1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

WF: Cowboys Targeting Multiple Linebackers (Tip Sheet)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 16, 2012.

1. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.................NO more drafting gimps that can't produce right away. This team is in desperate need of help NOW...not in 2013. Really GOOD teams like the Giants, Pack,Saints and Niners can afford to do that: we simply can't.
  2. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Vinny actually reminds me of Osi Umenyiora.

While Vinny is not suited for Spencer's SOLB, I would love to have him as situational pass rusher when we go with a 4 front opposite Ware.

And yes, I think you can justify spending a premium pick on a situational player.
  3. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

7,001 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    We are really in a pickle on defense. Lack of depth everywhere.
  4. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,899 Messages
    5 Likes Received

That's actually a very good comparison
  5. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree. I think we have good depth. The problem is we need improved starters to push people back into depth roles. Coleman, Hatcher, Lissmore, and Brent should be considered great depth players--they shouldn't be considered starters. Butler, Lemon, and Carter (for maybe 1 more year) are depth players, but we might need 2 starters (if we let Spencer walk). At safety, we could use an improvement at starter, but Elam, Sensabaugh, Church and McCray are quality players that would be good depth. And at CB, we need at least 2 quality CBs, but we have some guys who can fill your 4-6th CB spots.

In my opinion, we need the following:
    1 Starting DE or NT (with Rat bumping to DE)
    1 Starting ILB (to not put it all on Carter)
    1 Starting CB
    1 Quality CB for slot/dime packages
    1 Starting Safety

That's hard to find 5 starting quality players in one off-season. (Which is another reason I don't like having Spencer walk and then need 6)

If we get those starting 5 guys, bumping people down the charts will mean we have good depth.
  6. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,590 Messages
    462 Likes Received
    So, if given the choice between Lee and Carpenter, you would choose . . . ?
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not knocking anyone elses opinion, but I guess I'm seeing a different Vin Curry than others are seeing. I see a guy who is no less athletic than Anthony Spencer and is not any more stiffer/tight in the hips than say, Aldon Smith.

For me, what seperates Curry apart in my mind is his pure tenacity and motor. I know those words sound a bit cliche' but it's a very visible trait in my eyes.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

8,593 Messages
    3,134 Likes Received
    The traits that list are the reasons thaI like Curry . There should always be a place on the team for this type of player .
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Especially considering a guy like Anthony Spencer admitted to his own inconsistent motor before.

One more thing on Curry I'm sure you've noticed, but he plays with some nastiness to his game which I think this defense needs.
  10. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

6,481 Messages
    730 Likes Received
    So, Kuechley could be a possibility?
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

10,520 Messages
    2,381 Likes Received
    Most 6th or 7th round picks don't perform right away. And that's where Paige-Moss is projected.

And Sean Lee was worth the wait. Here's hoping Carter is as well.