1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Was Jack the Ripper a Woman?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Hostile, May 10, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,696 Likes Received
    http://news.yahoo.com/jackie-ripper-infamous-serial-killer-woman-211027739.html

It's history's most famous unsolved crime spree. In 1888, a serial killer who came to be known as Jack the Ripper gruesomely murdered five prostitutes in London's Whitechapel district. More than 100 men, from Lewis Carroll to Queen Victoria's grandson, have since been labeled suspects, and the guesswork has spawned an entire field of study, known as "Ripperology." Now, a new book turns the speculation on its head, by arguing that Jack the Ripper was actually a woman.

John Morris, a retired lawyer living in Ireland, has implicated Lizzie Williams, the wife of the physician Sir John Williams, who was himself labeled a Ripper suspect in a 2005 book. Morris claims Lizzie killed the prostitutes out of anger over being infertile. Despair over her condition is also what drove her to remove the wombs of three of her victims.

In his book, "Jack The Ripper: The Hand Of A Woman" (Seren, 2012), Morris cites as evidence the fact that none of the five murdered prostitutes was sexually assaulted, and that the personal items of one, Annie Chapman, were laid out at her feet "in a feminine manner." Moreover, three small buttons from a woman's boot were found in blood near the body of another victim, and remnants of women's clothing, including a cape, skirt and hat, were found in the fireplace ashes of a third victim, Mary Kelly. These items did not belong to the victims.
  2. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

7,519 Messages
    2,745 Likes Received
    I read that too. Have always been interested in this, traditional folklore to me (like bigfoot, nessie, etc) but was real.

It very well could have been a woman, but I suspect we will never know for sure, happened too long ago and all are deceased who had any connection with the case.

Personally, I like it this way, it keeps the mystery alive.
  3. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,696 Likes Received
    I got hooked on unsolved mysteries and serial killers because of this story.
  4. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

7,519 Messages
    2,745 Likes Received
    Me too. The wife and I watch a lot of the ID channel for just this kind of stuff.
  5. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Very interesting...
  6. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Or it really was a man who was cross dressing.

You know the English...

:D
  7. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I blame O.J.
  8. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

5,459 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    have you ever looked into the Zodiac killer? Thats a fascinating case as well.
  9. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

13,666 Messages
    968 Likes Received
    Case solved:holmes:
  10. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,696 Likes Received
    Yes, I have. I've always believed Zodiac was Arthur Leigh Allen because of the watch. Of course the handwriting and DNA evidence have since made this seem very wrong.
  11. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

7,298 Messages
    2,409 Likes Received
    Patricia Cornwell wrote a good book about the Ripper. She conclusively named Walter Sickert(sp?) as the killer but lots disagree. I have heard it was an American doctor, a mortuary worker, and it goes on and on. In her book the last killing, the one where he had time to do what he wanted with her, I would never have believed somebody could do that to another person. The picture was sickening. There was nothing left of her. What a crazy sick person.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,577 Messages
    2,181 Likes Received
    for quite a while a woman serial killer was considered just about impossible which also played into all this.

Now we ALL know a woman can be even more vicious then any man so it is certainly possible.

And considering the times no one would have thought it was a woman anyway so any evidence that hinted that way would have been ignored.
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,597 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    There are some awesome Jack the Ripper documentaries and books out there. (some not so awesome too)
  14. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

5,459 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    I think a lot people did as well, I wish they could solve that case, but I doubt they ever will unless something crazy happens like a family is going through their grandfathers stuff and find the big costume he wore when he attacked the couple at the lake. The guy at www.zodiakiller.com has done a ton of work on this case and has a forum full of info, if you get the urge to read more in depth about the case as well as see who they're currently talking about as potential suspects.

I got a big headache and finally had to give up on reading and discussing the case, the lack of closure drives me nuts
  15. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You....you....
  16. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

7,308 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Haven't read the book ---but the buttond and the lack of sexual assault doesn't work ..Many serial murders likr that the murder its self is the sexual release...for what its worth
  17. BoysFan4ever

7,298 Messages
    2,409 Likes Received
    Maybe I am skeptical because I am a girl but I don't think those killings were done by a woman.
  18. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,562 Messages
    612 Likes Received
    the biggest problem with modern day people trying to explain an event from history is they try to put it in todays perspective and you cant do that. For a woman to have done that, wow where would she have gotten the training to do such a percise cut up of a person? Just being a wife of a doctor does not bring on that kind of talent and dont tell me women can do anything that a man can do, wasnt common back than.

i dont think they ever considered people that failed in the medical world but were able to do it, something else failed them, grades, non professional, stuff like that. Dont get me wrong, when it came to criminal investigation back than scotland yard was the best of the best. Still very good today. Im sure this still haunts them today.
  19. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,696 Likes Received
    It's a great theory, and a good talking point, but I 100% agree with you. They were hookers who thought they had a customer.
  20. BoysFan4ever

7,298 Messages
    2,409 Likes Received
    there is a documentary that is shown periodically on one of the cable shows where they actually tested somehow to see if a woman did it. I am fuzzy on the details but I think they tested strength and how fast the women were slashed & they pretty much ruled it out being a woman. Some of the cuts were to the bone..horrific wounds..and almost to a man the "experts" who know the tinest details of the case agree it was a man. It has got to be the biggest "who done it" of all time. And as much as it sickens me to see those pictures I'm right there myself wondering who did do it! Walter Sickert? Patricia Cornwell is one smart cookie & she said he did it.

Lizzie Borden is another case..did she? I think in that case she did do it.