1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What if another TE broke Gonzalez's reception record instead of Witten

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ringmaster, Dec 27, 2012.

1. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,792 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    It be all over sport networks and all big cause that certain tight end would be the best ever but since its witten they down play it
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    I think Gronk is overall even more skilled that Witten.
    But you must give credit to someone doing it over many years.
    Witten has done that and more
  3. ringmaster

ringmaster Well-Known Member

1,787 Messages
    54 Likes Received
  4. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,211 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    It's not a particularly sexy so record, so I'm not super surprised that it's not getting more attention than it is.

But, it does amaze me how little attention Jason Witten gets in general. His career numbers are unreal. He's the best tight end in football and has been for quite a while, and he gets no respect whatsoever from the media. He is an actual tight end too, not just an overgrown wide receiver. I always assumed it's because he's not dramatic or flashy at all. He's a total blue collar type. Maybe if he had a big flashy dance or something...
  5. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Dez Bryant

/homer
  6. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,933 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Agreed. If he were setting the all-time single-season receptions record, it'd be one thing. But he's setting the single-season record for tight ends. Doesn't carry nearly the same cache -- just like when he set the single-game receptions record for a tight end. It's a great feat, but nothing like some of the other single-season record chases going on right now.
  7. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,061 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Witten has been targeted 140 times this season, the most by any tight end. In second is Jimmy Graham, who has been targeted 21 fewer times and has 27 fewer catches.

When Gonzalez had 102 catches in 2004, he was targeted 148 times. And that's not even his career high for targets. He was targeted 150 times (93 catches) in 2000, 154 times (99 catches) in 2007 and 155 times (96 catches) in 2008.

When Witten had 96 catches in 2007, he was targeted 141 times.
  8. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,061 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Clark had seven catches in the first quarter-plus (they played into the second quarter), and six of them came on screens and shovel passes behind the line of scrimmage. The other was a dumpoff pass thrown 6 yards over the middle.

Reggie Wayne caught five passes to get to 100 as well -- four of them were on wide receiver screens, and the other was on a pass thrown 4 yards downfield.

It's like the Colts just wanted to get both Clark and Wayne 100 catches the cheap way before letting them sit, and they didn't care about anything else. Their starters were in for 20 plays -- 18 passes and two runs (for minus-3 yards).
  9. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly right. Clark's last catch was the first play of the 2nd quarter on 3rd and I think 4. He lined up as tailback and caught a pass that was practically a handoff. If they wanted the record they could have easily gotten it on the next series, I think.
  10. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,214 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I just saw a guy with a customized NFL t-shirt, it said "Whitten" on the back.

Hes gotta have a most misspelled last name record for this board.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,680 Likes Received
    Oh, more the media hates us nonsense.

Good stuff.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,153 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    Lemme guess ... the reason for the lack of media coverage for Witten's feat is because there's an anti-Cowboy sentiment.

This stuff never ends ... :banghead:
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    Michael Irving says hello :laugh2:
  14. ringmaster

ringmaster Well-Known Member

1,787 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Who knows maybe he can break the record but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.