1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What if the Cowboys could have the OL of your choice

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Feb 4, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,792 Likes Received
    What if the Cowboys could have the OL of your choice, but no new players at any other positions (you can keep any Free Agents except Spencer and promote any Practice Squad players).

Assume that everyone including Ratliff, Austin, Church, Lee, Carter, etc.. are healthy for game 1.

Possible OLine:
    LT Joe Thomas
    LG Carl Nicks
    OC Nick Mangold/Pouncey
    Jari Evans
    Tyron Smith

Would they Win the division?
  2. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...the division,but may not win the the SB.

You have to have balance. It's a fine line, but it's not beneficial to have Pro Bowlers on one side of the line and retreads at the safety position.

An opposing team will find your weakness. There's no place to hide.
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I don't think we need an All-Pro Oline to win consistently.

What we need on the OL are 2 more quality, solid players.

That should be good enough to utilize our weapons.

We also need to add young blood on the DL and 1 quality Safety. Plus depth at WR and probably one more WR who can line up outside, though that isn't a top priority and can be drafted in April (Harris and Beasley can play the slot.)

It's not really that many holes - IF you have a successful draft and can acquire about 2 decent FAs.
  4. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Tyron wasn't even in the top half of NFL left tackles this season. I'd take Matt Kalil over Tyron.... Kalil beat Tyron out at USC too.
  5. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,939 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I would think so.

I would also think you could choose any 5 (non-special-teams) positions, put the best in the league at them, and make no other changes and win the division. Any half decent team with 5 All-Pros added would be great.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    I would not take Kalil over Tyron because Kalil is a LT and Thomas, IMO, is about as good as it gets at LT right now. I might take Clabo though.
  7. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,457 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Give me Tyron, the two best CBs in the league, the best FB, and the best RB and we still don't win the division.
  8. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I'll take the cowboys line from the 90's. Championship
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    To me, the real question here is, how important is the OL? Would you take whatever five knowing that you could not have Romo and would have to play with Orton? I.E., would the performance of the OL be so good that you could win with a QB like Orton as opposed to a QB like Romo? That, to me, is what this discussion would really be about. Where do you spend your money? Do you spend it on the OL or at an offensive skilled position?
  10. EJ Blue

EJ Blue Member

265 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't think the Giants or Redskins would have been able to stop Adrian Peterson.
  11. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,457 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    It's easy to stop him if he doesn't get out of the backfield.
  12. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Why is every post on this board like "If Jerry cut off his finger and it sprouted into a position player of your choice, would you take it?"

The reasoning would make most sense as just "off season talk" but I feel like we always get this stuff during the season too. Can't we just talk about football, and realistically?
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    wonder where that story came from? Because it is not true. There never was a competition between them. You do realize they were in different classes right? Tyron stayed at RT because the OL coach did not want to mess with what was working so well. But have it your way if you want.
  14. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    I thought I read that somewhere here on CZ. I see a reference to it on Wikipedia (clearly the authoritative guide to NFL info ;)):
    "In his initial year at USC, Smith served as the back-up left offensive tackle behind Charles Brown, and appeared on special teams. He appeared in 10 games of the 2008 season. In his sophomore year, he became a starter at right tackle, appearing in every game of the season except for the 2009 Emerald Bowl due to academic ineligibility. He made 2009 All-Pac-10 honorable mention and CollegeFootballNews.com Sophomore All-American honorable mention.

In 2010, Smith competed with sophomore Matt Kalil for Brown's succession at left tackle, eventually losing out. He remained starting right tackle, and was first team All Pac-10. He also won the Morris Trophy award as the conference's top offensive lineman."
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,885 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Not sure if that team wins a division or not.

If you had 5 All-Pro OL last year (minus Spencer) they probably still dont win even this crappy division. Too many injuries on offense and defense at the other positions.

We need a RB that can take advantage of a good OL. Murray can... when healthy.

We need a defense that can allow us to run the ball. This defense wouldn't.
    Too soft on the DL and at Safety. Depth at LB is a major concern given the recent health of our stud linebackers.
  16. burmafrd

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    according to USC fans at the time we picked Smith they claimed they never had a competition at LT. I figured just like here the real experts are the fans on the boards. Silly me.
  17. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,976 Messages
    1,998 Likes Received
    My ideal OL in 2013 would look like

LT Tyron Smith
    LG Chance Warmack
    C Mackenzey Bernadeau
    RG Kevin Kowalski
    RT Brennan Williams
  18. burmafrd

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    BS. that would be the greatest O line in football history. Tony sits in a rocking chair reading a book before passing. Murray has holes the size of semi trucks to run through. This team scores 50 points a game. On a bad day. And you claim it could not even win the division. Any excuse not to fix the O line.
  19. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I believe that any OL issue Dallas had was more scheme related than talent related. Between terrible RB play, running the playclock to 0 where the DL beats the OL off the snap, poor FB/TE blocking and a schemes that left unaccounted for defenders, I'm not sure that 5 all pros on the OL give fans what they want.

Besides, a defense that creates turnovers and Dallas is an immediate Super Bowl contender.
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    No one forced you to view and/or reply to this thread. There are plenty of other threads where "Realistic" football is being discussed.