1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where is Arkin?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,721 Messages
    5,249 Likes Received
    Scandrick wasn't a 1st round pick but he signed a contract extension that makes him the world's most expensive 4th cornerback.

The cap hit did nothing. We had the money to sign Carr, we had the money to sign a top OL. We had the picks to draft Claiborne, we had the picks to draft a quality OL prospect. We emphasized CB over OL and again,

Can't win that way.
  2. Risen Star

19,721 Messages
    5,249 Likes Received
    It is. It's about Arkin and, by extension, the OL.
  3. Risen Star

19,721 Messages
    5,249 Likes Received
    We used two picks on Claiborne.
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,168 Messages
    2,754 Likes Received
    Right.
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,310 Messages
    3,550 Likes Received
    It has spread across "generations" of coaching staffs.

I realize the real brains behind the operation (Ciskowski) gets credit for Larry Allen, but you cannot deny we have not drafted a quality offensive lineman since.

That indicates our scouts do not know how to evaluate the talent. Or our "information gatherer" does not. Or our GM does not.

Or perhaps the organization does not appreciate the importance of the position and believes it can be "coached up".

Or if necessary, bought in free agency which is an even bigger gamble.

Something is clearly and horribly wrong. Most people who can think rationally have seen this as an issue for the last three to four seasons. There was going to be a reckoning. And now here it is.

We seem to be hitting jackpot on the ILB position.

We need to find someone capable of doing the same on the offensive line.
  6. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,041 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    It's true that the Cowboys absolutely suck at drafting OL, but that is a bit of an exaggeration. Cowboys drafted Flozell and Gurode, who both went to multiple pro bowls. Granted 3 guys in the last 16 years is horrible, but everyone is "high" on T-Smith and Free played well for a "second or two" (see, exaggeration) until falling flat on his face (no exaggeration) in Callahan's system.
  7. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is not giving up two picks he said we gave up two picks. Make up your mind yes we used two picks on a CB we did not give up two picks to get him.

Their is a difference.

We gave away two picks for Joey & Roy
  8. Risen Star

19,721 Messages
    5,249 Likes Received
    You're arguing semantics because you really don't have much. Give up, used.....the bottom line is the Cowboys invested their 1st and 2nd round draft picks on another cornerback. Another instance of emphasizing that position over the very neglected trenches.
  9. Alexander

23,310 Messages
    3,550 Likes Received
    You have to draw a line in today's NFL.

Good or even great players are in scarce supply.

If you want to look at true success, you look at constants.

If you look at the constants and ignore the outliers, pure statistical intellect points you to the fact we cannot evaluate offensive linemen.

We have a low success ratio of picking them out. And even when the law of averages dictates we do, we annoint them.

That is what is happening with Free. We did it with Adams, signing him beyond his useful shelf life because we were frightened of the unknown.

That is the big problem. The "unknown".

In other words, our ability to identify talent.

It is not just at offensive tackle.

That is up and down this roster.
  10. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No I argued what he said I freely admitted we used two picks on a CB and I was fine with it in the draft. We where not drafting the Guard from Stanford either if we did not move up we would have drafted the same guy the Rams drafted in brockers.

I think the team dropped the ball not trading the disaster that is Jenkins this year when they had a chance.
  11. Risen Star

19,721 Messages
    5,249 Likes Received
    What he said was true. We did give up two draft picks for him. You took it to mean the trade, where we gave up one pick.

Claiborne cost the 14th and 45th overall choices. That's what we gave up to select him.
  12. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,585 Messages
    3,463 Likes Received
    we liked zeitler who is having a very good year in cincy.
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,257 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    It is a changing league. Teams used to be able to mine guards later in the draft. Not too often any more.

Teams that want to run the ball are investing high picks on the OL. Seattle and SF for example.
  14. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He sucks. We keep him because our front office has no idea what they are doing.
  15. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,001 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    It's all about the axe-grinding....
  16. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    I big part of that is that teams used to be able to sit on guys for 4-5 years. With RFA starting now at three years service, it is a different situation.

But also, here is a guy who we brought in at G and had to move to C in an emergency. He's never played C, so you might reasonably cut him slack for sucking at that position. Also, he's not had enough time at G (b/c you moved him to center) to get settled. Sorta seems reasonable to hang on to him when you consider that.

Oh no! there I go advocating for context in evaluation!
  17. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,257 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    I'm not even sure what you are trying to say. Are you defending the approach to the OL this year?

This team stinks at evaluating OL and rarely invests premium draft resources in that position. Look at their draft history for any proof you need.
  18. Alexander

23,310 Messages
    3,550 Likes Received
    We "like" a lot of offensive linemen.

The problem is usually we take shots at a Robert Brewster believing we can get fortunate.