1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What Are The Chances DeCastro Falls To Us?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cowboys&LakersFan, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Put a percentage on it what is the chances DeCastro falls to #14?
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    ...45%
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,339 Messages
    4,665 Likes Received
    75% I pick that number as a guess of something between 50 and a 100.

The reason being is it is pretty rare for OGs to go at higher picks so I am just going by history.

I would say it would be higher if we had RGIII, Landry Jones, Matt Barkley (sp?) and Andrew luck all coming out as it would push good players further down.

But I still think there is a pretty good chance we could get him.

I have not really looked at the teams above us and their needs other than hearing that Arizona needs interior Oline but they also have many other needs.
  4. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,150 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Have seen that KC also may have an interest in him at 12.
  5. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Guards generally don't go very early, and there is another blue chip guard in this class (Cordy Glenn from Georgia, who's just huge)...

I'm completely confident that one if not both of them will still be on the board at pick 14...
  6. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    yeah me too I see 90% + chance they are both there at 14 and it wouldn't surprise me if one is there at the top of the 2nd rnd.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    combine will tell the tale on DeCastro. If he measures as good as his game film he will be a mid first rd at least
  8. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Pretty much this - if he has a really strong combine he could go right outside of the Top 10, between 11-13.
  9. This is Our Year

This is Our Year Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike

1,396 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    VERY VERY likely IMO he makes it to 14. Guards don't get drafted in the first half of the 1st round. Or very rarely at least. Heck, not often many guards go in the the 1st at all. Def more towards the back end of the round they start to come off the board.
  10. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,304 Messages
    1,253 Likes Received
    I don't think the combine has much to do with linemen rising or falling. The bowls games, especially the Senior Bowl, affect linemen way more than the combine does.

The combine is for skill position guys, unless a lineman shows up with a terrible bench or really short arms (or completely flunks the interviews/medicals), their stock doesn't tend to rise or drop much on those tests alone.
  11. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,520 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Im gonna tell a great tale about a puppy with a tail......sorry but you gotta love the english language.

Any way yes he's there at #14........but if he's not then trade back and get Ingram
  12. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Are you asking what are the chances a Guard is available at 14?

Uh.... 98%.

Has there ever been a top 10 draft pick of an interior offensive lineman? I can't remember one.

I think DeCastro is worth taking and will be a ten year pro bowler. But the NFL draft just doesn't work that way.

It is reasonable to conclude that Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Richardson, Claiborne, Blackmon, and Kirkpatrick are going before Castro. I'm sure Reiff will go before him, too because teams value tackle so much more. So that's 8 people before we even talk about any defensive front 7 players which always get pushed up as we approached the draft. I think you'll see Coples go early, and some interior D-lineman may jump up the board like Poe or something at the combine.

In short, DeCastro may be the safest pick in the draft, but I cannot see him cracking the Top 10. And I think something like 14 is the highest he can reasonably expect to go. But 14 is great for an interior o-lineman (the highest I can remember... I think the good Pouncey went 18).
  13. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,621 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    Historically 14 would be pretty high for a G. if you see a team go that high for a guy, it is often b/c they see him as filling a huge need. It is sort of a luxury pick. The last interior lineman (and by interior I mean someone who was listed as a C or G coming out of college, not a T who later switched like Leonard Davis) picked higher than 14 was Chris Naole in 1997. Mike Pouncey went 15 last year but I believe he's really a center and his brother's dominant play certainly help his evaluation (although he looks really good too). The best guards really seem to start going 15 and later.

One issue here is that a stud G is a real good fit for a team with a bunch of talent that had a down year. What a G isn't a great fit for is a team that needs to show something exciting to put butts in the seats. All that plays in our favor.
  14. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,621 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    Ingram may be a guy who gets up into the top half of the draft.
  15. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,954 Messages
    1,395 Likes Received
    I think it's about a 80% chance that he's there at 14.
  16. DFWJC

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    My probability was this low only because I can see about a 50-50 shot that AZ takes him.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,304 Messages
    1,253 Likes Received
    Bored.

Highest Non-Tackle taken in the last 10 years:

2011 - 15th Selection - Mike Pouncey, C

2010 - 17th Selection - Mike Iupati, G

2009 - 21st Selection - Alex Mack, C

2008 - 39th Selection - Chilo Rachal, G

2007 - 29th Selection - Ben Grubbs, G

2006 - 23rd Selection - Davin Joseph, G

2005 - 26th Selection - Chris Spencer, C

2004 - 34th Selection - Chris Snee, G

2003 - 21st Selection - Jeff Faine, C

2002 - 30th Selection - Kendall Simmons, G

2001 - 2nd Selection - Leonard Davis

Average: 25.7th Selection, let's round up and say 28th.

* Keep in mind this does not include players who were drafted at tackle and ended up changing positions (ie: Robert Gallery) or players who were drafted at Guard/Center but ended up playing tackle (ie: Leonard Davis) I wasn't THAT bored.

Also worth noting is that the majority of these guys end up being pretty darn good. Several of them have gone to probowls, and many of them have long, productive careers as opposed to tackles, who regularly fail to live up to their billing.

That being said, Pouncey is the closest non-tackle to be taken at 14ish overall (We all know Leonard Davis' story). Is DeCastro as good a prospect? I'd say so, but he probably isn't going to have the same responsibilities a center has that gives them that extra little bit of value.

Regardless, I have absolutely zero qualms with taking DeCastro at 14th overall and I think there's a very good chance he'll be there.
  18. DFWJC

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    If you think Pouncey and Iupati at 15th and 17th are right there with this guy, then 14th is clearly not a stretch at all.

But if he is there at 14, some would argue he could be there 4-5 slots lower, so we could have the dreaded trade down. Of course, if you still get him and pick up another 3rd rounder, that would be sweet. But I don't like when we get too cute.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Leonard Davis was a Tackle coming out. He was moved to Guard later so technically, he is not included in the discussion IMO.

The highest Guard taken in the last 20 years was Chris Naeole with the 10th pick overall out of Colorado, taken by New Orleans in 1997. I'd have to say that he was a bust. No Pro-Bowls or All Pro Selections. After 5 years, he was not even with the team. Finished out his career in Jacksonville.

Next Highest would be Ruben Brown at 14 overall in the 95 draft out of Pittsburgh, taken by the Bills. Brown was pretty good. He played 13 seasons and made 9 Pro-Bowls. Between 96 and 03 he made 8 straight.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    This is a strong draft for Guards.