1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What happened to this offense?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CyberB0b, Jan 23, 2013.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,658 Messages
    2,785 Likes Received
    I'd be interested in seeing a link to these rankings. I can't find them myself. Then I'd like to know to what degree any of them correlate to winning. Net points per drive has a correlation of at least .90, so that's a very accurate stat for a 16-game season. I question how helpful it is to consider strength of schedule while ignoring strength of all your opponents' schedules, and strength of the schedules of *their* opponents, and so on.

I agree that there are problems with points per drive when you try to say a team that scored 24 points on 8 possessions in one game performed better than a team that scored 30 points given 11 possessions in another game, but over a full season those things tend to even themselves out.

Also, neither one of the two factors that you mentioned above -- good starting field position and garbage time scores -- apply to Dallas' 2012 season at all.

These guys had us ranked 11th, and 10th, and 11th.

I'd like to see the ones that ranked us firmly below the top 15, if you (or anybody) can provide links.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Of course and I totally agree.

But saying our schedule was easy when in fact it was the 5th toughest is just wrong. That was the only point I was making with him.

And pointing at that 40% of the schedule had a losing record actually backs up my point. it should be closer to 50% to be average. Turns out only 4 teams had it tougher on paper.

Like I said, they were what their record said they were...a 500 team.