1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We need to draft a top tier QB... and soon

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by iowast8rs, Sep 10, 2012.

1. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

915 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    This is not another "get rid of Romo" thread. On the contrary, this man is an elite QB and will lead the Cowboys to at least one SB victory.

In order to establish any kind of dominance in the NFCE, we need a franchise QB. We have that already, but for how long? My guess 4 years, baring any injury.

This is right around the time RG3 will be firing on all cylinders while providing 10 years of frustration for the Cowboys. Vick will either be retired, with another team, or in jail. Manning will be retired or a non factor.

We need to draft a top tier QB, which usually means a first round QB and not hope lightning strikes twice with an UDFA, like Romo, or a QB drafted in the later rounds. If we draft him within 2 years, best case scenario, will have Romo mentor him in his final 2 years. Rather than having to replace Romo immediately, or having the Cowboys reach for an unproven QB because of need.

This will assure, a smoother transition between QBs, and provide the Cowboys with greater chances to dominate the NFCE.

IMO, RG3 will provide the Deadskins many years of solid QB performance and we will need to counteract that with our own solid to excellent QB performance.

Hope this makes sense.
  2. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,483 Messages
    1,640 Likes Received
  3. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,282 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I think people are putting too much stock into RGIII's performance yesterday. It's too early to tell.
  4. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    That's what he did in college. He didn't miss a beat.
  5. iowast8rs

915 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    Don't misunderstand my post, this type of planning ahead makes sense, regardless of the performance of the other NFCE QBs. I want to avoid the drought of QBs we had between Aikman and Romo.
  6. SDCowboy85

15,483 Messages
    1,640 Likes Received
    Romo's got another 5-6 years left. Why would we draft someone who won't be starting until he's 30 and half his career is already over? His eventual replacement doesn't even have a driver's license yet.
  7. Cowboy Brian

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I'm with you. Sort of. This year is deep in QB and if someone that looks sweet falls to us in RD2 or 3 I say go for it.
  8. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I guess it would have been more difficult for RGIII had he played against a team that had a coach and didn't have their defense suspended for a year.
  9. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,282 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    That could be said for a lot of players after one game.

The Skins seem to always play the Saints well, especially in recent history, at the Super Dome and at home. It's the first game of the season. We'll see how things play out as teams get more tape on the teams and players.
  10. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    Next year may be the year to draft one to groom. Look at all the rookies or 2nd/3rd year guys that started yesterday. How many teams do you think will be looking to draft a QB in the 1st round next year?

Arizona
    Buffalo

2013 draft will be interesting.
  11. DanTanna

DanTanna Original Zone Member Zone Supporter

2,258 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    :lmao: :lmao2: :laugh2: :bang2:

One game and he's anointed a "franchise saving QB". L...O....L

A franchise QB will rarely wait 4-5 years while Romo is still at the top of his game.
  12. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    If there is a guy who warrants it, I have no problem next year with Tony Romo at age 33, the Cowboys drafting a guy in the 1st or 2nd round if that player is sitting at the top of the draft board.

How old was Favre when the Packers drafted Rodgers? Couldn't have been much older than 33.
  13. SDCowboy85

15,483 Messages
    1,640 Likes Received
    He was quite a bit older and I believe had already retired (or was saying he was going to). The bottom line is, unless the Cowboys aren't planning on giving Romo the new contract everyone thinks they are, they are not wasting a top pick on a QB.
  14. iowast8rs

915 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    Actually, he just got his driver's license last month.
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    I'm down with drafting a top QB at any time.

There is nothing wrong with taking the Aaron Rodgers approach with a young QB.
  16. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ok, hold on. If you think Romo is elite and will start 4 more years then why do we need to draft a QB soon? Why would you waste high first rounder on a player who will ride the pine the entire length of his contract? Makes no sense. I doing get it.
  17. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

2,122 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I agree with this but i think they should do this in about 4 years. Romo still has a good 5 or 6 years in him.
  18. Cowboy Brian

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Miami if they flop, San Diego could blow it all up and deal Rivers, 49ers could improve Smith, Chiefs could improve Cassel, Ditto for Jets and Bills. Cowboys, Patriots, Saints all may be it in the market for a QB of the Future. We'll see in a few weeks.
  19. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    We've had an interest in QBs in the last two drafts.

The two guys whose names we heard most were Dalton and Foales. We didn't get them but it does suggest that we've got a good eye there
  20. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received

Better to do it too early than too late. See the 2000-2005 Cowboys.