1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Ware injures shoulder, status unclear for next week

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 23, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,461 Messages
    4,421 Likes Received
    _ Jimmy Burch

Dallas Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware, a six-time Pro Bowler, missed the fourth quarter because of a strained right shoulder and his status is unclear for next week. Ware never has missed a game in his Cowboys’ career.
    Ware, already playing with a hyperextended elbow, returned for one play in overtime _ to rush the passer on third-and-3 _ but was not on the field when the Saints gained 31 yards on the pass and recovered fumble play that set up their winning field goal.

Ware, the team’s sack leader (11.5), did not talk after the game. Fellow outside linebacker Anthony Spencer said Ware is “one of the best this game has ever seen” and having him on the sideline “just takes away stuff” from what the Cowboys’ defense can do schematically.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...es-shoulder-status-unclear-for-next-week.html
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,035 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Real tough loss... If he can't go it's going to be a huge problem next week.
  3. StarMan

StarMan Well-Known Member

1,009 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Victor Butler, the gem of our great 2009 draft class, will pick up the slack.:rolleyes:
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,938 Messages
    1,319 Likes Received
    You could have Spencer take Ware's role and drop Victor Butler in coverage and we'd hardly notice any difference in this defense.
  5. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,162 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    I think Ware plays in a limited role. Butler will have to step up.
  6. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,114 Messages
    700 Likes Received
    Right Jerry. This D wanted CB's, and he got them; they're relatively healthy. Giving up over 500 yards on defense is a disgrace.
  7. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I wish Ware could have taken today off. He was a non factor because of how banged up he is, plus now he's hurt even further. With the game vs. the Saints being irrelevant barring miracles, I wish he could have rested up and been somewhat fresh for Washington
  8. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,443 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    The pass defense is ranked 28th in the NFL as measured by opposing QB rating. Jerry got his CBs, but it hasn't markedly made a difference compared to last season.
  9. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,114 Messages
    700 Likes Received
    I agree. I'll leave the Jerry bashing aside but it just goes to show you how philosophically flawed this team is from the top on down. The GM has no vision and no idea how to build a team. His CB's are healthy and the D is still atrocious.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,938 Messages
    1,319 Likes Received
    That number would be way, way different if Lee, Carter, and even Church were playing. Look where all the completions and yardage come from before judging the DBs, it's not like QBs are hitting wide open WRs down the sidelines. They are working the middle of the field where corners are unable to make plays.

The LB and safety coverage in the middle of the field and in has been putrid. Add some poor tackling to that, and you've got a poor pass defense...but the CBs aren't really to blame.
  11. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    We have to have Ware to have a fighting chance.
  12. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Wait, I wanted DL as much as anyone, but when you lose 4 out of 5 starters in the middle of the defense you're going to be affected, I don't care who you are.

In 2009 the Steelers lost Troy Polamalu and their defense went into a death spiral.

It's not always easy to predict where the weak link will be in a defense, but you sure as Hell can predict by the end of the year someone will have found ways to exploit it.

Bottom line Jerry saw a weakness and went overboard trying to patch it. He doesn't understand you're not supposed to build a team that way.
  13. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,290 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    But we did not know if this game was going to be irrelevant or not until after the Giants played (and lost to) the Ravens. With Philly's woes, you couldn't expect them to put up much of a fight against the Giants in the final week so it was up to the Ravens to win, which thankfully they did. So Ware played and aggravated his injury. It happens.
  14. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,695 Messages
    1,714 Likes Received
    Victor Butler is an old speed bump against the run. Not good.
  15. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,443 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    Yes, but the same GM chose to draft two ILBs with college injury histories and have them man the middle.

The same GM pinned the hopes on the other safety positon on a UDFA in Barry Church who never had started a game before. He was considered borderline too slow to play the position BEFORE he blew his achilles.

The vast hole in the middle of the defense cannot be attributed <entirely> on bad luck -- this is how Jerry chose to build the defense.
  16. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Hey I never said it was realistic but Butler is better than Ware right now all things considered. Hopefully Ware has a big game next week and proves me wrong but his injury struggles have been showing damn near all season and there's no reason to believe he'll heal this week
  17. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,198 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    If he can go, I would rather start Butler and just use Ware on passing downs. He is not the same player right now. He has no power and only uses one arm. I would give him no more than 15 snaps.
  18. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,290 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    I understand. Even if Ware can play next week probably should limit his snaps.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,770 Messages
    3,439 Likes Received
    Don't you think that's a little unreasonable. Neither player had an injury projected to create problems in the future and both were considered first round picks. The loss of the first year to contribute was more than offset by their abilities both predraft and certainly since they now start.

You can't blame new injuries on the player, GM or coach. Even a new ACL is not attributable to some myth a player is injury prone. I do believe some players have problems with muscle pulls yada. But broken bones and torn ligaments and tendons cannot not be predicted by anything other than injuries like that occur more frequently with NFL football players.

Pull your agenda up. It's showing.
  20. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Not like if Ware was having a big impact lately. Would suck if he cant play, but he hasnt been great.