1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What is San Antonio like?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Ren, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,079 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Got offered a job there and flirting with the idea of taking it.

What's the city like?

Does it have the same brutal heat + humidity the DFW area has in summer?

Is it clean?

Stuff to do?

School system?

Crime?
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,870 Messages
    4,439 Likes Received
    San Antonio is a great city. Hot but not as humid as DFW. Loved going downtown to the riverwalk. Haven't lived there in ages though so take that with a grain of salt.
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    SA isn't as humid as Dallas, but it is very "burn your skin like bacon" type of heat. I lived in Wichita Falls for a year and a half and I'll take that humidity over the scorching heat of south texas all day, any day. Though SA isn't as scorching as where I'm from (Laredo, about 150 miles south of SA).

As far as the city, it's a really nice place to live other than the heat. I lived there for about a year and I liked it. Lots of stuff to do. Not sure on the schools (I went to UTSA and it's a really good university but I assume you're talking about high school and below?), and just like any other city there's some "Clean" parts and some "not so clean" parts. Crime rate depends on where you live in the city. When you find about 5-6 places you might want to live do some research on the crime rate of those areas before making your decision IMO. That info should be available online or from the SAPD.
  4. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,079 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Just to clear up

by clean i mean pollution, i have a 3 year old with asthma so that's kind of a big deal

Thanks for your replies
  5. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,676 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    It isn't as bad as Dallas or especially Houston in pollution, but it is a big city, so yes it has the thin haze they all do when you are in downtown. If you are on the outskirts it would be light in pollution.
  6. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    San Antonio is just as, if not more humid than Dallas. Whoever said it's not as humid as Dallas has absolutely NO IDEA what they're talking about. :banghead:
  7. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    As you go south doesn't it get more humid in Texas?
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,909 Likes Received
    SA is definitely drier than Houston. They're also more likely to have droughts and water restrictions during the summer.

I think its great for families and tourists, because they do offer so many things to do...

I have no idea on the quality of schools, but I'll hazard a guess that like many cities, some are better than others depending on the area of town.

I'm not a big fan of some of the real estate I've seen, but they do have some nice areas and its a growing city
  9. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    What are you guys talking about? Dallas is no way as humid as the cities south of austin. For the OP, I've lived in Dallas for 22 years, but I have family in SA, and when I visit, it seems like a nice, rapidly growing city with a strong vibrant latin culture. People are friendly, strong family values, but those dang spurs fans are little pests! :D
  10. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    That's where they send the banned CZ members. :laugh2:
  11. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,032 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    Very hot. The city feels dirty to me. But there's plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping to make it a fun place.
  12. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,565 Messages
    2,945 Likes Received
    I have family in San Antonio. They love it.

I've been a handful of times. I vastly prefer DFW to SA.
  13. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I have a good friend that is currently living in SA and if you had specific questions, I could pass them along to him. I think he's lived there for most of his life.
  14. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Concur. I lived in San Antonio just about my whole life and just moved away this May to DFW

San Antonio is border town 150 miles away from the border.

That's what I mean when I say it feels like a border town.

There are school systems there in which children have no chance at improving their lot in life. None.

North side is great. Lots of restaurants.

The pollution, for me, feels so much less than the DFW area. San Antonio is hotter and more humid than DFW for most of the year but DFW catches up around middle of June. When I moved in May it was like going back in time 2 months weather wise.

As far as things to do, there's a ton more water-related activities in San Antonio and the lakes are much closer. Canyon, Media, Calaveras, Braunig, the Guadalupe River system, Comal River system, Blanco, and San Marcos rivers as well. Tubing, watersports, you name it.

2.5 hours to the south, you have the longest undeveloped stretch of public beach in the continental United States, Padre Island National Seashore. You're very close to the coast and Gulf of Mexico in general.

San Antonio is so much smaller than the DFW area. You'll drive an hour in San Antonio and run out of San Antonio.

A few museums and such, plus the zoo, but the FW zoo beats it hands down I've been told.

There is 1/10th the road construction in San Antonio than there is in DFW.

If you're looking to buy a house down there, shoot me a PM as well. I worked real estate down there for a few years before the bottom dropped out in 2008. I can point you to a few really good Realtors that know their business, if you're not getting relocation assistance.

All in all, its going to be an adjustment going from such a large metroplex in DFW to a smaller city, but then you have Austin an hour away too.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,870 Messages
    4,439 Likes Received
    Average humidity in SA is 57 afternoons marginally less than Dallas and marginally more in the mornings. I stand corrected.
  16. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,079 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Might take you up on this after summer if i take the job offer. Would save me a lot of trouble looking for one

Living in Oslo right now so regardless of where i go there's going to be a HUGE adjustment
  17. bounce

bounce Active Member

717 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    It's hot and humid, but where in Texas isn't? You'll adapt to it. It's a great city, so don't buy into the "it's dirty" stuff. There are dirty areas and very nice areas. There are bad areas and very good areas.

The real estate prices are incredible - some of the lowest in the country. I have a 3k sq ft house that was purchased for just under 200k in a great part of town. Gas prices are lower, traffic is better, etc.

There is good and bad to every city, but base it more on people who have lived here rather than people who have visited the riverwalk a few times.
  18. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    If you are getting a good salary, then it is a good deal...

San Antonio has one of the lowest wage scales in the country...

You can buy a LOT of house for a little money...
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    I was born and raised in Laredo, and I also lived in San Antonio (as well as spent a lot of time there) and you, sir, have no idea what you're talking about.

San Antonio is NOTHING like a Border Town (oh yeah, I also lived in El Paso for a couple of years as well as Brownsville and McAllen). Trust me... I know Border Towns and SA isn't close to being a border town.
  20. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,565 Messages
    2,945 Likes Received
    Moving to Texas, and particularly SA, be prepared for lots of property for not a lot of coin, my friend.

Aside from a handful of things I don't like about Texas, it's literally the holy grail of the income-to-cost of living ratio.