1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Well the good thing is we have no where else to go

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by rkell87, Nov 1, 2012.

1. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Pretty much don't have anywhere to logically spend our top draft picks this year but the trenches

QB- we have our starter, we have a more than capable back up who is locked up for a few years.

RB- we have a clear number 1, no need to spend anything sooner than a 4th here, maybe even let tanner and dunbar fight it out for the #2 in training camp and bring in a vet, I don't think felix stays.

TE- we have a very balanced trio and witten struggled early but showed that was a fluke and should be around for the foreseeable future.

WR- Love them or hate them we have wrs that are good enough to win with, the #3 spot will always be a camp battle but our #1 and 2 are locked and we just spent a pick on one this year so we are good.

ILB- lee and carter should be a force by next season, connor is a capable back up and sims looked pretty good in the role he played last game so he may stick around, IDK but the core is set, no need for an early pick here.

OLB- here is the most likely spot to use a top pick outside of the trenches imo, it depends on what we do with spencer but even so there is no need to spend a first for a ROLB, guys that can produce similar to spencer can be had in the second in most drafts.

Corners- obviously we are set here, clai on his rookie contract, carr with a new contract and scandrick locked up, our two outside and our slot corners are set for a few years regardless of what we do with jenk. No need for a top pick here.

Safety- sensy is under contract for a while and church just got one so it is obvious that they are our future so get used to them. Unless a real talent drops in our laps in the first two rounds I just don't see this position being addressed in the draft early on.

that just leaves the O and D lines.

Smith is set, I see them rolling with free because of the contract. Depending on how much they believe in costa center could be targeted in round 2 or 3 and guard could be an option in round 1.

personally I think there is usually a bigger drop in talent in 3-4 DE and NTs from round 1 to 2 than guards and centers so I hope we focus on the D line in round 1 and grab a guard in round 2 or 3
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,313 Messages
    4,847 Likes Received
    QB- we have our starter, we have a more than capable back up who is locked up for a few years.
    On one hand, it seems like it would be a good idea to get a developmental guy at some point, but on the other hand, I hate using an extra roster spot to keep a guy just because he was a 4th round draft pick.

RB- we have a clear number 1, no need to spend anything sooner than a 4th here, maybe even let tanner and dunbar fight it out for the #2 in training camp and bring in a vet, I don't think felix stays.
    I'm beginning to have some doubts about Tanner becoming a #2. He has good size, good burst and he is decent in pass protection; however, I'm beginning to wonder about his vision. He seems to run straight into the back of the OLineman on occasion.

I would like to see some more of Dunbar. I'm guessing Garrett's issue with him is pass protection.

If Felix stays, I might go-postal. He irritates me more than any other player this year.

TE- we have a very balanced trio and witten struggled early but showed that was a fluke and should be around for the foreseeable future.
    Agree, no need for an early pick here; however, I do think Garrett would like to have a 2nd or 3rd TE that is a more dominant blocker than John Phillips.

WR- Love them or hate them we have wrs that are good enough to win with, the #3 spot will always be a camp battle but our #1 and 2 are locked and we just spent a pick on one this year so we are good.
    They need to come up with a legit #3. I'm not sure he's on the roster. They could go Free Agent here (Wes Welker anybody?).

ILB- lee and carter should be a force by next season, connor is a capable back up and sims looked pretty good in the role he played last game so he may stick around, IDK but the core is set, no need for an early pick here.
    Agree, I don't see a pick here, although I could see Connor being cut if they keep Sims.

OLB- here is the most likely spot to use a top pick outside of the trenches imo, it depends on what we do with spencer but even so there is no need to spend a first for a ROLB, guys that can produce similar to spencer can be had in the second in most drafts.
    Agree that OLB is a high probability. If possible, I think they should just Franchise Spencer again. They don't have a replacement ready, but I don't really like the idea of giving a big contract to a 29 year old player unless he's a QB or maybe an OL.

Corners- obviously we are set here, clai on his rookie contract, carr with a new contract and scandrick locked up, our two outside and our slot corners are set for a few years regardless of what we do with jenk. No need for a top pick here.
    They need some developmental guys with high upside. The 4th-6th is a good place to look for them.

Safety- sensy is under contract for a while and church just got one so it is obvious that they are our future so get used to them. Unless a real talent drops in our laps in the first two rounds I just don't see this position being addressed in the draft early on.
    Agree. No need to take a Safety just to take one, but it appears that 2013 is a good year for Safeties in the 2nd round. Quality or quantity this position.

that just leaves the O and D lines.

Smith is set, I see them rolling with free because of the contract. Depending on how much they believe in costa center could be targeted in round 2 or 3 and guard could be an option in round 1.
    Unfortunately, I think they plan to stay with Free. He is the most confusing player on the team for me. He has the quickness, size and long arms which are the top 3 requirements of an OT, but he's just not consistent.

I was surprised when Broaddus said that Free had a good game against the Giants. I went back and reviewed Free on all offensive plays. He was decent. He missed maybe 1 block on a run play and gave up about 2 pressures. He's not pretty to watch. He flails around a lot in the process.

I wouldn't mind getting a player like Dallas Thomas that can play OG or OT.

Brennan Williams might be a good value in the mid to later rounds. He was projected as a 2nd rounder but just got injured and is out for the season.

personally I think there is usually a bigger drop in talent in 3-4 DE and NTs from round 1 to 2 than guards and centers so I hope we focus on the D line in round 1 and grab a guard in round 2 or 3

The Cowboys DLine is solid, but they need a disruptive force at 3-4 DE. No need to get a DE just for the heck of it, but if possible try to get a JJ Watt starter kit.

I don't see a need at NT. Brent has played really well and Rat will never move to DE.

I agree that there are going to be some good OG/OCs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

1st/2nd Jonathan Cooper OG/OC
    2nd Dallas Thomas OG/OT
    2nd/3rd Khaled Holmes OC/OG
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,396 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    Good summary and I agree with most of it. The way they have been sticking to their board the last few years I could easily see a skill guy (QB RB WR TE) drafted as early as round 2 if he has a high enough grade (Andy Dalton). I still see pass rush as 1st rounder no matter what.