1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: What Did Jimmy Say At Halftime Regarding Our Pass D Scheme?...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CaptainAmerica, Sep 26, 2005.

1. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    ...I caught the tail end of his comments but it sounded as if he was questioning the scheme or possibly the techniques that our LBers and DBs are using in our coverages. He mentioned we gave up 31 passing TDs last year and have already given up 6 (or maybe it was 7 at halftime) already this season. He said we are making it easy for the offense.

Anyone hear the whole segment?

If there is one thing Jimmy knows it's defense. I remember Bobby Bowden said when Jimmy was at Miami that Jimmy was the best defensive coach he ever went against.
  2. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, he mentioned what MOST of us here already know, our nickle zimmy D is VERY passive & predictable...
  3. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    and that teams will continue to exploit our pass defense.
  4. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Zimmer would of been just what Campo was to Jimmy.....a whipping boy who only coached DB's......
  5. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,970 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    well..

I think some of the responsibility has to be placed at the feet of the DB coach..

Todd Bowles.

I don't think he's really gotten the DB's together yet at all.

We've had good to great singular performances from individuals, like Henry and Newman and Roy..

..but we've had disasterous results on combination coverages with Davis and Roy Williams deep downfield for crucial, game changing plays by the offense.

Same with Henry yesterday and whatever help he was getting from the safeties and LBers.

I read with interest Todd Bowles' comments in the Spring and Summer when he came here and he was asked how much the 3-4 was going to affect the secondary play..

..and he said in a nutshell..it wouldn't.The responsibilities were the same, schemes the same.

I questioned that heavily at the time, but many here told me I didn't understand the 3-4 and to let 'er go.

Me thinks I'm hearing alot more about what's not right with the LBers and pass coverages and the problems of getting it to work with the DB's than some here believed initially.

We got a hemmorage going right now and I don't see a torniquet(sp.) in sight to stop the bleeding.

Mr. Bowles is a very good coach and, was instrumental in bringing Henry here, who is a very good player, and I'm sure he and Zimmer and BP are going to be looking at what's wrong. But if I'm not mistaken, Bowles would be calling the coverages during a game and Zimmer would be calling the base defense.

Certainly, some questioning has to be directed at what Bowles is calling and when. And with how he's got the various players in the secondary deployed in passing situations.

With the looks of things, something we are doing is easily being read by the QB and that's not good.

Somebodies being schooled here and it ain't us doing the schooling.

:spanking:

parcellswaterboy
  6. CaptainAmerica

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Good thoughts. Also, I was never comfortable with the idea of telling our DC (who had never coached the 3-4) to go learn all about it in the off-season.
    Sort of like telling him to go check out a book at the library and learn how to coach the 3-4. :D

That never sounded real comforting to me!
  7. phdefense

phdefense New Member

315 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My new nickel: 52

Ellis,Spears,Ferguson,Glover,Ware

Roy,Dat

Newman,Henry

Pile,Glenn

Just brain storming
    I am thinking this would collaspe the pocket quicker and really the secondary wouldn't hurt any worse for it and we have our 2 best instinct run stoppers/sure tacklers/blitzers in the middle & case of the draw.
  8. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,796 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    Replace Ferguson with another DB.
  9. phdefense

phdefense New Member

315 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    then it would a dime not nickle
  10. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He said the corners were not redirecting the receivers and just letting them get off the line easily, and said the safeties weren't getting back fast enough and deep enough. He said Dallas was making it way too easy on their opponents.
  11. CaptainAmerica

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Thanks Chief, I appreciate the input.
  12. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,683 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    Yep, that sums it up well. Also,the last TD we gave up where henry got beat was because he missed his jam and let the WR off the line pretty clean. I admit that I wasn't thrilled with Zim's gameplan yesterday, but the players still have to execute and at times they are failing miserably. Same thing with Davis on that 89 yard pass. I noticed that Pile finished the game at safety on the 49'ers last drive, not Davis. Interesting to see who starts next week.
  13. fairviewfarmer

fairviewfarmer Member

335 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Will Randy Moss get his customary 3 td's against this D? I would bet so if I was a Betting Man.
  14. Asklesko

Asklesko Active Member

1,064 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I give Randy Moss 4 tds next week. Our D is swiss cheese.
  15. dougonthebench

dougonthebench Cowboys Forever

2,403 Messages
    0 Likes Received

How bout a bounty on Moss?take him out!!!
  16. odog422

odog422 Well-Known Member

1,512 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Chief, in that same vein, did you notice on the play where dat intercepted the ball to seal the game, the throw was to the slot receiver, covered by newman who....you guessed it, jammed him at the line, not allowing a clean release and disrupting the timing on the slant.

methinks jimmy may be right....

the flip side to that, of course, is if you miss the jam, youre toast. :(
  17. jp1manarmy

jp1manarmy New Member

3 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Moss is that deep threat that deffense's like ours last year suffered humiliation to not to mention the raiders also have Jerry Porter, and Doug Gabriel. I cant call this game it will either be a blowout are down to the wire. I forgot to mention that raiders have been great at stoping the run.