1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Watkins: Cowboys weekend mailbag

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,066 Messages
    5,571 Likes Received
    Feb 24
    11:00
    AM CT
    By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

With the scouting combine heating up, we'll answer a few of your questions in our weekend mailbag.

Q: Even though I hated to see Rob Ryan go I like the thought of playing 4-3 and lining up and playing football. What do you think? Aceboogie (Jacksonville, Fla.)

A: The only issue I have with the 4-3 defense is whether or not the Cowboys have the personnel to implement it. If the Cowboys lose Anthony Spencer in free agency, you have to find a defensive end. Is it Jason Hatcher? Sean Lissemore? Tyrone Crawford? Someone else? The Cowboys don't have a lot of money to play with in free agency after they get under the $121 million salary cap. The other outside linebacker is another issue. Is it Kyle Wilber? Alex Albright? Someone else? Do you try and bring Victor Butler back? Finding players at those two spots are issues, not major ones, but important enough to worry about. Other than those two positions the Cowboys have the talent to move to a 4-3.

Q: As a huge Cowboys fan, it bothers me that we have moved from a focus on the offensive and defensive line to specialty players. If you look at great teams, even of the Cowboys, it starts with the line. Do you think this year will be a focus for the 'Boys during the draft? Herb Bennett (Valdosta, Ga.)

A: I don't believe the Cowboys have forgotten about the offensive and defensive lines. If you remember last season they signed two guards in free agency, totaling $30 million. It's hard for most NFL teams to find offensive line help. That's just the way it is. But saying that, the Cowboys also need some help in the skill position areas: running backs and safeties are two positions worth improving. The best thing for the Cowboys to do at this stage of their development as a franchise is to draft the best player available. If at No. 18, the best player is a running back, get him and challenge DeMarco Murray. If the best player at No. 18 is a defensive end, select him and add more depth to the defensive line. It's not about moving away from the defensive or offensive lines, it's about making your team better.

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705941/cowboys-weekend-mailbag-2
  2. followthestar

followthestar Active Member

2,083 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    BPA is misleading in some ways. If the best player available is a QB, do you take him or the guy rated next-highest, who is a highly-regarded Safety or RB? Or do you trade down? We have to trust our GM to make the right call to bring in the right personnel to make our team better. Always taking the BPA could mean you end up with 4 awesome WRs and nobody to throw them the ball even if he had time in the pocket to find them...
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,066 Messages
    2,833 Likes Received
    I agree. I think it is BPA that also fits a need. Not one or the other. BPA is important but you also have to fill areas of need