1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

--- Which method do you prefer for thread titles? ---

Discussion in 'CZ Announcement Zone' started by Reality, Aug 5, 2013.

?

What do you want the thread title links to do?

I want thread titles to always take me to the first unread post like it currently does 72 vote(s) 57.1%
I want thread titles to always take me to the first post on the first page 54 vote(s) 42.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,422 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Let's say I look at a thread when it has 24 posts and them come back later and there are 62 posts. It's nice to go immediately to post 25 instead if trying to figure out which post I read last.
    CowboyStar88 and Erik_H like this.
  2. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,344 Messages
    1,128 Likes Received
    Fair enough. It just seems to me a case of trying to fix something that isn't broke, it may be nice to have but it'd also be nice for everyone to choose their own setting. As the poll shows half the people may like what you're saying, the other half dont mind surfing through threads.
  3. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,382 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Some probably don't read they gloss over a few posts then decide to go back and examine more closely what's been previously said. It's easy to go back just click on whichever page you want to start on. If there's currently only one page just click on the thread title and scroll back. I scroll back a lot so I was torn between the current and the old way but chose starting with the first unread post.
  4. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    It should be left as is, regardless of the vote. The issue with returning to the first page and OP is that people will just end up clicking the last page of the thread and miss a lot of posts.
  5. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,344 Messages
    1,128 Likes Received
    But like another poster said, if there's 50 new posts since i last visited the thread. Who's to say I want to read all of those anyway? You shouldn't be forcing a user to start somewhere in the middle
  6. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    You shouldn't be forcing others to start at the beginning either. There's a good reason why it does this. In either case you can get to where you want to go with the pagination links. This way just makes more sense.
  7. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,909 Messages
    14 Likes Received

The way it works when I click a thread it takes me to the last post of the page no matter what. Even if its a thread I have never read
  8. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,526 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Any reason why it can't just be an option in the settings? Anyway, I greatly prefer it taking me to the unread posts as it does now.
  9. zekecowboy

zekecowboy Member

49 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have had the same problem.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,840 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    I cant believe the vote is this close. One huge improvement on the new site is going to first unread post of thread. Come on Reality, there is no turning back on progress.
    CowboyStar88 and Erik_H like this.
  11. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,422 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    understood. I love the "go to first unread post" feature. I can see that some may not want it. Having a choice might be nice--I just don't want to lose the new option.
    Erik_H likes this.
  12. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    I like the new way it works now. I go to a thread, read the posts and write some snarky reply to someone who said something I disagreed with. Then I'll delete my overly a noxious reply before posting. Then when I go back, it picks up right where I left off, meaning I'm not scrolling through posts I've already read.

I think it's one of the better features on the new forum. Since I'm usually on an ipad, I always tap the thread title. Trying to tap the tiny date below it would be a pain.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  13. Erik_H

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    Because if you last visited a thread that had 2 pages, then It had 5 pages when when you returned, you'd miss pages 3 and 4. It's Last unread, not last page. It's user specific and tracks the exact post tree were the last time you visitedand take you to that post, regardless of page.
  14. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,759 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Can there be an option that like the first one, when you FIRST read a thread, to take you to the first post, then after that, it takes you to the most recently posted post?
  15. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,290 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    Agree with what W'girl says . If the post is not read before it makes sense to go the 1st post which started the thread.
  16. Erik_H

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    That's what it does now though. At least for me it does.
  17. Crazed Liotta Eyes

Crazed Liotta Eyes Member

47 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Having it take you to the first unread post is one of the best changes to this site in my opinion. Before, If I read a thread and came back to it later, it always took a bit to figure out where I had stopped reading previously.
    Erik_H likes this.
  18. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    For clarity, the click to go to First unread post always existed on the Zone. That feature might not have been intuitive on the old site, but there was always an arrow that allowed you to go to the last unread post in the thread.
  19. bb721

bb721 Member

84 Messages
    44 Likes Received

Actually in my case it is working a bit differently. If I click on a thread that I have never looked at before it takes me to the BOTTOM of the first page of the thread, and I need to scroll all the way back up to the top of the page to be able to read the thread from the first post.
  20. Erik_H

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    That is really strange. If click a brand new thread, it goes right to the first post. Just like it's supposed to do.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.