1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Warren Sapp may be cut...

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Nav22, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,453 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    "Numerous NFL sources have suggested Kiffin, 32, wants to rid the team of players who are close to his age or older.

Kiffin, sources say, doesn't want players with influence who might threaten his authority.

So team leaders such as fullback Zack Crockett, 34, and -- yes, believe it -- defensive tackle Warren Sapp, 34, are in big trouble. Even if Sapp, who admirably dropped 49 pounds in six months, comes to camp looking like a Pro Bowler, he's probably wasting his time."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/25/SPGOUR6B961.DTL

Rotoworld added that they could also use the added cap space to sign JaMarcus Russell.

So the question is... do we make a play for Sapp? Before you laugh, keep in imind that the guy had 10 sacks last year and proved he's still a force to be reckoned with at DT.

He's reportedly in great shape and seems like he'd be a GREAT fit in Wade Phillips' 3-4.

What do you think? Yea or nay on a 1-2 year deal for Sapp?

Will we even have the cap room after signing Anthony Spencer and James Marten?
  2. Achozen

Achozen Sounds From The Lair

5,077 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I bet the Redskins sign him..
  3. HardHittin'Witten

HardHittin'Witten This ain't Madden

2,559 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Why not? They try to sign everyone... and it never works. Please let them sign Sapp.
  4. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,453 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    Sure you want him in a 'Skins uni? The guy had 10 sacks last year... this led the league in sacks by a DT.

I'd love to see Jerry make a play for him on a 1-2 year deal.
  5. Garland powerplay

Garland powerplay Active Member

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thats alot of ifs but yeah that would be pretty good as long as he talks it o=
  6. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received

^^echo^^
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,565 Messages
    5,486 Likes Received
    It's not like that is a loaded Roster in Oakland. Cutting a productive player like Sapp doesn't make sense to me regardless of age.
  8. jman

jman Active Member

1,765 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think I'll answer this and 99% of the rest of these "They just cut (Fill in the Blank)...Do we want him? kinda questions with a ...

NO!
  9. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,872 Messages
    4,441 Likes Received
    I would love to have Sapp rotate with Fergy But only if the contract fits and we wouldnt cut a player who could potentially be a big tine player
  10. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would love to have Warren Sapp too in a Cowboy uniform.
  11. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    on a four man line, I agree completely. But the Raiders tried Sapp in the NT role with a 3-4, and it was a dreadful failure, IIRC. That's just not his thing - leastways not the way the Raiders ran it.

But now that I think about that, in Phillips' slanting one-gap (again, no idea what the Raiders 3-4 style was, so no point of comparison) defense - Sapp could possibly be an amazing success.
  12. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Depends on the money. Its not a real pressing need, in my opinion. Phillips said a while ago (and Ireland) that they like what we have at NT with Ferguson, Ola, Stanley....and that Spears and Ratliff could play some as well.

Where I like the idea is that it would make Ratliff a DE, which may be needed if Canty and Spears continue to be mediocre at best...it would give us the option of having Ratliff come in and possibly start at DE if the Canty/Spears tandem once again is less than impressive.
  13. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,199 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    It doesn't make any sense, which is why I don't put much stock into the suggestion.
  14. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,876 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Sapp sacked Steve McNair(twice), Ben Roethlisberger, Seneca Wallace, Jay Cutler(twice), David Carr, Marc Bulger, Trent Green and Chad Pennington this past season for his 10 sacks.

McNair was only sacked 14 times last year.

Big Ben was sacked 46 times.

Wallace played significant time at QB in 5 games and was sacked 14 times. The Seahawks gave up 34 sacks when Hasselback was playing.

David Carr always gets sacked. I think he was sacked twice while I was writing this post.

Bulger was sacked 49 times.

Green was sacked 24 times in 8 games.

Pennington was sacked 30 times.

Sapp has always been good at getting to the QB. The 10 sacks sticks out. A closer look shows that some of those teams weren't good at protecting their QBs and a couple of those QBs were young and inexperienced. I would not jump at signing Sapp.
  15. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    :omg: What a shocker :D
  16. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Don't you think the same principal is going to bear out for almost every sack leader in the league? They sack the bad QBs, and the teams with bad offensive lines - that's why those teams lead the league in sacks. (Chicken...egg....ya know?) I don't view that as an indictment against talent anymore than I do "His numbers were better against bad defenses." Well...no duh, right? They are "bad defenses" because guys like Tony Romo beat up on them.
  17. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,314 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Just the wording alone sounds very suspicious and more like some schmuck trying to stir up controverse.
  18. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,939 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    :muttley:
  19. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,574 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    i would be very surprised if the raiders cut sapp
  20. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,960 Messages
    1,995 Likes Received
    sapp isnt a 3-4NT. why? because he's not very strong, using more of his quickness. in the 3-4, he played DE not NT