1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What team is 6th in offense & 5th in defense in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not nearly as big of a problem as the turnovers on offense. If it wasn't for all those turnovers we'd be right up there with Atlanta and Chicago in the NFC. I agree it'd be nice to see the defense create some turnovers, but when you look at how good they've done against some great offenses this season like Atlanta and New York you have to be satisfied with their performance.
  2. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,994 Messages
    1,744 Likes Received
    Our defense is good enough IF we had a good offense who had minimal TO's, scoring more than 18 pts a game. The defense has played good overall except getting the turnovers.

That mix will yield a .500 team almost every season. The way it stands now is the defense is good enough to keep us in most games but not dominant enough to win them for us.

If both sides did their part in the TO game, it would be a very different team.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,485 Messages
    6,196 Likes Received
    I was *so* sure this thread was going to turn out to be a positive one. Nah, just kidding.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    The scoring against the defense has been pretty good.

Total points against Dallas is 180.

3 INTs for TDs.

1 Blocked Punt

1 KR for TD

And there's probably been a number of FGs that were basically handed out.

And a couple TDs on short fields. Wouldn't shock me if the offense has handed out about 50 points this season.

That would put the total on the defense at about 130 or 16 points per game.

It's also kind of surprising that Dallas really hasn't built much of a lead to allow the defense to really pin their ears back.
  5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,994 Messages
    1,744 Likes Received
    I would love to see other teams play catch-up and see what our defense really is capable of. That would probably create more TO's for us.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    See if you can guess what all that is a sign of?
  7. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jason Campo is a perfect example of a do less with more coach.

He is clueless.

The offense gets worse year after year with him despite adding a number of high picks inlcuding 3 first rounders.

Sparano and Payton were and still are light years ahead of this guy, but Jerry didn't want them. His ego has to have it be "his" guy vs a Parcells guy. He's still trying to prove to people it was him and not Jimmy.
  8. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,383 Messages
    1,155 Likes Received
    Dallas is not scoring points, and hasnt been a top scorer since 2007 (2010 w/Kitna being an exception
  9. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,383 Messages
    1,155 Likes Received
    Would require scoring early....so longshot
  10. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,286 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    Just goes to show you, there is more to sports than just stats on paper. Those rankings don't mean jack.
  11. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,252 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    This is exactly why I maintain that stats r worthless

Man!! We're kickin some serious ***, right?

Not.
  12. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Basing a defense on yardage...yeah...doesn't work in general.

As a few have stated, you have to at least add turnovers, 3rd down conversions, 4th down conversions, pressures, sacks, etc.

I haven't even looked at the offensive side of the debate...but I have a feeling drops and turnovers would dismiss that part too.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,485 Messages
    6,196 Likes Received
    It's which stats you look at that matter; what correlates better with won/loss records: yardage differential, or turnovers?

See, stats can tell you something, after all, if you know what to look for.
  14. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,481 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    I wonder how much of our yards come from having to make up for so many 1st and 20's and so on and so forth?
  15. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,481 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    Stats aren't worthless. They tell a lot. Stats say we are one of the worst scoring offenses in the league. And that's not a lie.
  16. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,066 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    Again, we are LAST in the league in takeaways. We have 8, the Bears have 28.

The Redskins whose defense has been decimated by injuries have TWICE as many as us with 16.

You are kidding yourself if you think that is not an issue. When you constantly have to go 80 yards to score, it makes a difference in how many time you get in the endzone. That''s a big reason we have so many yards and so few points to show for it.
  17. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,543 Messages
    374 Likes Received
    The only thing those ranking tell me is they are a bad measure of both.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,150 Messages
    2,779 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

No... I didn't expect a reception of glad tidings and sunshine.

With a 3-5 season, many expect each and every stat that comes out is "bad", which isn't the case.

However if this team was 5-3, I would be willing to bet that many commenting negatively about the 3-5 Cowboys, would still have plenty of negative to say if someone posted that the team was 6th in offense and 5th in defense.
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,150 Messages
    2,779 Likes Received
    Conversely, the 1977 Cowboys finished first in offense and defense and won a championship.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    lol, I totally predicted this thread. Just wait, by next year people will be saying the team actually did well this year an the record was not an indication of the team overall.