1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We had 8 possessions last night...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Nav22, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,453 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    Well, 9 if you count the last-ditch effort with 17 seconds left. I don't.

Of the 8 legit possessions, 2 ended thanks to 3rd down drops (Ogletree, Austin).

Another ended thanks to getting stuffed on 3rd and inches. A nice play by Atlanta but one that doesn't happen if the OL can execute for just a moment's time.

That's 3 possessions out of 8 that we just bumbled away on our own. That's 37.5% of our offense's opportunities.

And in each of those instances, we would have had a 1st down in Falcons territory. So that's up to 21 potential points that could've been.

We do this to ourselves seemingly every week. Collinsworth said it best after Miles' drop: "If you want to know the story of the 2012 Dallas Cowboys, it's plays like that."

Of the remaining 5 possessions, we scored 3 times. Not bad. Of course, 2 of those were mere field goals, but points are points.

If you're keeping score at home... of our 5 failed possessions, the Falcons stopped the Cowboys 2 times, while the Cowboys stopped the Cowboys 3 times.

And that's why we are where we are.
  2. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Nice post. It is one thing to simply say the Cowboys beat themselves, and quite another to prove it.
  3. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Miles and Dez both suck. I don't wanna see anymore vs threads about them. I should've known they were trash when they had no comeback for Roddy clowning them. No way they didn't get wind of those comments. TO would've fired back at Roddy off and on the field. Disgusting.
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    And don't forget the Dunbar drop that would have been a first down that forced us to kick a FG. That's potentially 4 more points on the board as well.
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Yeah! This defense played great!!!! We held them to 19 points...

Lolololol
  6. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,433 Messages
    911 Likes Received
    Austin made some nice plays. Granted, that one drop ruins it all, but he went down to get a couple of low throws and fought hard in traffic to pick up extra yards.

Dez was nonexistent. Some of that might have been because of his injury, and some because of lost trust.
  7. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,407 Messages
    2,248 Likes Received
    Nav, great post. Collinsworth nailed it and so did you.

What I don't understand is this.

After the Giants game Garrett made a remark the reason he did not runn on 3rd and short is the Giants were better suited to stop that play.

So he has a recognition of when success of a play is sketchy.

So why did he run into the line against Atl stacking 9 in the freakin box?

Do we NEVER spread them wide with receivers and then run? Or pass for that matter.
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Chalk that one up to injuries. Costa is a good run blocker -- and Murray is greatly missed.

I know that teams need to go "next man up" - but we've lost Rat, Lissemore, Murray, Costa, Church, and Sean Lee for substantial periods. And we played with a not healthy Witten for several games. These are big losses and they hurt in close games
  9. OklahomaCowboy88

OklahomaCowboy88 Benched

265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you can't get 12 inches in the NFL, you dont deserve to be in the NFL. Sadly, our offensive line and running back position is full of guys who don't deserve to be in the NFL.
  10. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,407 Messages
    2,248 Likes Received
    Garrett is an idiot for calling that play.
  11. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Exactly. So lets throw Parnell in and make it obvious to the entire civilized world what is coming. That play was doomed from the start. Jerry should burn that part of the playbook.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,176 Messages
    2,021 Likes Received
    Had really hoped that our FA signing of Vickers would have solved a great deal of this issue. Alas, not so much.
  13. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Vickers got owned on that play. Get leverage dude! Ran into the hole upright.
  14. Paniolo22

Paniolo22 Hawaiian Cowboy

3,624 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    How about the 54 yd fg attempt? Wth?!? Defense was playing great at that point. Didn't make sense...
  15. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,031 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    how many of Garrett's decision make sense?
  16. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    If you look at the average score of any game in the NFL, holding a team to 19 points should be enough to win. I honestly do not blame the defense at all for the loss to Atlanta.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I'll chalk that one up to trotting out a formation that plays right into the defenses hands.

Dallas has a weak OL. They barely win one-on-one's on a consistant basis.

You can't let a defense stack the line when you're 5 guys up front can't get it done when they don't stack the line. Adding Parnell, an even weaker player than what is on the field, isn't helping.

After watching the OL get zero push on the goal line in back to back plays last week, there's no way Dallas should have given the Falcons the same opportunity to stop them.

They should not have gone back to that formation.
  18. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,093 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    How many times do you let Atlanta pass a 15-20 yarder down the middle of the field until you stop the play?
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Trying a QB sneak every now and then probably wouldn't hurt.

I saw Palmer sneak for a full 2 yards the other day. 2 inches seems to be too far for Dallas to attempt it.
  20. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,242 Messages
    1,448 Likes Received
    Me either.. not at all. The offense didn't help them one bit. Romo overthrew Beasley in the endzone, overthrew other receivers, underthrew Romo in the endzone, WR's dropped balls, etc. We lost that game because of the offense, not the defense.