1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

When JJ sees a star - he thinks he can find a clone

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BringBackThatOleTimeBoys, Nov 26, 2012.

1. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

773 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Ever since Sean Payton left for New Orleans, it seems JJ has been trying to make Jason Garrett into SP II and leverage the glory years of the 90's. Wade Phillips was merely a transition coach for "the next Sean Payton." The irony of this season is Jason Garrett may get fired and replaced by....Sean Payton. Probably won't happen, but the rumors are there.

Going back further in time, JJ was swept by the athleticism of the young Michael Vick, so he made a another pet project of making the scrambler Quincy Carter into MV II.

Don't be suprized in the next draft if JJ acquires "RG4" instead of building the O-line.
  2. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He seems smitten by RGIII. Tim Mac made a good point the other day about this whole RGIII thing and getting lit up by the Redskins. That might have woken him up. Jerry may have seen that if he doesn't do something to change the direction of this franchise, the possibility of the Redskins pounding us for the foreseeable future is in play. We've seen how reactionary he's been to the Giants. I can definitely see RGIII and the Redskins influencing what Jones does this offseason. Whether it's just him trying to find the new RGIII or getting a new coach in here, a move is definitely in play. I just hope it's not something monumentally stupid.
  3. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Yeah he sounded in awe of RG3's performance...I think history will repeat itself. In 2001, he was looking for a running QB because it was becoming the new thing in the NFL so he reached for Quincy Carter.

Unfortunately, the new Quincy Carter will probably be EJ Manual in the 2nd round :eek:
  4. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

773 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Stupid = "See who ***I*** signed?!"

Let's pray he does something different/smart and build the O-line or something like that.
  5. anj113

anj113 Member

951 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    yeah the last time Jerry had an idea about that type of QB ( moblie,etc ) We drafted Quincy Carter.. YOu cant make this stuff up...Its embarrassing..
  6. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,232 Messages
    384 Likes Received
    I actually think that Q. Carter was suppose to be a clone of McNabb.

Kavika Pittman was suppose to be a clone of Charles Haley.

Drew Henson and Hutchison clone of Aikman.

Getting Joey Galloway was going allow us to clone "the greatest show on turf".

Leonard Davis was a clone of Larry Allen.

I could probably name more if I thought about it.

This guy has no plan for this organization he just find the new fad and tries to copy it.
  7. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,294 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    I think you're onto something. And Kaepernick's success will probably reinforce this opinion. And Luck and Tannehill are good runners.

The problem is that the qb field this year seems to be the leftovers from the apparently quarterback-rich draft of 2012. He's a year late, and maybe at least a year early. Quarterback isn't something you should not force. The other problem is that the copycat version is rarely as good as the original.

On the other hand, he has a quarterback with one year left on his contract. Drafting a quarterback wouldn't be the worst idea. But if he's serious, he might trade Romo and go with Orton until the right guy comes along in a year or two. Fans would scream, but it might be the right move for the franchise in the long run. Or it might lead to complete franchise ruin. It's a risk.

But it would have been a better idea had he drafted RG3 in the first place. Which is what I wanted. Fans would have screamed, but how often do you get the chance to trade up for an elite quarterback prospect? We'd be in the position that the 49ers are now in, but arguably better.
  8. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,294 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    We signed PacMan Jones because Jerry regretted not drafting Randy Moss.
  9. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We drafted Dez Bryant because Jerry regretted not drafting Moss.
  10. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,468 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    This thread actually makes a whole lot of sense. Best way to try and "fix" our offensive line is to get a running style type qb. I.e Colin Klein or a similar qb in this upcoming draft. Look what kapernick has done with frisco. I hope this isn't true because I'm a tony fan but it does seem likely.
  11. boyzjunkie

boyzjunkie Member

217 Messages
    18 Likes Received

LOL. Yes. Let's hope the next move is just hugely stupid as opposed to monumentally stupid. Siiggghhh.
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,594 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    I think you are right but from Jerry's perspective, those football players are all that he knows to try to look for.

He has not put together his own system or type of player he wants (and really can't) so he has to get what others tell him are good players or take a gamble on his own intuition. You sort of end up with players that might not all fit together well as they are more random than some teams. You also end up with the classic endless semi-rebuild mode where the new coach & staff is having to play with the old coach's players for the most part.

Staying the course with Red would help out in the long term but forcing or letting him remain as OC & Play caller has hindered (perhaps fatally) his ability to be a head coach.
  13. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He also thinks if we somehow get into the playoffs, we'll magically become world-beaters and smash our way to the Super Bowl...just because the Giants did it.

*I think all the alcohol is finally catching up to him.
  14. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,639 Messages
    3,560 Likes Received
    the psycopath has been obsessed with the Giants since 07. the saddest part of it is he has no idea how to copy their formula.
  15. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,827 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    He tried Julius Jones as Emmitt Smith - Dez as Owens - Bledsoe as Aikman - Barbie as Randy White - He's just a fan, and he thinks like one.
  16. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,869 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Barbie and Randy White?
    You guys are cracking me up.
  17. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,896 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    To the OP....what a great thread! You're dead on in your assessment!
  18. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing this thread because I completely agree with it... But I thought this was common knowledge by now.

Jerry tries to re-create because he's not an innovator when it comes to the field of play.

-McNabb was countered with Rodney Peete, Anthony Wright, Tony Banks and Quincy Carter.

-He took Bryant because he missed on Moss.

-He is too afraid to let go of Garrett because he may become the next Sean Payton.

-He talked up the Carter and Lee combination and the importance of ILBs this preseason because of what San Francisco did last year (maybe a reason why Dan Connor was brought aboard too)

So on and so forth.

The worst part is, it's always a gimmick with him. He never copies the important factors in the trenches, just the flashy 'sexy pick' play making positions.
  19. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Because "flash" sells. Jerry is about money. 8-8 will still equal money. this team may win again when JJ is 6 feet under....until then will never happen.
  20. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,827 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    Oh yeah, Jimmy was short and stumpy, so he countered with Campo. lol