1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We need to Draft a Pass Rusher, We don't have One

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GiveDezdaBall88, Apr 17, 2014.

1. GiveDezdaBall88

GiveDezdaBall88 Active Member

337 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    If you guys thought our defense was bad last year, that will be nothing compared to this crap who if we dont get a pass rusher.
  2. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,824 Messages
    690 Likes Received
    We need to draft 3 or 4 of them and throw them up against the wall and see if one of them sticks!
    Risen Star and CowboyFan74 like this.
  3. GiveDezdaBall88

337 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Hopefully Barr is there, he's boom or bust but I like his ceiling.
  4. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,337 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    We definately need some pass rusher(s). I'd like to see them add a couple really. We're going to need a lot of help on that front, IMO.
  5. GiveDezdaBall88

337 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    It's pitiful how bad it is.
  6. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

238 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    In rounds 1,2, and 3 if we don't come away with a DE and DT it would be disappointing to me.
  7. GiveDezdaBall88

337 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Ya they need to go for DL rounds 1 and 2.
  8. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,452 Messages
    2,060 Likes Received
    There will be DT and DE in rds 1-3 of this draft that can start and make an impact

Question is if we will pick them
  9. GiveDezdaBall88

337 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    We better find the right guy or our defense will be scary bad.
    Bwareinrings94 likes this.
  10. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,712 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    So, you are basically already writing off Melton, Selvie, Crawford, Bass, Mincey, and McClain. None of these guys can get the job done rushing the passer? But, you are willing to put a lot of faith in an unknown draft pick or two. You think that somehow the whole defense rides on the shoulders of one or two draft picks.

Personally, I am more confident in Melton, Selvie, Crawford, Bass, Mincey, and McClain than I am in any draft pick. Hopefully, these 6 and others can get the job done and the draft pick(s) will be icing on the cake.
    jobberone and morasp like this.
  11. GiveDezdaBall88

337 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Thhats a bad group, only one I trust is Melton but who knows how he will be after his injury.
    locked&loaded likes this.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,270 Messages
    4,814 Likes Received
    Don't let the teacher catch you with you using your phone during class.
    morasp and Iago33 like this.
  13. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

531 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    Like last year's defense?
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,761 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Knock it off.
  15. egn22

egn22 Active Member

836 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    We need SPEED
  16. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,604 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    I think Bass is the mystery guy, he is a passrusher at DT, but can he do anything at DE for us? who knows. I don't think Crawford is a great passrusher as a DE but he is going to be decent.
  17. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,807 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    OP is right.

Melton is our best pass rusher here and he is coming off ACL. Selvie scares no one. Other than that, we've got nothing.

Pass rush is a major, major need on this roster.

I don't expect Mincey and McClain to pick up the slack from our departed pass rushers--a potential HOF player in Ware and a pro-bowl double digit sack DT in Hatcher. It's hard to imagine, but at this moment, our historically bad defense has actually gotten worse on paper.
  18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Just go for it Jerry. Make the trade with the Rams so that Clowney is a Cowboy. That would entertain me. Only Johnny Football would provide more.
  19. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,107 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Selvin was very good for us last year. Acl injuries are not the end of the world and I think Melton is going to play lights out with his contract setup. Crawford and bass will be good rotational guys with a ceiling to start. We do need to draft some dlineman but I like what we have done this year.
    jobberone likes this.
  20. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,712 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Ware was a former shell of himself the past season and a half. It won't be hard replacing Ware's 6 sack production from last year. Key is 'last year.' It will be very hard replacing the Ware of many moons ago. Both Ware and Hatcher are coming off injuries and are no locks to be healthy for the upcoming season. Even if we had Ware and Hatcher this year, we still wouldn't be in an enviable position. Both are old and injury prone these days. Hatcher had one good year, a contract year last year. Could be that last year was a fluke for Hatcher and he will revert back to so-so status. Could be that Ware can't play well in a Marinelli 4-3 at this stage. Ware couldn't even practice much the past two years.

I am more than confident that Melton can replace Hatcher and outperform Hatcher this year. It will be an interesting competition comparing Melton's production as a Cowboy vs. Hatcher's production with Wash. I also think Selvie can cover Ware's 6 sack performance of last year. If Melton and Selvie give me what Ware and Hatcher did LAST year then we might see some improvement from LAST year if Crawford and Bass can step up. Throw in Mincey and McClain and a draft pick or two and we just might be looking OK (and maybe a little better than last year) if we can stay healthy.

Relying on Ware and Hatcher this year with their huge salaries would have been riskier than going with what we have now.
    jobberone likes this.