1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What is Garrett's issue?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Dec 26, 2012.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,716 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
    I dont get this guy, really. He called a fairly decent game vs the Steelers but then laid a gigantic egg vs the Saints. They only time this team even moved the ball at all was in a hurry up mode.

It seems like he has no sense in what the defense is trying to do against the Cowboys. It kinda feels like he wants the rushing game to stall. Against the Saints he calls a run for Murrays first rush and gains 9 yrds up the middle. Then 4 straight passes and a punt. To me he is reacting to the defense rather then dictating what he wants the team to do.

In terms of a system it seems like it varies by week on what the criticisms are in the media that week. If they're saying he didnt run the previous week he comes with a gameplan of simple and predictable dives he tries to force for 3/4s of a game. Why cant he just be consistent?

I know alot of people here are on this guys jock like he's stashed a hidden super bowl trophy in it. But whats bid deal with him? In all seriousness give this team the way it is right now with a credible coach and i guarantee you they're a 11-12 win team. There is too much talent especially on offense to struggle the way they do.

I dont want to hear about OL because they've shown that they can get the job done. They wont be putting in pro bowl performances but they wont lose a game for you.

IM seriously just trying to get a fix on what draws this mediocre coach to you people.
  2. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Situational football knowing when to run and knowing when to pass. Knowing when to play fast and when to slow it down. I wished we had run it more early and played quicker in overtime. The defense and the 3 man rushes are going to make me lose my mind.
  3. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    First off, I'm not really what you'd call a Jason Garrett fan. I'm still not completely sold on him...

But there was nothing wrong with the gameplan against the Saints. Jason Garrett didn't fumble near our own goal line, or jump offsides on 4th down. I don't think Garrett calls the defense either.
  4. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

723 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Four thousand posts and you think people love Garrett here? LOL in fact, his playcalling is the one thing most fans agree is pretty awful at times.

If it was me, he'd be the head coach but NOT the OC but Jerry for some reason wants to be a cheap *** and have the head coach call plays..
  5. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,888 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    hhmmmm, is it play calling? or execution? fine line between the two.
  6. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    This is my take on Jason Garrett. I think Garrett will some day be a really good head coach capable of taking a team where they want to go. The thing is, I think it will take him a few years and do we have a few years to wait????
  7. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

723 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    A lot of it is playcalling. Take the third down slant play in OT in the saints game. Garrett has called that play alot on third down to get a first. Teams have caught on. Sure, some of the execution can play a part but when teams know what you're gonna call in certain situations, its your own fault when it doesn't work out..
  8. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    I'm not a jg fan either, and I can't put the saints game on in, but there have way too many games in the past couple of years when we weren't ready to play. Ie the seattle game, the redskin game, the giants game last year, etc etc.
  9. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    If execution is the answer all the time - every coach who has ever lived gets a pass. If every play that was called worked like it was sposed to work, the playcallers would be brilliant.
  10. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Still, if Dez makes the proper cut, and Romo puts it on him, the play still works, regardless if the DB knew it was coming. The play didn't work because it wasn't executed properly, not because it was a bad call.

When Manning was with the Colts, they ran the same plays over and over again, every game, and teams still couldn't stop them. Why? Proper execution.
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    Or maybe NFL coaches don't get fired for play calling?

I submit this is the case.
  12. Picksix

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    I think Cameron did (not that I agree with it).
  13. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,293 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    We have just scored 14pts in the last 6 minutes or so. Have all the momentum. Won the coin toss. Get a very nice 1st down gain to Witten. Have the Saints defense on their heels for the 3rd possession in a row. And what does JG call on the very next 1st and 10? A stupid delayed handoff to Murray, when the running game was as usual nowhere to be found the whole game. That was maddening and idiotic. You don't try and establish a run game in OT or try and get cute. Go with what was working, which was Dez and Witten. :bang2:

So many times in his tenure here his playcalling in relation to the situation has not been good. And we aren't even beginning to dive into his clock management issues and how it seems we are usually flat to begin games week after week.

Not a fan of his at all and we desperately need a replacement.
  14. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,815 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    Then why did we stray away from what worked? In OT we ran the ball up the middle in which the Saints knew it was coming. It went for no gain. It was one of those plays that Garrett seems to call that seems out in left field.

Garrett needs to call plays that work most of the time. Stop being trying to confuse the defense by calling plays that haven't worked. In the case with the slant, it was poorly executed. However, if we didn't waste that 2nd down on a run play, I don't think we would be in that situation to throw the slant to Dez.
  15. Picksix

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received

If the defense was truly back on its heels, then a run should have worked just fine. Even if it didn't, it's still 2nd and 10, which gives you chances to go right back to Witten and Dez, which they did. The pass to Witten was completed for about 5 yards. The pass to Dez wasn't. Don't act like one play that didn't work killed the drive. Even pass happy teams like NE, GB, and NO mix in runs when they have momentum.
    Not a fan of his at all and we desperately need a replacement.
  16. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I will never forget all the truly DUMB things Garrett has done in the last 2 years. It's mind-boggling.
  17. Picksix

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    A delayed handoff to Murray is harly out of left field. Remember, in normal situations like that, they go to the line with two plays, and Romo stays with #1, or checks to #2. Probably saw something he could exploit, and went for it. The defense made a play. We scored twice at the end by throwing the ball, but it's not like every play was working. The last score was on a 4th down play, following a couple of incompletions.

It'd be nice to have the mentality that we're just going to do what we want to do, and force the defense to stop it. Truth is, we're not good enough up front to do that. We have to try to outwit the defense. Sometimes the defense wins. Again, if we execute, it's not an issue.

The problem is, people think it's as simple as "if it works, it's a good play...if it doesn't than it isn't, and anything else would have worked better." I don't pretend to understand everything that goes into a play call, and without the value of all-22 and experience in breaking down plays, then it's presumptous to think you know why a play didn't work. Was it a bad play, a bad call, or did one person fail to execute, and the play failed? A lot of people act like they know more than they really do.
  18. WPBCowboysFan

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    If they have enough bad playcalling they do!
  19. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    They get fired for failing to lead, inspire, and win.

I simply do not agree with most fans on play calling. I don't believe any of us have any idea why a play is called, and the assignment of each guy on the field at the time. Maybe couchscout does when he has a specific assignment; but the rest of us have no clue and we base it strictly on if it worked or not. Notice I am including myself in that cabal.

I'll leave it at that because I know me saying that we as fans have no clue why plays are called usually upsets someone.
  20. WPBCowboysFan

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    True, ultimately they get fired for lack of wins. If enough plays dont work well enough they dont win enough.

And, Im full agreement that we as fans dont know/understand enough about why or why not plays are called or not called. Some of it SEEMS pretty obvious to us at times, but in reality, anything we see or think we see, you can bet an NFL coach sees as well. Only he sees a lot more along with it.