1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Washington Redskins Picks

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 30, 2007.

1. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,603 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    The skins may be good next year but you state some of the biggest homer stances I see from Skin fans since the memory has begun to fade from your awful season.

1) Our defense couldn't recover when we lost "the Pierson Pierlou". All I heard last year from Skin fans is they had plenty of depth and their way of building was the right way. Well one injury to a journeyman safety rips the defense to shreds. Sorry, I don't buy it.

2) the forgetting how bad Carter was the first half of the year and then after a few solid games he is back to being a pass rush terror. Fact is, he was awful when you needed him and only produced down the stretch when the season was down the drain. Will he be better next year? Maybe...maybe not. Forgetting how bad he was when your season still meant something is looking thru redskin colored glasses at its best. There are plenty of players from bad teams who put up stats when their season is well over who prove to be frauds. See Brandon Lloyd.

Now, I am a fan who thinks the Skins aren't as bad as most Cowboy fans think. I just don't agree how they build a team. I think they can have success but it is not the right way to build long term due to lack of depth that will likely be hard to overcome in most years. But hey, if they get hot at the right time like they did two years ago they could be pretty good. Although, I think struggling with depth issues will most likely reappear more often then avoiding the injury bug to a shallow team.
  2. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Typical Cowboys fan. When you have no argument bring out the "homer" card

Fact is, if you watched the Redskins D of 2005, you saw Prielou in many of the "pass" packages. These packages allowed the corner blitzing from Shawn Springs, or Marcus Washington to come in on blitzes. Blitzes that forced Drew Bledsoe to fumble on the 1st possesion of the 2nd half. To be honest I could care less if you "buy it" or not, you are wrong.

Journey man? Yes. Key component to the pass D? Yes
    Carter was downright embarrasing at the start of the season. Yet for all the grief he took he played well against mobile QB's (Vick) or helped stuff an O (the Saints) which tore your D a new hole. Having played OLB in a 3-4 the past 2 years, the adjustment period was made and he came on to end the season. Brandon Lloyd would be gone if not for his sickening cap number, so trying to compare him and Carter is laughable

The Saints game is actually one that really gives me a lot of hope for the D. The Saints with a chance to clinch a division title at home were stuffed by the worst D Greg Williams has produced in DC, a D that by that time had several key injuries

Hey maybe we can continue to stock pile picks and trade back and never use them and not win a playoff game for over a decade? That seems to me a MUCH better way to build a team. But thats neither here nor there
  3. skinsngibbs4life

skinsngibbs4life Active Member

1,382 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Where are thin this year? This years roster is SO much different then last year.

We added depth at cornerback, linebacker, and safety (all positions that were lacking). So I dont really see where your argument is valid.

I could see it being of use last year, but this year we acutally made signing backups a priority, rather then signing the high profile guys
  4. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Last year there was some priority with it. The problem was they sucked :lmao2:

Kenny Wright is awful as is Mike Rumph. Smoot and Macklin are both better CB's then those 2 bums

The hope is that Springs and Prealou are both healthy this year. That will make a HUGE difference, as will the return of Omar Stoutmaire (whoever thought I would actually like that dude after the cheap shot he gave Leslie Shepard in the 1997 Skins-Cowboys game.)
  5. kTXe

kTXe On To The Next One

1,488 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    OK, here is my attempt at being unbiased.

I really like Landry and pairing him with Taylor automatically gives you the most feared safety tandem in the league. Not the best, the most feared. They both have their coverage deficiencies, however.

Now, I will also say that I liked that he was the 'Skins choice. I really thought that Jamaal Anderson was the best pick there, and someone that could have made an immediate impact on your defense. I have always believed that an excellent passrush improves everything on the defense by leaps and bounds...you can't say the same thing about the secondary. In the same vein, the lack of a great passrush can completely derail an otherwise good defense, like yours last year. The personnel is already there for you guys in the back 7, IMO. Passing on a potential star DE is a big mistake.
  6. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Skins won't get 30 sacks again this year... that's your bottom line...

And if they can't generate consistent pressure on the QB, your DBs will once again be victimized...
  7. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Can't disagree with this assesment. And who knows how Landry will turn out when its all said and done

Eh this is where we disagree. I don't think many people saw Anderson being worth that 6th pick and don't see him as a Julius Pepper type who can come in right away and make a MAJOR impact. Will he be a 10 plus sack guy off the bat? I really don't know to be honest. I would have loved him in a trade down scenario but not at number 6

As for the secondary having the players already, eh, not last year. This year's secondary is deeper where in if Springs is out Smoot can step in and be solid (unlike that bum Wright) and if one safety does go down it doesn't blow the secondary

I think this secondary is far more versatile and can bring pressure. This same d-line helped the Redskins produce pretty consistant pressure in 2004 and 2005, which tells me that a major problem was the back 7
  8. SkinsHokieFan

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I'll make a wager with you that the D gets more then 30 sacks. You are in the VA area so we can meet up

But again, I point to 2004 and 2005. There was no "stud" defensive end and our d-line was average at best. Yet we stuffed the run and put consistant pressure on QB's (which helped us win a playoff game ;) )

The back 7 in 2006 was putrid. Injuries and just a lack of talent to be honest. Will these guys be better? I really can't say either way, but I'll take my chances with the 2007 secondary over the 2006 secondary
  9. McCordsville Cowboy

McCordsville Cowboy Pro-Quinn

4,315 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  10. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It's amazing how dumb the Redskins were for picking Landry. While there could be some logic involved, there wasn't. It was a ******** move. I shall explain.

To pick Landry based on need: Landry will probably be a strong safety in the NFL. The Redskins have Sean Taylor. While Landry will be better than Taylor, they didn't need another strong safety. [X]

Redskins needed better coverage: Landry is fast, but he is still more of a strong safety than a cover free safety. Defensive pressure, is more important to coverage, than a strong (or even a free) safety. [X][X]

Pick the best player available: Missed here again. The Redskins picked at #6, yet Adrian Peterson was drafted #7. The three top players in the draft were Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, and Adrian Peterson. [X][X][X]

Taking Landry was incredibly dumb. The Redskins didn't have any picks until the fifth round!!! The Redskins didn't have a choice. They should have traded down for anything. With the sixth pick in the draft, they could have traded down to the lower end of the first, a second and many even next years second. They could have then traded next years second for a 3rd this year giving them a 1, 2, and 3 to go along with their 5th, (2) 6th and a 7th.

Instead, they have a dupe player at strong safety. Duping the Redskin fan base again. The definition of insanity is to repeat the same process over and over again expecting different results. The Redskins personal decisions are a perfect example of insanity in full force.
  11. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,876 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I actually thought that the Redskins showed some discipline in their draft this weekend. Landry was arguably the best value at that point, and he may be a special player. IMHO, I believe that they will continue to suffer from bad decisions that have resulted in overpriced free agents, the loss of most of the meat of their draft, and the belief that they are "contenders" every year for the Super Bowl.
    If they keep their next year's draft choices intact and continue with a disciplined approach, then they will again contend. While they have some good players,(Santana Moss, Sean Taylor, Clinton Portis) their roster is still stocked with several overpaid underachievers, (Renaldo Wynn, Antwaan Randle El, Brandon Lloyd are three that leap to mind immediately ) several role players who have desire and give max performance, (Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright are good examples) and a variety of players who have not distinguished themselves and who have not been difference makers this past season.
    Until they establish an identity that distinguishes themselves from others and until they get real chemistry that their high-paid coaching staff was expected to create, the Skins will continue to struggle.
    If everybody continues to run against the Skins and if they struggle with the pash rush this year, then it could be a long season. What that might do is identify how they will need to draft next year.
    If Snyder is able to allow the football people to do their job, that might be the biggest difference.
  12. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Adrian Peterson was still on the board. There were three players in this draft that were well above all the other players. Peterson, Johnson, and Thomas. Without question, I think they all should have went 1, 2, 3. The Raiders were stupid last year not to take Matt Leinart. That would have allowed them to take Joe Thomas this year. So, they not only paid a steep price last year for not taking Leinart, but paid another steep price this year because they couldn't take Joe Thomas.

Landry is a great talent, but he's not in the same class as Adrian Peterson.
  13. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    to counter, Andre Carter has been an average pass-rusher for years, and continued it last year, even in his "amazing" run to end the season

ok, you added Fred Smoot who bites on fakes and gets burned trying to make the big play, and a rookie to start at S along w/ Taylor, I hope you don't believe that a rookie safety is going to be able to hold up in coverage w/o a pass-rush

I know the ones, the ones that got figured out since the league has 2 years of tape on them, and lol at your Dallas example, you guys took advantage of one of the worst bookends at OT the NFL has seen in a few years

that's cool, but he doesn't have a pass-rush to help him

it worked horribly in '06 because teams figured out Greg WIlliams' scheme, all you have to do to defeat it is to throw quick passes

that all becomes moot w/o a pass-rush, again, your pass-rush may improve, but you only accounted for 19 sacks last year, so it's not going to be that big of an improvement to really help your D

which you aren't going to get next year, could have used him more than Landry
  14. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,938 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    I love how Redskin fans continue to look at their last game against us in 2005 as some kind of barometer of how good they can be.....

Let me remind you that we were missing Flo and Gurode. Rob Pettiti was our starting RT. Rivera had to leave the game with a neck injury. Mix that patchwork OL with Drew Bledsoe....well, you get the idea.

In our first meeting with you that year we controlled your blitzing. We weren't so injured on the OL then.....

Back to the point.

Well, I happen to like the Landry pick. I think he was the best defensive player on the board. I think he makes your secondary better.

But there are so many weaknesses on your team, you couldn't possibly fill them all with ONE pick on the first day. With all your first day picks, I think you possibly could have strenghed the rest of your team. But your owner frittered them away on bad players in FA.
  15. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,892 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Carter had sacks against mostly lousy offensive tackles like Wayne Gandy, Bob Whitfield, and Todd Steussie. He did get a sack against Jammal Brown. Also, he couldn't stop the run to save his life last season.

YAKUZA
  16. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    good stuff, Carter alone isn't going to improve the Dline play by that much
  17. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,511 Messages
    4,746 Likes Received
    Here is my summation. It is long, so if you don't have the time, do not read.

:laugh2:
  18. skinsngibbs4life

1,382 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

And yet, you would be bashing the skins even more if they took peterson while still having portis and betts on the roster.

This is just a horrid attempt to belittle a team just because they are your archrivals. I mean, if you really want to come out and bash our draft, then use the logical way of saying we needed to draft an obvious need at line, not antoher RB

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
  19. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,511 Messages
    4,746 Likes Received
    Not at all, imbecile.

We'd just be bashing the front office and questioning whether or not they could find a way to move one of the other two.

Your draft was doomed before it started.

Had your front office been somewhat proactive and got more choices in a very active draft, maybe the criticisms you would hear would be more to your liking.

But up and down, critic to critic, you had a bad draft.

And that is because your team doesn't take it seriously.

Now, run along and go play in other areas of the forum.

This one isn't safe for you. You might get hurt.
  20. skinsngibbs4life

1,382 Messages
    0 Likes Received

well obviously a draft was doomed from the start when you only have 1 first day pick.

But of course, that wasn't the topic what was discussed by NYC. Of course, he was talking about our first round pick, not the entire draft. But you still had to come in with something irrelevent to what was being discussed between me and him just to come in with a bash of the team.

Now, back to what NYC said. I would also like to add to what i posted before, that Sean Taylor isn't even a strong safety, he is a free safety. So this would ultimatly bring down his entire theory of drafting for need, because, in fact, we do have a hole at the SS position.