1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Which (L) Game derailed Dallas's 2013 season?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dstovall5, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,166 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    I strongly feel it was Denver.

The fact the team played that team so closely..

I think gave many a false sense the Cowboys were for real.

We s9n learned again..

they weren't.

So I think it set false expectations for the players, coaches and media.

That was a critical mistake in this season.
  2. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

960 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Yes... Tony Romo barely beat a far inferior team. Good for him. Romo Romo'd away more games this season than he won.
  3. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Well-Known Member

1,069 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    I won't say the DET was the worst because it was a relatively close game.

The Green Bay lead getting wasted, and failing to utilize the run game when Murray was doing well was indicative of the coaching staff. That moment ensured me we wouldn't do anything well to get into the post season.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,949 Messages
    7,698 Likes Received
    If that DEN game didn't make the point that we need to defend the pass better, still, I don't know what will. Playing closely doesn't matter if you can't stop them when they're throwing for the wins.
  5. logan

logan Active Member

162 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Detroit, I think. That was the game that showed everyone these were the same old mentally weak Cowboys. The Green Bay game ended up being irrelevant. Even if we had won we still would have needed to beat the Eagles to win the division.
  6. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,672 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    The Denver loss was a heartbreaker, because it showed us we weren't going anywhere with that defense. It was Romo's second loss with 300+ yards, 4+ TD, and a 140 rating, which is unreal.

A QB has put up those numbers in a game 83 times since 1960. Romo is 1-2, and everyone else is 80-0.
    wileedog and CyberB0b like this.
  7. Next Years Champ

Next Years Champ Active Member

508 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    oh no doubt.

Thats where we really knew the future.

Many, including me..

thought Dallas had a clue despite the injuries and the defensive breakdowns.

But Hatcher was already losing some steam..

Selvie had sort of popped his bubble after his great start..

..and the Posse that was the rest of the DL and Lber/safeties were just overwhelmed.
    Idgit likes this.
  8. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,441 Messages
    483 Likes Received
    Detroit was the most obvious for sure. But you could tell after the first 2 games we were pretty much the same team. Except maybe thinking that we'd have a half decent defense after the fluke in week 1.
  9. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    It was the 1st 2 games. We had a huge lead on New York and let them back into the game and held on for a close win at home. Then game 2 vs KC on the road we failed to establish the run. Good teams don't play this. They put teams away and control enough of the clock to help there own teams defense.
  10. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received

Very agreeable, the Saints and the Bears were the eye openers for the talent or lack thereof and that doesn't bode well for next Season.
  11. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,741 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    SD game showed me that an above average QB was all that was needed to shred this defense apart. I felt that we could hang in and beat teams with inferior QB play, but would have a hard time beating a real QB. I was right. We had pretty much a healthy defense when we played SD.

The Detroit game was a heartbreaker, but not unexpected. I posted before the half in the game thread, that we needed to be scoring TDs and not FGs, and I got a responses telling me that I was just a negative poster who was never happy with the team scoring. Well guess what?
  12. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

913 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Can't believe the Saints game isn't getting more votes. That was the beatdown of all beatdowns!!!!! It exposed Jeff Heath as a fraud @ FS. It showed our coaching staff couldn't adjust on the run. They were content in just getting their heads kicked in. We couldn't stop the run.(Not enough talent up front) We couldn't stop the pass. (Passsive scheme)It was pathetic. And you knew from that point we were just gonna be over matched for the rest of the year because of injuries. That people...was the real back breaker!!!!
    CowboyFan4Eva likes this.
  13. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,625 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Im with you on NO game. I actually had a little bit of confidence we could steal that game..what a trainwreck.
    I remember being lit pretty good for end of that det game, and even I saw that sneak coming..geez
    CowboyFan4Eva likes this.
  14. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,010 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    It's short-sided to think 1 game cost us the season.

We converted from a 3-4 to a 4-3, but drafted no defensive linemen. We paid Spencer 10+ million, when guys like Osi, Freeney, Bennett, Avril, and others were signing for about half that. We hired a geriatric defensive coordinator, whose own son had to run him out of town because his defense was so terrible. We randomly changed offensive playcallers. We made the mistake of thinking Jay Ratliff would be a contributor. We made the mistake of thinking Sean Lee could last a whole season.

We didn't get unlucky. We got beat before we even started preseason.
    Doomsay, wileedog, daveferr33 and 2 others like this.
  15. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,490 Messages
    2,901 Likes Received
    I guess you missed the part where I said "for the most part"..............that is synonymous with "mostly".........synonymous with "mainly"..........never said it was 100% exact.

Reading comprehension my friend............don't be so quick to type a snarky response before reading and understanding what you are responding to.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,949 Messages
    7,698 Likes Received
    Ah! My bad. You meant "exactly, for the most part the same." In that context, you're making perfect sense. For the most part.

And by that I mean, exactly none at all.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I thought 2011 against Detroit would have satisfied that quota.

What would take any normal coach 2 lifetimes to achieve has already been accomplished by Jason in just his 3 short years as head coach. He's so far ahead of the game it's laughable.
  18. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

3,538 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    I don't know about derailed. I think our train traveled off track most of the season…
    but the chiefs game made me realize where we stood. And the SD game confirmed it.
  19. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,483 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Detroit was the beginning of the end.
  20. Next Years Champ

Next Years Champ Active Member

508 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    yep..

hope springs eternal.

DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE

nothing else matters in Dallas.

The problem you have to avoid is to establish good defense while also not dropping your offensive aggression once the defense improves.

That's a problem many teams can't blend well.

They start to play for 24-20 type games scoring wise and thats not the way the league works anymore.