1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We are RIGHT there

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Nors, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lets break it down

Carolina - We beat them
    Seattle on Road we make a chipshot FG and win it
    Denver - Beat them too sans FG miss - lose in OT

Steelers? - gave them all they could handle last year.

We have the nucleus that could do it next year with another majical draft class....
  2. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hmm. I see three out of four losses--and the Carolina win was a semi-miracle. You're quite the liberal grader.
  3. lane

lane The Chairman

11,021 Messages
    883 Likes Received
    i know nors........it's pretty damn painful watching the playoffs this year .
  4. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,205 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    We couldn't make the playoffs.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
  5. goshan

goshan Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,910 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Don't get confused.
    We wouldn't have scored 10 points against any team in the playoffs.
    Our o-line is horrible and our D-line gets pushed around by the best teams.

Carolina didn't show up for us--they are clearly better.

Denver was the best we played all season.

But the Giants, Rams, Skins and Eagles totally dominatyed our offense the last half of the season. In a big game we wouldn't have been able to do anything.

Not trying to be negative but with an oline like ours there is no chance to win in the playoffs.
  6. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    A healthy Dallas team could have made some noise, I believe. It didn't work out that way, and I won't cry about it. But I don't think it's coincidence that the teams that are winning are all relatively healthy.
  7. goshan

goshan Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,910 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    We had less injuries than almost any team in the playoffs. The Injury excuse is plain silly.
  8. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We beat Carolina
    Denver beat us in OT by 3
    Seattle beat us with last second FG

Both those losses we make a FG we win.

Just wanted the facts out there. We are right there. None of these teams are heads and shoulders better than us by any means.
  9. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Even if that WERE true Nors, let's just say it is.

Doesn't that make it all the more painful finishing 9-7 and sitting on the Couch for the Playoffs for the 2nd straight year?

- Mike G.
  10. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Painful - Yes

Just trying to throw some promise out there. I get real sick of all the chicken littles and gloomers painting how much we suck. When in fact we are right there. One offseason away from making a real run.
  11. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh okay.

Yeah, I am right there with you that is why I have a hard time giving Parcells a pass because this team has so much talent on both sides of the ball and we failed to make the playoffs.

The 35-7 blowout loss to Washington really stands out here, seeing how they played in the Playoffs.

That really is my point in saying Parcells didnt deserve a raise and this season was not successful as we were better than some of the squad that got it...I really believe that but you have to prove it on the Gridiron.

- Mike G.
  12. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Yep, I posted almost the exact same message you did, 8 minutes before you did, hehe.

We are darn close. Nobody in NFC impresses me as being anywhere near significantly better than us. An upgrade at Field Goal kicker and fill a few holes, luck with injuries etc .... who knows.

I do agree that with horrible oline play our RB's, QB, and WR couldn't produce enough points this year. Next year, if addressed though......?

Larry
  13. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I wasn't trying to use injuries as an excuse. The Flozell loss hurt this team in a horrible way, but I won't make excuses about it because that is part of the game, and everything shouldn't have just completely fallen apart the way that it did.

I still think that if Dallas had kept a couple of guys healthy, it could have been a different story. As is, I think the team showed their immaturity at times, and that is what killed them.
  14. marsbennett

marsbennett Mars Man

1,068 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If by 'right there' you mean that we need 2 or 3 Olinemen, a couple of LB's, a safety, a kicker, an impact WR, and quite possibly a OC and a QB for after Bledsoe, then yes, I agree we are 'right there'.
  15. Drederick Tatum

Drederick Tatum Member

269 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They are playing in their respective Championship games, we are 9-7 and didnt make the playoffs, I'd say that's pretty head and shoulders...
  16. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,922 Messages
    4,487 Likes Received
    Nors, I'm right here with you on this one buddy. Good RT play with steady OL play, few key injuries, and good S play with Bledsoe, Glenn, and Key staying healthy for sure are keys.

Got your back on this one. We are closer than I thought two weeks ago which is my problem in judgment then; perhaps disappointment???
  17. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I agree with the premise of Nors' post. You just need to get in the playoffs and get on a roll. We aren't that far away in today's NFL.

Parcells knows what he sees and he told Shanahan after our game with Denver that his team, (Denver), could go places this year and Parcells said ours could as well.

We just didn't play well after the Thanksgiving loss to Denver. That loss took a lot out of our team.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,081 Messages
    1,936 Likes Received
    I didn't see anyone say they were head and shoulders better.
  19. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    We are thin on this roster. It's that simple. I don't know if stats are kept on these things but I'd be willing to wager that we lost less starter to injuries than most teams

The reason our injuries had the impact they did is because the roster is STILL thin.
  20. scottsp

scottsp Well-Known Member

2,289 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    This is the NFL. Been that way for a while now. Yes, we were close in those games. Could have won. But the San Francisco 49ers pushed us to the brink as well. I hate quoting Bill Parcells, but we are what we are.

There are some really nice things about this team, but there are some pretty substantial issues looming. Dunno if those games, the narrow margins anyway, are the barometers we should be using.