1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What does everyone think of Livings at LG?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyChris, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    We'll all try not to show our disappointment. :)
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,965 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    I would not say fine but pretty solid if that was the case. But very true if he is either your best or second best O lineman then you have a SERIOUS PROBLEM.
  3. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,361 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    I'm ok with him. You can win with a guy like him, but he shouldn't be the best or second best lineman on your team. He is an adequate starter that doesn't destroy an offense. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for a few of our other starting linemen.
  4. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,361 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Lol. I didn't read the other replies until after I posted. You apparently wrote basically the exact same thing. Didn't mean to repeat you. :)
  5. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Free agents are expensive at every position, they are actually cheaper on the interior than elsewhere if you compare the prices vs. talent at other positions. Question is if there will be any available that are worth the chase, without Nicks, the Bucs run game actually improved. Contrary to thinking, you don't need all-pros there, but we need to be more solid than we are right now.

Cause of the situation, I hope for us to have another aggressive free agent period although they did let me down not going for a center last year. We just have to find a couple of people in free agency cause there is noway we can fill all our needs in the draft without reaching. Would like to see one high priced FA brought in whether its OL, safety, or whatever so we can eliminate something.

You mentioned position groups, but really there isn't a position group on this team that couldn't use improvement or youth. Alot depends on Spencer, if resigned it will open up alot of options, if not then we are stuck with taking a pass rusher high cause its just plain so hard to find them later.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with going pass rusher in the first. The key is using s second or third to start the building process. Other areas need upgrading as well, so you are correct, but the largest positional group on the team continues to be ignored when these other areas have had some decent resources spent on upgrading from time to time. This last draft was really the killer. It could have produced two oline starters without using a first round pick. These free agent gap fillers are not a solution. This approach produces average teams and these 8-8 seasons will continue if Jerry doesn't change. I don't expect him to change and we will be here every year posting about this ongoing problem.

There is nothing bad that can come from making the oline a strength on this team instead of an area that is just good enough to get by. I honestly think they have waited a couple years too late and Romo, Witten and others will be washed up before a quality line can be built from the draft or free agency.
  7. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I wouldn't move Smith because of Parnell. Smith is the LT of our future. He's only 21. He struggled at the beginning of the season but has played alot better as of late. It kills me to say it becasue I am or was a Doug Free fan but I think I'd bench him in favor of Parnell. Parnell looks better out there at LT than Free does at RT.

I'm not impressed with any of the interior linemen. Costa impressed me for a game and a half. But he's made of tissue paper. He will always be a player that's hurt. For that reason, I don;t think he will ever amount to anything in football.

Livings and Bernadeau are terrible signings. We need an OT, 2 OGs, and a C in the draft and free agency next year... Though we COULD give Costa one last chance next year to man up and play football for more than a game. If we really pfocussed on the Oline in the offseason, and brought in a creative top notch offensive coordinator to call plays, I really believe this team could be Superbowl bound.

But I don't see Jerry or Jason's ego allowing a move like that to make the team better... It's all about them.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,042 Messages
    442 Likes Received
    Livings appears to be a solid pass blocker but all of our interior line is dreadful at run blocking. Too many plays on the ground.

Bernadeau was dreadful in pass blocking early on. He has sharpened up, but the strategy is to get Doug Free wide and then go wide on Mack. At least that's what it was before Mack moved inside (where I feel like he looks better for pass blocking).

All that said, Livings, Bernadeau, Cook, Dockery are just terrible in the running game from what I can tell. Even when pass blocking is good, we just can't punch holes in the running game at ALL.
  9. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,317 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    I think we should shoot for Livings being the "weak link" in the line next year. He is serviceable and there are three other O-line positions where the team has not even had that for long stretches this season.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Looks like we are stuck with these FA linemen. According to Archer, the team is over the cap by 20 million as it stands now. If upgrades are made, it will come from the draft.
  11. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,157 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    He is what he is: A guy who is barely capable of starting in this league. The fact that he is one of the better linemen on this team is disturbing.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,735 Messages
    5,267 Likes Received
    That's pretty much the best way to put it.

I'm embarrassed by the names we have to talk about with this offensive line.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    When it comes to OG play this year, I've seen guys who struggle with combo blocks. I've seen a guy in Dockery who can't move well enough to address stunts or twists regularly. I've seen a guy in Livings who struggles to block sometimes in space in the running game, and a guy in Mack who started out unable to anchor well in pass blocking and who also had some struggles with zone blocks early but who's settled down to be an adequate pass blocker and better in the running game. I've seen a C in Cook who, for the most part anchors well against the pass but who's lousy with getting to combo blocks and who can't move well enough to block effectively in space and who's too tall to play with any decent leverage in short yardage situations.

When it comes to OT play, I've seen guys who sometimes struggle when they're isolated against a speed rusher on either side, and a guy in Free whose footwork problems have made him again susceptible to bull rushes and who's struggled to hand of players to the RG properly.

The problems I see with the OL are mostly that we've got to have better play from our starting C and our RT. Our LT, too, needs to get better, but that position is as locked-up as it's going to be so there's no real point in talking about it other than to say Smith needs to get better with experience. The OGs haven't been great, and we need to address the position with at least one more starting-caliber player, but they pass block ok and the zone blocking is getting better, at least. It's not good, but it'd be adequate with a little stability and a starting C who's able to do his part.

Where am I off base according to the other OL experts out there who just think we need to scrap the entire OL and start over?
  14. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,330 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Livings is OK, but I want Jonathan Cooper from North Carolina in the draft
  15. Deep_Freeze

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    I guess where we disagree is the 'last draft was a killer' part. In the 2011 draft we had just spent 3 picks on the OL (even if they weren't as high as some may have wanted), but the 2012 draft addressed some needs on the D. The D was in desperate need of youth, and in the 2011 draft we only chose 2 defensive players. There are 2 sides to the ball, and sorry if the team addressed the other need in 2012 (with only 2 of them being offensive), but it had to be done.

As for going pass rusher in the first, I've never been a Spencer fan but I starting to think we have to resign him at this point cause we just have too many other need to address. If he is resigned, then we have more options when it comes to the draft. If we end up in the teens, then perhaps we can look at another tackle there to replace Free if Spencer is signed.
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    With so many holes to fill, this last draft was a one man draft. Crawford hasn't contributed much at all. Dallas spent a 1,2,3, two 4s and 7 in the draft on defense. Add a 50 million dollar corner, Scandrick's extension, Conner signing etc, this was way too many resources for one side of the ball. Guess what? It hasn't added any wins. This will be a 8- 8 team at best. How was the last off season a sucess? More turnovers? No. More sacks? No. I.hasn't worked.
  17. Deep_Freeze

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    The problem is your not seeing that this just wasn't a good football team. Add those OL that you speak of in 2012 and our D would stink to the point to where we would still be 8-8. As for already giving up on later round picks on D makes me know why you gave up on them on offense also, cause you really have no clue how Crawford, Wilber, and such will develop.

Do you really think that if we made those 2 OL additions you speak of, our team would have a better record right now??
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,965 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    Romo might be in a lot better physical condition and less gun shy. Just how important MIGHT that be?
  19. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,587 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Pay no attention to what writers say about Dallas' cap situation. Things like redoing Carr's numbers, extending Romo, etc., will change all that.

If there is someone Dallas really wants to get — like Carr last year, the Cowboys can manipulate the cap to do it.
  20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Yes, they would have a better record. Three picks could have been made in the first two rounds. Two linemen and one defensive player. The question for you is with so many holes on the team, wouldn't three starters be better than one? Look at the whole team and explain how one starter is better than three. That is not even counting the resources spent on free agents, which 90% went to the defense. If Ryan can only coach with a whole draft and nearly all the free agent resources, he needs to be replaced. How well has this approach worked? Not too good. Maybe they spend all the resources on safeties, DEs and OLBs and that will work better.