1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

What would you do: obese flier taking up half your seat?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Go Big D!, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Go Big D!

Go Big D! Destination End Zone

1,760 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm just curious how others would handle this situation if it happened to you.

The flier was seated next to an obese man who spilled over his own seat requiring that the arm rests be lifted and in doing so took over half of the other man's seat.

The man was unable to fasten his seatbelt due to the other man occupying his seat. So he had to stand for 7 hours.

The airline's response was:

“The way to ensure you have space available next to you — whether you are a person of size, or you would simply like to ensure you have more personal space to relax on a long flight — is to purchase that additional seat, or First Class, in advance.”

What would you do?

Full article
  2. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I wouldn't fly with them anymore?

Stupid policy imo.

EDIT: Okay I actually read it, not sure what you're asking though. I had assumed this policy of theirs was to require the guy pushed out of his seat to purchase 2 seats. That should be the requirement for the guy taking up more than one seat, but whatever. The airline should have handled this before it ever became a problem.
  3. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,966 Messages
    1,503 Likes Received
    If I was sitting next to this guy I would have suggested he fly cargo next time.

[IMG]
  4. Go Big D!

1,760 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not sure what's so confusing for you. What would you do if you found yourself in this situation.

Would you demand that they remove the man taking up your seat since you paid for it? Or would you cave and just stand for 7 hours?

Additionally, would you insist on a refund of a seat you were not allowed to use that you paid for?

And yes, that was the airlines response. Basically if you're worried that an overweight person will force you out of your seat, you should purchase two seats.
  5. Go Big D!

1,760 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't even see how they would allow him to sit there and block the aisle. I would assume it would be against some safety regulation.

At the very least they wouldn't be able to move the beverage cart down the aisle :laugh2:
  6. Hostile

Hostile Driver of the Cowboys Bandwagon Zone Supporter

119,147 Messages
    3,259 Likes Received
    I would have stood too and let the man sit down.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

23,330 Messages
    10,765 Likes Received
    I would have realized that my uncomfortable flight pales in comparison to what that guy is going through with his weight problem.

I'd have cut him some slack.
  8. Go Big D!

1,760 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Would you look into being compensated for the loss of your seat?

I honestly don't know how I'd handle it. I've given it some thought after reading the article. I generally don't like to make waves and sometimes put myself out for the benefit of others. But I also don't have the money just to throw away so that somebody else can take my seat, that I paid for, so that they can be more comfortable.

If I gave up my seat, I would definitely see about a refund of some sort.
  9. Go Big D!

1,760 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So you're fine with paying for his extra seat?
  10. rickwil61

rickwil61 Member

324 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I may have ended up standing but I would have to go back to the airliner for some kind of a refund. I have no way of knowing how big the person I'm sitting next to is going to be and to ask me to buy an extra ticket just in case is stupid. I think I would notify the flight attended and make sure I got their name as a witness.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,688 Messages
    8,460 Likes Received
    I'd wedge myself in there and cuddle up.
  12. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,643 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    I would have stand but make sure that I was not happy. On the brighter side of things, if the window broke next to you, the large man could plug it and you would not be sucked out due to the pressure. I saw that on a show once that it was scientificallly done and proven.
  13. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,035 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I would stand. But then I would get a refund and also request an additional free flight for my inconvenience.
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

21,040 Messages
    1,379 Likes Received
    Your lightweight butt would just get sucked out first!:laugh1:
  15. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,411 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :lmao:
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,411 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    My honest response is, if you can't fit into a single seat with the arm rest down, then you need to buy a second seat. Standing is not an option as it's against FAA rules.
  17. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,754 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...once. Two obese gentlemen we situated on either side of me and there was no way I could sit down between them because they were already touching each other in the middle with the arm rests raised up.

The flight was over the Pacific and it would have been about (18) hours standing and no restraint on the take off or the landing.

Their solution was to kick me off the plane while my family flew on. What the airline said was it was my problem and I should have been in my seat first to prevent the others from gaining the space.

I calmly stated my case to the airline, but refused to exit the plane. The plane was delayed at least an hour and I was given a first class cabin on the next flight with my first ticket fully refunded.

While awaiting the solution the flight crew complained about how the airline didn't enforce dimensional rules for the purchase of seats and I wasn't the first one to be posed with this problem.

My Flight to Thailand was free.
  18. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not the biggest guy. Throw me in one of the overheads and start feeding me off of the mini bottle adult side of the bev cart.

I'm a solution oriented person.
  19. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Be the little spoon??
  20. Hostile

Hostile Driver of the Cowboys Bandwagon Zone Supporter

119,147 Messages
    3,259 Likes Received
    Yes, I would want compensation. I think that is fair to ask for given the inconvenience.

I give up seats on buses or trains to women. I don't see this as any different. His weight doesn't make him a horrible person. I'm not exactly small. I know I need to lose weight and I am.

I just think life is better if you show some class and compassion to your fellow human beings.