1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Waters will not play Sunday

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Sep 3, 2013.

1. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

521 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Looks like one of JG's brothers. Heck Eatman could kidnap Garrett and take his place on the sideline without anyone noticing.
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,052 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    You certainly don't tip your hand on any player's status.

I suspect we might just see Waters on Sunday. People talk about him needing to learn the playbook etc., but any experienced player should be able to get up to speed on the playbook quickly -- how many different blocking plays are we realistically talking about?
  3. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,610 Messages
    3,863 Likes Received
    It is not just the playbook. Conditioning as well. He could be in "great shape" but not in football shape. We've seen that enough times in early training camp where players with far less time off have to work to get back to that stage.

I just do not get the rush. It needs to be done right.
  4. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

987 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Free is back at right tackle and Mack is practicing at right guard on the first team. Waters is practicing on the second team right guard. I could see Waters and Mack sharing snaps on Sunday.
  5. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Really? So he actually may see some action Sunday?
  6. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,080 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    I doubt it had anything to do with Waters deciding he wanted to play at the last minute. IMO , this was simple negotiation tactic by both sides. Waters: I want 2.5 million plus incentives to play. Cowboys said, fine, we will agree but we sign you after week 1 so your salary is not guaranteed OR we pay you 1.7 (or whatever the real amount is) plus incentives and we sign you now. In the end, Waters thought that 1.7 guaranteed was better than 2.5 not guaranteed (or whatever the real numbers were/are).. so he signed before the first game. I doubt it had anything to do with Free, or anything other than guaranteed vs non guaranteed salary and the two coming to an agreement on those amounts.
  7. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,793 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    Agreed, he has blocked in both zone and man schemes in his time in the league.
  8. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Translation: he feels entitled.
  9. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Why would he be able to play Sunday? We're not talking about a guy with Moose Johnston's mental ability here.
  10. onlyonenow

onlyonenow Benched

102 Messages
    11 Likes Received

guess what

A six Time Pro Bowler and multiple All Pro IS entitled.
  11. onlyonenow

onlyonenow Benched

102 Messages
    11 Likes Received

now you know how smart he is. You really are a font of disinformation, arent you?
    Wheeltax likes this.
  12. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    So he can grasp a new playbook in a matter of days? Without practicing?
  13. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Entitled to miss practice and camp?

I'll be honest, I'm glad he is here, and this stuff happens. But if he knew he was going to sign, then he should have showed up to a few practices and film sessions. Hopefully, we've been in contact with him.

Other than his late start, I'm thrilled about Waters.
  14. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,308 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    He was the NFL Man of the Year, and he's known as an incredibly smart player with tremendous leadership skills. Patriots fans give him a huge amount of credit for their Super Bowl run in 2011.

When the player in Kansas City committed suicide at the facilities after killing his girlfriend, the NFLPA chose Waters to go to Kansas City and talk to the team.
    CowboyMcCoy and Wheeltax like this.
  15. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,308 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    He did it in New England. Came in later than he did here, started 16 games, went to the Pro Bowl, and started in the Super Bowl.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,113 Messages
    4,033 Likes Received
    He is entitled. Entitled to sign his contract whenever he wants, if a team still wants him. I can't blame the guy for that. I do wish he wanted to be ready for week one, though.
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,388 Messages
    2,939 Likes Received
    Especially if a team like the Dallas Cowboys are begging.
  18. AbeBeta

25,052 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    Conditioning is the issue. Not playbook. But we are talking about whether he can go the full game vs. having Bern replace him at some point in Game 1. Gee, Bern for all the snaps vs. Bern for less than all the snaps. Hmmmm
  19. AbeBeta

25,052 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    Put that on Jerry and Stephen. They could have gotten him in here last week.
  20. AbeBeta

25,052 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    Some posters here make certain assumptions about players with certain characteristics.