1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

weird feeling - surprise pick in store?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Apr 2, 2012.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,348 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    I have this weird feeling that our pick at 14 is going to be somebody we aren't expecting..all of the beat writers seem to have different opinions, nobody seems to have a clue..I guess it's a good thing..just something that I'm not accustomed to.
  2. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Noone trusts Jerry to make the logical pick ... thats why its up in the air. Logic dictates Decastro, DE, or CB ... but you never really know with Jerry "Tradedown" Jones and his sidekick Stephen "Im smarter than everyone" Jones.
  3. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,474 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    It could be Cordy Glenn at 14 if Decastro is gone. He a freak of nature at 6'5 350, 85'' Wingspan, has great speed (for a lineman) and has the versatility to play both G/RT. He is absolutely dominating on the inside and stronger then Decastro. I think both of these guys will be pro-bowlers.

He shut down Upshaw and Ingram in workouts, had some issues with Coples on the outside playing LT but that is not his position. Buffalo is looking at him at 10. Tyron Smith/Cordy Glenn? I wouldn't mind showing up to a football game against the Giants with those two guys.
  4. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    With it as fluid as it is right now, it's very much different then we are used to and you may be right.
  5. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I suspect the Cowboys will draft a defensive player in the first round depending on whose available. If 1 of the better CBs slips because of other teams focusing on QBs/offensive players, we probably go CB but might easily go with a DL player.

In the 2nd round see us looking on OG (including moving up if good one available) ora S.

3rd round probably looking at a TE or another defensive player.

With 2 4th round picks, we could combine them to move into late 3rd round if there somebody available we definitely want. If not, we stay put & grab BPA.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I would say the one guy who would be the biggest surprise would be Trent Richardson

The biggest disappointing pick in my view would be Ryan Tannehill
  7. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,418 Messages
    172 Likes Received

I have a feeling, JG has a little more control over the draft than people think. And by little I mean, A LOT!
  8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But I read we weren't going to take a passrusher? Surely they have a clue! :confused:
  9. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I'm sure they have a clue but this year crop of so called pass rushers is not viewed as elite. I have yet to see anyone come up with any consensus of who those elite pass rusher are this year.
  10. Jaxonsdaddd

Jaxonsdaddd Member

327 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The only position where I would be surprised in the first would be Tackle, QB, WR, TE. RB

Any other positions and I really would'nt be surprised at all
  11. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    This reminds me of the year we took Bobby Carpenter. I couldnt really lock onto anyone that year either. I finally decided I liked Manny Lawson but he didnt turn into much either.
  12. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    Same here but my guy was Chad Greenway. Greenway has had a pretty good career thus far but not dominate
  13. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,550 Messages
    1,415 Likes Received
    Tannehill is the only guy that would suprise me.
  14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,500 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Greenway was my favorite that year, too, but the knock on him was that he was ill-suited for a 3-4 defense.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Same here, and I don't see why he wouldn't fit a 34... He was definitely big enough.

But mainly, how can you not love a former pig farmer?

But I was fine with Carpenter. He did look good in college, and I think everyone was surprised he turned out to be such a wuss.
  16. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,905 Messages
    1,010 Likes Received
    Kuechly. He'd be a real surprise for me.
  17. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Can't trade compensatory picks.

But I do think we will go defense in the first. With all the moves it just seems to likely that we end up with Ingram. I don't hate that pick but i'm not really in love with it either. Means my boy Bequette will settle somewhere else.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,154 Messages
    2,230 Likes Received
    Hey Glory
    If they already have a dozen different players going to us, how would it be a surprise if anyone landed here?
    Do you think it may be even someone that hasn't been mentioned few times yet?
    If it was a LT or a QB, I'd be surprised. Even a WR would suprise me, unless we made a trade.
    Otherwise, not much would surprise me at this point.
    Thoughts?
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    There haven't been any "surprise picks" in Dallas in quite a while, especially since Parcells left and took the gag order with him. I don't see any this year either. Either Broaddus, Mosely, Norm or whomever else .. .someone's little birdie will start squawking as we get closer to the draft. It's still almost a month away, pro days are just coming to a close, private workouts are just starting up and teams have still haven't started their official meetings where they start formulating their official boards.
  20. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Imagine if we drafted Floyd lol. I'm not sure if the board would come apart or not....