1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Washington Redskins Picks

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 30, 2007.

1. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,253 Messages
    45 Likes Received

You can still be respected. But its not as if you are suddenly going to think anything positive of the Redskins because of posts I put on here

I don't expect that at all. I expect a good debate when I come here, but I also expect to have a difficult time getting you folks to see things my way
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    I actually respect every team and all the players. That doesn't mean I root for them though. My way of showing respect is that I don't go on other team's websites and act like a jerk. I don't respect that done here by other teams fans and I don't respect my fellow fans doing it. It isn't all that difficult really.
  3. justcheckinuout

justcheckinuout Member

39 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's cool with me.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,209 Likes Received
    Good, then post more okay?
  5. MossBurner

MossBurner New Member

505 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Last time I checked, it takes two teams to complete a trade. Clearly, no one wanted to trade up that high for Quinn or anyone else.

Others might argue that improving the secondary would give the the line more time to reach the QB. Or, like in 04 when the defense was a strength, allow Williams to send CBs and LBs in blitz schemes.
  6. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    that's a valid argument, but it's more effective if you're applying pressure, so to give the secondary less time to screw up
  7. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Personally, I think Landry was the right choice. The kid can play. They wanted to get the best player available. I think the Skins got the best bang for their buck, and he's as close to a can't miss candidate (none of them are locks) that you can ask for at #6.

Of course, that doesn't mean drafting a star running back when you already have Portis and Betts on the roster, drafting another QB when you already have a lot of time and money invested in Campbell or reaching for a project defensive end is a very smart idea; it's very risky - we're talking a lot of money - yeah, I know when have the Skins ever been wise with their money? ;)

Last year, I think there was a lot more problems on the Skins defense than meets the eye. These media experts take one look at the Skins sack and interception totals and automatically assume that the defensive line was the biggest problem on the defense - they're wrong.

In Gregg WIlliams first year here in DC, the media here HOUNDED HIM, "Gregg what are you going to do with that godawful dline" "Gregg you can't compete in this league with those guys".

If you look at Williams defense during his tenure while he's been in DC, the defensive line has -- from a pass rushing standpoint -- always been the achilles heel of the defense. They've never really had any "stars" on the line - though, some might argue that Daniels and Carter are paid like they are. Yet his defenses produced at at least a top ten level in his first two years.

The biggest problems on the defense last year resided in the secondary.

Springs and Prioleau couldn't stay healthy, while Carlos Rogers was exploited; not to mention the whole mystery revolving around Adam Archuletta and his benching; apparently, he can't cover - I know, the rest of the league already knew this, but it was news to the Skins :)

What most people seem to forget is that, In the first two years of the Gregg Williams project, the group was solid against the run. Even last year, the line seemed to hold up against the run until later in the games - you know, after Wright and Rumph and ol' Carlos had been torched all afternoon.

He's been able to hide this weakness through blitzing linebackers corners and safeties in the past; when they tried to do that last year, their secondary was absolutely torn apart.

History shows that Gregg Williams defenses can compete at a top level in this league, and I have no reason to believe that the Skins defense will fall completely off the face of the planet, like they did last year, if the secondary can remain healthy and Landry can make an impact.

As far as the rest of the draft, the Skins traded away too many picks to get a good grade.