1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What do you guys make of Church?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TTexasTT, Nov 18, 2013.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    We started with that intent and I believe we quickly realized that we did not have the personnel. I mean, it doesn't really matter if we run it 50/50 or even 40/60. Any time we are in that coverage, we are at a disadvantage in our Safety play IMO.
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,142 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I think he's playing good football... You don't get the pressure up front any secondary would average.
    KDM256 likes this.
  3. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

750 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    Great tackler, great in run support.. Would be great if we had a rangy playmaking type safety to compliment him but we don't.
  4. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

807 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    He's the lowest level acceptable for a starting safety (you don't desperately need to upgrade, and you can live with it if the rest of the secondary is good). People throw out the word "average" too often. An average starter in this league is very good.
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,595 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    I think Church is a SS playing out of position at FS. I think in this tampa 2 defense Church could play WOLB and Carter would be better on the strong side. But that just IMO. This defense needs a roaming fast great cover FS like a Eric Berry, Jarius Byrd, Earl Thomas type.
  6. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I laugh at the church haters. ESP ones saying his type becoming extinct. Like Chancellor isn't a part of the best secondary in the nfl. Ugh
    CowboysYanksLakers likes this.
  7. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,646 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    To me scandrick, minus some of his blatant jersey grab holds is playing very well.
  8. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,784 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    He's good coming forward and awful going backwards. Today's NFL is a passing game. He could play in a 4-2-5 scheme but that's about it. Not a fan.
  9. Cowboys606

Cowboys606 Active Member

368 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    I thank he would be better at linebacker
  10. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,993 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    Church would be better suited as a LB on the weak side. This would solidify our LB corps and having Church and Lee plugging holes would make it virtually impossible to sustain a good rushing attack.

Of course we would need to address a safety and I believe someone like Dion Bailey (USC) would compliment Wilcox well in the back end. He has range for coverage and is the "ball hawk" we've been wanting.
    supercowboy8 likes this.
  11. supercowboy8

5,595 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    Then he needs to play SS like chancellor and needs a earl Thomas next to him
  12. supercowboy8

5,595 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    I agree with all the above
  13. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,758 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    We'll see if a guy like Clinton-Dix is available, and if he is, whether we pull the trigger on him.
  14. supercowboy8

5,595 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    No thanks. Bama players are over rated. Just a great college team. Most players don't transition well. Clinton Dix isn't a earl Thomas type any ways.
  15. ak47kaehu

ak47kaehu Active Member

314 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Good tackler, average in coverage. He's doing his job.
  16. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,758 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    I hear you about Bama players. So is there someone coming out in the draft who might fit that description? Maybe the Reynolds kid from Stanford, or the Bailey kid from USC?
  17. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Not A fan at all -gawd I hope they draft a real FS
  18. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Right, just think how bad Chancellor would look if he were asked to take on Earl Thomas' duties for the Seahawks defense.
  19. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,482 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    Average to below average safety....not the biggest problem....certainly not the answer.

Would he start on other NFL teams? In my opinion, very few.
  20. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

405 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I don't think Church is a Pro Bowl Safety but I also don't think he's the weak link on Dallas defense either.. Church has had its ups & down this season just like the rest of his teammates but Church isn't at the top of my pecking order of guys i feel like we need to replace during the offseason.