1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Which (L) Game derailed Dallas's 2013 season?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dstovall5, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,472 Messages
    2,891 Likes Received
    LOL...........I would explain it to you but I don't have that much time............carry on.
  2. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,845 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received

I guess there's always going to be one, thanks for adding to the discussion. :)
  3. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,845 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    That always counts for something, right? Fun to watch those games, not ever fun to lose them.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,203 Messages
    5,454 Likes Received
    Actually it really does not for me personally. I have never watched a loss and then took away "wow, but that was just a highly entertaining contest!".

I would much rather be bored to death and win.
    BigStar and dstovall5 like this.
  5. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,061 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    Well done! The sad thing is that we still had a chance to win the division despite the off-season ineptitude, but the coaching staff literally couldn't get out of their own way in two or three won/winnable games.
  6. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,061 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    I think that was a tongue in cheek Jerryism that you bit on.
    BigStar likes this.
  7. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    What do we mean by "derailed?" The team finished with a record commensurate with its ability. It's not like we were headed for 13-3 but went into a tailspin after an emotional defeat.
  8. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

1,205 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    I agree.

I wouldn't say there was one specific loss that really "derailed" the season. We saw the same inconsistent, injured, middle of the road team that we saw last year basically.

But, with that being said, my vote would be the Detroit game, followed by the Green Bay game, followed by the Denver game.

If we win 2 out of those 3 we most likely finish the season in a much different spot. But then again, we could play the "if" game forever and it wouldn't make a difference. Oh well.

Hopefully next year we turn it around somehow.
  9. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    I can't imagine too many teams scored 17 4th quarter pts held a10 pt lead and had 4 takeaways and still lost like we did against det
    BigStar and lwehlers like this.
  10. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,121 Messages
    1,671 Likes Received
    Meh, did Garrett get fired yet?
    BigStar likes this.
  11. Beast_from_East

15,472 Messages
    2,891 Likes Received
    That was only like the 2nd or 3rd time in NFL history a team was +4 on TO margin and lost the game.

Just like 400-1.....................the record of teams with the same lead and points scored in the GB game...............we are the only team in NFL history to lose a game like the way we did.

Add to that list "iceing your own kicker" and Garrett is rewriting the record books...........................LOL.
    BigStar and Muhast like this.
  12. CowboyFan4Eva

CowboyFan4Eva Benched

627 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I was "still" believing, before the NO game........I know.i know......blind blind blind.

But seeing NO, just have their way?? I knew.....this was a really bad , bad football team, detriot and Green Bay too...but it was that NO game. I stop believing....

The only reason we had a shot was because our division......any other division and we would be lucky to win 4 or 5 games....
    BigStar likes this.
  13. Beast_from_East

15,472 Messages
    2,891 Likes Received
    If we were in the AFC West with Denver, KC, and San Diego...........................we win 3 games max.
    BigStar and CowboyFan4Eva like this.
  14. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Detroit. Winning that game wouldn't have changed this team's essential mediocrity but it very much could have gotten us into the playoffs.

And it's certainly the game where I kind of categorically switched into fatalist mode.

This team is what it is. And what it is is a team that occasionally does things like blow really, really large leads while abandoning the run.
    BigStar likes this.
  15. ilykdrama

ilykdrama Active Member

441 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    Denver. Defense mandhandled. Don't care if it was Manning. It was a slap in the face to everyone. I think they know they let Romo down being that 48 points wasn't enough to win AT home.
    BigStar and Beast_from_East like this.
  16. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,576 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I have to agree with an earlier poster, the premise of the question is just wrong, to say that a specific game "derailed" the season implies that their season could have been successful had they won that game,,, this clearly wasn't the case with the 2013 Cowboys. Their team was fatally flawed in several areas and it was consistently bad all year long, if fortune would have smiled upon them and gifted them an additional win they still would have had the bejeezus beaten out of them in the first round of the playoffs.
    BigStar likes this.
  17. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,158 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    I also agree that both the chargers game and the lions game were the crossroads this last season. the chargers exposed the defenses weakness. we had no pass rush and the linebackers could not cover running backs out of the backfield. the saints and packers destroyed the cowboys with the underneath passing game because of the linebackers. the lions game I agree destroyed brandon carrs season. he had no confidence the rest of the season. I have a bad feeling that the jones will not fix the linebacker problems that his team has next year. teams will still beat this defense with short passes out of the backfield.
    BigStar likes this.
  18. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,254 Messages
    2,453 Likes Received
    Both 2011 and 2013 were undone by the Detroit losses.
    BigStar likes this.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,612 Messages
    5,525 Likes Received
    You do realize that division games only make up 6 of the 16 games each year, right?
  20. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,528 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    Only won 3 non division games and the Oakland and Minnesota games were not exactly "decisive"