1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What Bad Contracts Do the Cowboys Have?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by FuzzyLumpkins, Feb 12, 2014.

1. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,413 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    Lee is making as much per game as any Cowboy based upon his 9-10 game schedule.
  2. XDez88BeastX

XDez88BeastX Active Member

249 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Romo, Ware, Austin & Carr. Witten contract is average for an elite TE & i don't consider it "bad".
  3. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

659 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Church is solid...we need a rangy saftey to complement him.
  4. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

659 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Nope but a better front 7 can increase that number for him.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,010 Messages
    3,717 Likes Received
    That was his tender amount; however, after training camp they gave him the choice of taking the veteran minimum or be cut. His actual salary ended up as about 700k.
    dogberry likes this.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,010 Messages
    3,717 Likes Received
    Ware's salary next year is 13.75M, not 18M.
  7. mitchell2254

mitchell2254 Active Member

728 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    Do we have any good non-rookie contracts? Seriously.
  8. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,506 Messages
    282 Likes Received

I think the better question would be "What good contracts excluding rookie deals do the Cowboys have?" There may be a good argument that the answer is none.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,790 Messages
    1,416 Likes Received
    Witten's deal was excellent. The Church deal is excellent. Bernadeau will start and make under $2m. Doug Free's contract is good at $3m this season. They did get him to take a pay cut which says something. Ware's contract has been good value for the course of it.

The point to take away from this is that the Ratliff and Austin contracts are about to be jettisoned off the cap and because the Ware deal is at the end it is what it is when cutting him and not some giant acceleration.
    casmith07 likes this.
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,961 Messages
    2,357 Likes Received
    Too much logic and rational thought for this place, man. But I agree. The Ratliff money coming off will be good.

In the future, we should ideally only hand out extensions to players who display absolute game-breaking ability, or game-changing ability. QB, Left Tackle, WR, edge rusher. And I think we should only extend guys until about age 32 dependent upon position.

Unless Murray becomes Adrian Peterson next year, too, I would absolutely not extend him and that's just business. That money absolutely would be better spent divided among other positions that are key cogs, or re-invested in fresh legs at the RB position.
  11. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,297 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    The Lee deal is still under market, as is the Romo deal. Scandrick was a great sign and most of the rest of the team is still on their rookie deals. They have a fairly young team.
  12. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,998 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Dallas is in cap DISASTER
  13. cowboyvic

cowboyvic It's Stuck

1,089 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    Romo makes them competitive for what? missed the playoffs in 5 out of the last 6 years. made the playoffs only 3 times in 8 years as a starter. if that's making a team competitive. i feel sorry for the team. Romo's contract is a bad contract.
  14. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

648 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    Just be ready for the inevitable 6 year, $65 Million contract that Terrance Williams will get after he gets his first 1000+ yard season...

:(
  15. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,535 Messages
    797 Likes Received
    Using your reasoning, they might as well cut Romo and get a trained chimp from the zoo and pay him peanuts.

With Romo, this team has a fighting chance to compete each week. They may not win but there is a chance to be competitive. Without Romo, this team would be drafting in the top 3.
  16. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,409 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Actually the question should've been: What good contracts do we have ?

The list would be a lot shorter.
  17. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,790 Messages
    1,416 Likes Received
    The Ratliff contract was awful in retrospect but also in retrospect I count 4 deals for veteran starters that are excellent value.
  18. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,466 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    Yeah, but we have to look at the fact that we have to restructure Romo, Lee, Carr, and countless others, which means guaranteeing them more money in the future. I hate being in a position where you have an aging, declining player and can't get rid of them.
  19. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,297 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    You don't guarantee anymore money in the future by restructuring. And you don't make it harder for you to cut them. You are merely paying for it in the future when the cap will go up and the hit will be smaller. It's a no-interest loan.
  20. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,466 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    Aren't you converting non guaranteed base salary to guaranteed bonus in these restructures? Otherwise, why would a player agree?