1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What happened to this offense?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Jan 23, 2013.

1. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

2,784 Messages
    844 Likes Received
    [youtube]RYx5KoFuFio[/youtube]

[youtube]aT9QWiu63uE[/youtube]

If you look, you will see there is rarely pressure in Romo's face. The pressure comes on the tackles, who run the play outside and allow Romo to step up and throw it. We seemed to run a decent playaction scheme under center.

Look at Romo's footwork. He seems more nimble on his feet and his feet are shuffling, much like Peyton Manning's. I believe after this year is when he said he was going to try to emulate Brady's footwork more.

TO was a beast. I forgot how much separation he got from guys.
  2. Zordon

Zordon Infinite Crab Meats...

8,253 Messages
    2,978 Likes Received
    we need texas stadium back.

also a legit 3rd receiver and a pocket he can step up into.
  3. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,874 Messages
    205 Likes Received

Jason Garrett decided to cut 4/5 of the OL in the same year without having any replacements ready..

and the WRs like Austin who had one good season and Hurd and Crayton are all gone and TO had his last hurrah.

And our RBs have been about as durable as china dolls.

Other than that..nothing has changed..Why would you ask..?

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS:starspin
  4. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,641 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    The offensive line has degraded year by year by year since Garrett got here.
  5. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was about to say stadium too......did the new stadium affect anything?
  6. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,267 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Say what you want, but for about a three year period TO and Romo had more TD's than any other WR/QB combo. Dez looks to like he is becoming a TO caliber receiver. Crayton despite his mouth was absolutely fearless. Both of them were durable as well. We just need miles to stop being a princess and get Harris the ball and we will be back on track as long as we have a average line. You can also tell Tony's game has changed alot as well.
  7. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    521 Likes Received
    Crayton was in just about every one of those highlights..... maybe he was a bit better than Ogletree.
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,641 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Yeah, well he took TO's side against Garrett so he had to go -- despite having ridiculously good chemistry with Romo. He was his security blanket when Witten was covered.
  9. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Witten has slowed every year since then in spite of his catches, he's not the vertical seam threat he used to be. As good as Dez played in the last several games, he doesnt have the breakaway speed that TO had, we havent had a deep threat since TO left town. We took guys like Crayton and Robinson for granted and settled for OTree.

As other have mentioned our OLine has regressed horribly under Garrett and opposing defenses have simply figured out how to defend us and Garrett's unimaginative play calling. Also as mentioned above we have no running backs that can stay healthy.
  10. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,874 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    I haven't seen any changes over time with Romo at all.

He still chokes in big games, he talks a big game but can't deliver one

..and he takes longer and longer to snap the bloody ball adding more and more advantage to the defense IMO rather than snapping the damned thing and making the defense get caught out of position.

It's a joke. He thinks he's Peyton Manning or Eli. He's neither. He's a wannabe and lost his edge if he ever really had one to begin with.

:( RedBaLL ExPreSS:(
  11. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    you mad?
  12. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    It was seen as a great move at the time to cut all those OL with no replacements....let the young guys play was all that was heard on CZ.

Guess that didn't work out too well, they shouldn't have been cut all at once just like we don't need to be cutting alot of players all over the team right now...cause the replacements just aren't ready yet.

That team choked, but at least they gave fans hope for something better...this team, not so much.
  13. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    Horrible music alert.....
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,279 Messages
    1,241 Likes Received
    I remember quite a bit of frustration over Gurode's dismissal.
  15. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I remember i was happy about the cuts and the new blood. and THEN he Cut Gurode right before preseason. I was stunned, shocked, and appalled. Needless to say its been downhill ever since.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,654 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    I bet our highlight real for this season looks about the same when everything is said and done. Our offense wasn't really the problem after it got going this season once the OL shuffling finally settled down and the WRs started playing better.
  17. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,390 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Jason doesn't cut players. Jerry cuts players. Haven't you learned that by now?

-Columbo could not longer stand up straight.
    -The Gurode cut was financial Jerry/money*
    -Davis was a Jeckly and Hyde (I'll pancake you or utterly whiff)
    -Kosier was released by Jerry when Jones brought in Berny and Livings**

*Proof... http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/6906080/dallas-cowboys-cut-pro-bowl-center-andre-gurode

**Proof... http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4690979/kyle-kosier-to-be-released
  18. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,390 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Huh?!!?

We could never run the ball last season at all. And Tony was running for his life.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,654 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    Couldn't run the ball, but you don't win by running the ball. We threw it well. We just had a lot of drives cut short by turnovers and didn't get enough takeaways to help offset the effect that had on our scoring. But in terms of highlight reel stuff, we had a ton of great plays this season.

I know, I know, JG sucks and can't call plays. I forgot for a minute there.
  20. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Yeah they were getting old and such was said, but doesn't matter if you have noone to replace them, you have to keep them around until you do have someone else unless you just plain can't afford it. Some parallels should be drawn right now with all these people on this board wanting to get rid of everyone, its not like we have the talent base to replace any of them right now.

While I have said over and over again every single position group on this team can either use youth or cutting a contract for youth, that doesn't mean you go around firing everyone.