1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

When you are getting your tail kicked in a thread

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, May 1, 2004.

1. BulletBob

BulletBob The Godfather

2,174 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Forgive me, Brain, for engaging this character, but here goes.

Tell me you're kidding, right CP? We were attacked, and decided to pre-emptively root out terrorism. First, we hit Afghanistan, because as a country, the Taliban is harboring Terrorist Most Wanted #1. OK - where to next? Sit around and wait until we actually hit Bin Laden?

Let's look around the region (where terrorism breeds) and assess the dangers. Let's see:

- Which country is in violation of 17 current UN resolutions about WMD?
    - Which country in the past decade invaded a neighboring country?
    - Which country's dictator tried to assassinate a sitting US President?
    - Which country's dictator used chemical weapons on his own people?
    - Finally, and most importantly, which country's government would, if toppled, provide the greatest contrast to fellow Middle Easterners of a government run by a dictator, and friendly to terrorists, versus one which is set up as a Republic, condemning terrorism, and pronouncing freedom?

Oh, and about those greater threats you mentioned, please enlighten us. Perhaps global warming?

I'd love to hear which country was a more imminent threat at that point in time. France doesn't count. :D
  2. CoachParcells

CoachParcells Benched

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Iran, Pakistan, North Korea.
  3. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,636 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    Don't forget Saudi Arabia.

Home of more terrorists then any of the above mentioned.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,241 Messages
    4,569 Likes Received
    That is the only one I would say is more of a threat at that time.

And sad thing is I bet it would be the last place this presidency or any other of the near past or future would invade.
  5. CoachParcells

CoachParcells Benched

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd put my money on Pakistan. They are a hotbed for nuclear technology being sold on the black market and their president lives on very shaky ground, trying to please the U.S. and appease the Pakistani people, who are strongly opposed to the American invasion of Iraq.
  6. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,636 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    The people of Saudi Arabia are more of a threat but the government isn't.

Hwo do you invade an ally?
  7. BrAinPaiNt

61,241 Messages
    4,569 Likes Received

If we want to blunt IMO they are in bed with both Saudi and Isreal.
  8. BulletBob

BulletBob The Godfather

2,174 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Just wait, CP. They are all on the list. However, Pakistan turned into a somewhat-friendly ally. Iran will be dealth with next. However, neither Iran or Pakistan were 1/10 the threat of Iraq.

The only country on your list that comes close is North Korea. Ruled by an unstable (some say insane) dictator, they have nukes, and so are more difficult to deal with directly. All the more reason that we are safer now that Hussein was gone. Had we let those UN resolutions remain unchecked, we would be in the same situation with Iraq as we are now with N. Korea.

Given the brilliance of your rebuttal with this list, I thirst for your insight on how John Kerry would more effectively fight our current war on terror.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

61,241 Messages
    4,569 Likes Received

That is the thing....as long as Pakistan plays ball with the US...they will keep out of going in there IMO.

Now things can change as they seem to do, but at this time they will stick with political pressure on Pakistan IMO.

North Korea....well they already have troops that have been stationed in South Korea for years and from serving there I can tell you if something does happen there one whole camp is nothing more then stumbling block...the camp stationed outside the DMZ.....you have to cross a bridge to get into that camp and that bridge is wired with explosives...soon as the balloon goes up, that bridge goes up and those guys are SOL.

I imagine the US will keep the majority of it's focus on the middle east.
  10. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You and the rest of the left have lost your collective minds. The Ottoman empire? Please. The problem was Saddam. He harbor terrorists and he supported them. He made a public specticle of paying the families of homicide bombers for their actions. He hated America and he had the most to gain by damaging us. If we did not pursue this action he would still be in power paying those idiots in Palestine to blow themselves up and the next logical step would be to turn them loose in the US. That is just a moronic statement on your part. As for the other threats, it looks as though we, by going into Iraq have kinda cooled the jets on some of these other countries you mention. Gadaffi saw us jerk Saddam out of a hole in the ground and said "Hey, the jigs up. I give up my Nukes." You have this tin horn dictator in N. Korea who cries like he is something and hasn't done a thing yet and if worse comes to worse we will take out Pnyong yang. No problem. IF we turn it into another nagasaki it will be his fault. We can and will isolate the guy. As for Iran, they are just waiting to be toppled and that will soon happen. I would suggest you catch up with the rest of the world and join us here in the 21st century instead of hanging out in the Ottoamn empire. :rolleyes:
  11. BrAinPaiNt

61,241 Messages
    4,569 Likes Received

Well I think the whole way he went was a tad extreme....but let us not forget that the reason we know they (IRAQ/Sadamm) had WMDs at one time....is because we, the US, sent them over.
  12. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    But Brain, we also sent weapons to a communist country as well. Are we to hold the administration responsible for that as well. The thing is that what we did 25 or 30 years ago cannot be laid at the feet of this President. The fact is that we are there now correcting that. He no longer has the ability to use them. He actually doesn't have the ability to go to the bathroom unless we say so. I would say we are much better off now than before.
  13. CoachParcells

CoachParcells Benched

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hmm. Where have I heard that theory before? Hmm..Didn't we play ball with Saddam Hussein in the 1980s in our war with Iran. Yeah, that worked out really well.

Funny. he didn't seem like such a bad guy in the 1980s when we were, hmm..how did BrainPaint put it...playing ball with him.

Who cares about John Kerry? Do you? I certainly don't.
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    So then who are you voting for? Kerry or Bush?
  15. BrAinPaiNt

61,241 Messages
    4,569 Likes Received

Never said we were better now or not....never said we should not have went.

Just pointing out that part of the problem is that the US DOES get involved in other countries and many times (no it is not the fault of curent or future administrations) winds up biting us (THE USA) in the backside.

We also sent money, training and weapons to Afghanistan when the Russians were trying to take over that land....years later the same people we tried to help bit us.

We got the Iraqi army out of Kuwait and then suggested for the other faction in Iraq to rise up against Saddam...only to bail out on them and they got slaughtered.

That does not mean we should not have went in this time...but we also must realize that some of this mess is because of past administrations....maybe we should be a tad wiser in who we support against other governments in the future.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

61,241 Messages
    4,569 Likes Received
    If you read my other post you will see that I am not in favor of that....just saying that chances are that is what the government will do.
  17. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Oh, I certainly agree with you thatwe have made some decisions that came back to bite us. But at the time we did what was needed to be done. This president in, office for 8 months was thrust into a world that never existed before. And some, (I'm not including you in this) seem to think that he should have all of the answers. When he makes a calculated decision to get rid of a known terrorist who is supporting terror and who has a history of hate and desire to do us harm, the left gets bent out of shape. Will this bite us in the rear down the road? Who know. If anyone has a crystal ball that works let the rest of us in on it so we know. But the facts are this action was needed. As for us bailing on the oppositon in the first Iraq war, that was a monumental mistake. We should have went straight on through and have taken him out at the time. But we didn't and we are now taking care of that.
  18. CoachParcells

CoachParcells Benched

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Look fellas,

I'm just looking for some balance, that's all. America is no saint and neither is any other country. It is not fair to judge one country over another when in fact when you look at things from an international perspective, you have anarchy between governments. International law doesn't mean squat when the balance of power resides within a very small group of elite countries. The United States, like it or not, has been one of the biggest violaters of the international institutions it played the biggest role in creating.
  19. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Great idea. Let's give up some of our power and give some more power to the other countries and we will all be even and then we can have one hell of a war and everyone gets wiped out. There's balance for ya. You guys on the left want everybody "Even." What's wrong with being the most powerful and the most prosperus? I prefer it that way.
  20. CoachParcells

CoachParcells Benched

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So did the Romans.