1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where they fit - do they improve the team

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Tobal, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,983 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    1. Barron starting safety day 1
    2. Decastro starting guard day 1
    3. Ingram if he doesn't start he's in on passing downs, can he replace Spencer on all downs? day 1
    4. Poe day 1 starter at NT if nothing else he can eat space. How quickly cab he learn to provide the rush. Allows Ratliff to move outside day 1 or bust
    5. Brockers starting DE day 1, but out in the nickle which is where we struggle most.similar to Poe 2 down player for now - helps Ratliff in run day 1 plus, but can he ever rush the passer?
    6. Gilmore likely wouldn't start and might not be the nickle CB - would see the field alot and replace Jenkins in 2013 plus
    7. Kirkpatrick same as Gilmore but might convert to safety
    8. Chandler Jones and Mercilus replacements for spencer and 3rd down rushers - push year 1
    How do you see the impact from these guys
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Barron - Day 1 starter

DeCastro - Day 1 starter at OG or OC

Cox - Day 1 starter

Brockers - Part of rotation.

Poe - part of rotation or bust.

Gilmore and Fitzpatrick - nickel and depth this year, possible starter in 2013.

Ingram and Branch and Perry, etc. - part of pass rush package.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,309 Messages
    6,284 Likes Received
    More fixation on instant impact.

It's drafting for need in disguise.

Flush, wash, rinse.
  4. DEZBRYANT x88x

DEZBRYANT x88x Caps8Cowboys41

2,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just give me #1.
  5. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,352 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Who plays FS if we draft Barron? I guess we could put Sensabaugh there but Pool is a much better centerfielder than Sensy.

A Barron-Sensy duo is a step backwards in deep coverage from a Pool-Sensy or Pool-Barron combo.
  6. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,983 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    no doubt, but it's also reailty. How many years do we have with Romo and Ware at thier peak? Also a day 1 starter is likely to start for the next 5 yrs, whats the problem with that again?
  7. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,983 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Barron, Cox and Poe are going to be gone. If we want Barron we have to trade up.

It's looking more and more likely for my taste is to hope Decastro is there. If not trade down and get a rotation guy and some peices later.
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Sorry, you don't draft developmental players in the 1st, unless the pass they ball for a living. And if the player isn't better than who you already have on the team, and who you have isn't all that great, then that tells you all you need to know.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Theo we have two guys who are at FA stage that we might not re-sign in Jenkins and Spencer. We always complain that we have no depth and this causes Jerry to sign foolish long-term deals on mediocre players (see Spencer's $8.8M franchise tender). Well if you don't draft players who will play behind these guys you'll always be caught in the situation of re-sign or reach in the draft and hope somebody will fall to you to fill that need.

The truth is that most rookies need some seasoning and very few are ready to be full-time starters day 1. You have to give them some time to acclimate to the game at the pro level.

It is very important that we get a CB (only have 3 on the roster, need at least one more, Scandrick isn't very good, Jenkins is coming off a major injury and approaching FA) and an OLB for the future.

I really believe that if we spend premium picks at OLB and CB both players will see the field a lot this year. We need to get Spencer out of there in the nickel and we played Ball/Walker a lot last year so there is definitely playing time for a CB.

Right now it looks like Cox and Barron won't be there for us but Ingram might - however we don't like him for our scheme. The only day one starter left is DeCastro but he plays a non-impact position. I think we can trade down and instead of drafting DD as day one starter at OG we can find a similar day one starter in the early second or late first in Zeitler or Silatolu. Or we could trade down into the 20s and grab Whitney, Branch or McClellin who could all start day one if the franchise were to release Spencer to save the cap dollars.

In our position where we are regularly sitting close to the salary cap limit we always have to think about how we acquire players - extensions, FA and draft. We have to use all 3 to build a solid roster with the understanding of fitting all the players under the cap at the end of the day. So two picks today to free up $20M cap space next year gives us ammunition for extensions (Sean Lee, Dez, Lissemore, Brent, Butler), release of underperforming players (? Free, ? Scandrick) or FA acquisitions at positions of need in 2013. All these factors have to be considered in balance and we have to start preparing for players who are aging and showing signs of decline (Rat, Witten) - this is a young man's game.
  10. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    If we draft an OLB in the first I think they'd withdraw the franchise tag and dump Spencer. Both Ingram and McClellin could come in and start at 3-4 OLB immediately and have an impact. And with the way tha Jenkins played last year I don't think it's a stretch to think one of the first round corners would be better than Jenkins immediately. Regardless, for the very reasons I stated I don't think corner or OLB are targets at 14.