1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

We need to keep Victor Butler

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheCount, Feb 21, 2013.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    One thing not a lot of people are talking about is what happens if Ware gets injured this year? The guy is a warrior and doesn't want to come off the field even when he's hurting, but he was largely ineffective down the stretch and he's getting older.

If he has to miss a couple of games, who's taking over as a pass rusher on the weak side if Anthony Spencer isn't here? We currently have NO ONE on the roster I'd be happy with, and a lot of the draft focus has been on a DE to play the strong side.

Butler was just okay as a 3-4 OLB, but don't forget the guy had 22 sacks in his final two years before leaving Oregon State. He has a history as a pass rusher, and a 4-3 may be just what the doctor ordered.

If we end up not keeping Spencer, I'd divert some of those funds to Butler even if he's just a rotational guy and an insurance policy. Ware's neck and shoulder/arm are a bit worrying and we at least have a few years of watching Butler take on NFL talent, which is not the case for these draft guys.
  2. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,174 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    i also agree that butler can still be a good pass rusher and spell ware. butler probaly will not cost to much to keep.
  3. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,527 Messages
    1,067 Likes Received
    I think you might be surprised at what kind of contract Butler may get in free agency.
  4. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,174 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    you might be right about that since butler is only 25 or 26 i think. teams do pay alot for players that play defensive end at that age. some 3-4 teams might think that he can be a good spot starter for them also.
  5. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think the intention may be to put K Wilbur behind Ware. At least that's what I read . . . .
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    Either that or draft a promising pass rush DE in the 3-4 rounds.
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,555 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind bringing him back for a few years at about $1.5M/yr or so.
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,062 Likes Received
    I can't look past the fact that the team preferred to put a very hobbled D-Ware towards the end of the season than a seemingly healthy Victor Butler.

At most, the team should make a 1-yr qualifying offer to see how well he converts in the 4-3. But IMO, he's not worth getting a multiple year contract.
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,437 Messages
    1,034 Likes Received
    I agree with the OP. DE is his natural position IMO. He could never pick up OLB for some reason. I think he might thrive finally.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I think Butler will test the FA market. I think Dallas intent is to get Romo resigned and free up cash and get Spencer signed in the process.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,754 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I don't agree. I'm not giving a 2nd contract to a spot, inconsistent player like Butler. I don't think he'll be any better at DE in a 4-3. We need to fill that position with a draft pick.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,009 Messages
    7,757 Likes Received
    If he'd take a value contract, it'd be fine with me, but he's unlikely to not have options.

He's supposed to be Anthony Spencer's best friend on the team. I suppose it's possible that the two want to stay put, but I'm not counting on it. Not sure I like the idea of rolling with Butler any better than I like the idea of rolling with a street free agent veteran if we're in the unfortunate situation of Ware going down for an extended period of time.
  13. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,690 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    A voice of reason in the wilderness. He hasn't done much of anything yet.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,770 Messages
    5,932 Likes Received
    It depends on what other mid-level guys they might be able to get in Free Agency.

Butler could be the Nickel pass-rusher combined with Crawford in the base on the side opposite of Ware. This would keep him out of run defense situations. If Ware was injured, I don't know if you would want Butler to be his backup in the base defense. Butler is just not good against the run.

The under-contract options to backup Ware at Weak-Side DE are:

Albright
    Wilbur
    Cameron Sheffield (6-2 257)

Albright might be a good option to backup Ware in the base defense if he is not the SLB. He seems to be strong at the point of attack.
  15. xwalker

13,770 Messages
    5,932 Likes Received
    At the time that was my thought also; however, it turns out that Butler had minimal or zero playing time in the last game or 2 due to an injury.

I knew something was up when Brady Poppinga was playing DE and Butler was nowhere in sight.
  16. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,978 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    he is way too undersized to play DE in a 4-3, which is hte position ware plays. he would be engulfed in the running game and wouldn't be a good match up against LTs as a DE. what he did in college hasn't been replicated in the pros and that's the proof we need. not what he did 3 years ago against inferior competition, but what he has done in the NFL.

he is a liability in coverage. has missed assignments. is a liability against the run. moving to a 4-3 DE ain't going to make any of those better. he just doesn't fit
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,062 Likes Received
    Yeah, but if I go by reports, then Ware was playing one-armed for the last six games, so my reasoning still applies.

I think a 1-yr deal for depth is much more reasonable than a multi-year deal.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,141 Messages
    4,600 Likes Received
    Whether or not anyone agrees, this is the question with him unless you plan to play him as a LB.

I just don't have a good feel for him as a run stopper. My impression is like yours and he can't stand up to the run well enough. I've wondered if he wouldn't make a good Will. I've penciled in Carter as the Will but Carter could play the Sam. There's a lot of options at LB. I'm just not certain he can play the run well enough to trust. I have no doubts about his ability to pressure the QB and for those that want Freeney here this guy could be another solution to a spot rusher on passing downs as well.
  19. xwalker

13,770 Messages
    5,932 Likes Received
    I agree that he is not good against the run, but his size is not out of range for a WDE in a Kiffin defense.

For reference, Seattle has Bruce Irvin (6'3 248) playing WDE.

Victor Butler 6'2 245
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    This team needs new blood. He's been around too long and done nothing to warrant a new contract, IMO.