1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Wes Bunting Mock Draft 3.0

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by garyv, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just don't see how we could pass on kirkpatrick with our secondary being SO attrocious, as well as Newman's impending release.

Decastro's making the pro-bowl but it's a deep draft for O-linemen. Not so much for CB's
  2. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    This is true. Yet taking the best of a bad bunch isn't necessarily a smart move. This team does not need another guy that puts himself above the team. Kirkpatrick concerns me. Decastro doesn't.

We can't afford to miss in the first this year. So I am more confortable with the sure thing, even though he may not be the biggest need.

I could live with this easily.
  3. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I like Jenkins over this kid as well. Still would want Decastro over both if this is how it falls.

Something Mayock said about this kid the other day is also sticking with me.

Dre Kirkpatrick: Mayock: Kirkpatrick may move to safety

According to NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock, some people in the league believe Alabama CB Dre Kirkpatrick may have to convert to safety "down the road."
    Kirkpatrick was listed at 6-foot-3, 192 by Alabama. The corner-to-safety transition is often dictated or at least heavily influenced by forty times. "He's big and he's long. I'm not sure what he's going to run," Mayock said. "Some people might even think he could convert to safety down the road." Kirkpatrick is better known for his run-support talents than cover skills

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/02/16/3016599/analyst-panthers-might-take-brockers.html
  4. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,674 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    The draft is pretty deep for corner, too. You got Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, Jenkins, Boykin, Minnefield, Gilmore, Hosley, Johnson, Hayward, Dennard, Norman, and Judie all ranked in the top 100 on most boards.

Safety, on the other hand, is a different story.
  5. Crad|e

Crad|e Member

242 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    i know our secondary sucks but DeCastro is a talent that you simply can't pass on. spend the rest of the draft taking the BPA on the secondary but dont let DeCastro go. Him and Smith will have our oline set for years and years to come.
  6. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    absolutley agree. sign a vet Center and let the Nagy,Arkin,Killer etc fight it out at LG thunderdome style.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Not with Konz's medical background
  8. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I am not aware of any problems since 2009. Is there something since then that I am not aware of?

Unless we get a vet to take over, we need to fill the spot with someone and there isn't anyone else in the draft rated close.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,954 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    Take out Claiborne because theres 0 % chance of us picking him. Now take out Gilmore, Dennard, and Hayward because they dont really fit our man coverage scheme. They will most likely have to go to zone teams in order to succeed. And I wouldn't take the gamble that any other of the other guys will last to the 3rd round where we sit at 82. Its possible 1 or 2 will, but it will be slim pickings for sure. If we dont sign a big FA CB I think we will handcuffed into taking a CB in either the 1st or 2nd round no matter what.
  10. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I keep hearing you alluding to the fact Kirkpatrick isn't a team guy. Where are you getting this?
  11. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,674 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    You keep making this point, and it's valid. But any team interested in this guy is going to fully examine this, and develop their own opinions. The thing is, we as fans never know the full story, only what we read and hear. We don't really know how "risky" his condition really is.

I don't know your medical background or knowledge. You might be a vascular surgeon for all I know, but that doesn't mean you know every detail about Konz's history. So with all due respect, my point is that it might be a bit premature writing someone off without having all the information.
  12. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,954 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    Any college kid who smokes weed is a terrible person who makes your football team automatically worse. Don't you know these things?
  13. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Probably since it's most certainly true. How many guards get drafted in the first round a year compared to CBs?
  14. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I heard Bunting on a podcast state that he would indeed draft DeCastro over Upshaw, Ingram, and Kirkpatrick. Bunting stated that DeCastro was a solid "double", and he talked about how high he graded him. Bunting mentioned his grade on Pouncy (Steelers).
  15. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    K.C. Joyner analyzed Kirkpatrick's cover skills by looking at film (from 2 different years), including 7 key games in 2011. I think this Cowboys Nation link is worth a look. Vela spoke to Joyner and documented his chat in this post. Joyner's analysis should raise some caution about drafting Kirkpatrick at 14, imo.

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2012/01/joyner-part-five-more-pro-and-college.html
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Kirkpatrick is kind of like Mallet from last year . There has been rumors of him liking the " thug life" long before his recent bust . I still think Dallas blew it with a chance to get Mallet in the third . No way would I have took the risk on Mallet in the first , and he never actually got busted . Kirkpatrick has been busted for dope , and has just as many rumors as Mallet had . I just can't see the risk being worth it in the first .
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know he (or a friend) got busted (charges later dropped) for possession of marijuana a few weeks ago. As far as the other issues you're alluding to regarding Kirkpatrick, this is the first time I've heard anything raised on the subject.

Mallett had long lingering drug use rumors at Arkansas. His character/leadership was also questioned.
  18. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I disagree.. if DeCastro is there, i think we almost have to take him.

Another reason, besides being a very very good OG prospect and a potential long term pro bowler and all pro at a position (interior OL) that we desperately need to upgrade, is that i really feel like there are a number of CB's that we could get in the second round that could start for us from day 1 and play well.

Leonard Johnson, Janoris Jenkins if he drops because of the off the field stuff, Brandon Boykin, Jayron Hosley, etc..

Alfonzo Dennard is also a guy that could slide into the second round.

I'd also look into trading down if possible to pick up an extra second or late first. If we could get three picks in the first two rounds we could come out of it with a very good OG, CB, and rush LB. This draft to me is deep at all three positions.
  19. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DeCastro is my #1 guy on my board too. I was responding to Doomsday saying he wouldn't be mad if we ended up with Kirkpatrick, which I wouldn't either if DeCastro wasn't available to us.

Of the other CBs avialable, I only view Janoris Jenkins as a potential starter. I really like Brandon Boykin. In fact, I'd take Boykin over Dennard.
  20. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Yea, i guess i'd be ok with Dre too if DeCastro was gone and we couldn't find a team to trade back. If we could though, i think Jenkins, Dennard, Leonard Johnson, and Brandon Boykin could all be starters for us from day 1 next year. My preference would be Johnson, Jenkins, or Boykin. If we could get any of those guys in the second round and pick up and extra first or second and get a pass rushing OLB and an OG it'd be an A plus draft already for me.

Brandon Washington, Kevin Zeitler, Osemele, Cordy Glenn, any of those guys would be a good OG pick in the late first/early second.

Whitey Mercilus, Vinny Curry, Nick Perry, Andre Branch, any of those would be great late first/early second round pass rushers to take.