1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

White House press secretary Tony Snow resigns

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Mavs Man, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070831/ap_on_re_us/snow_resigns

WASHINGTON - Tony Snow, the highly visible White House press secretary, will leave his job on Sept. 14 and be replaced by his deputy, Dana Perino, an administration official said Friday.

President Bush was to announce the changes during an appearance in the White House briefing room.

Snow, ailing with cancer, had said recently he would leave before the end of Bush's presidency because he needs to make more money.

The 52-year-old Snow was a conservative pundit and syndicated talk-show host on Fox News Radio before he was named press secretary on April 26, 2006. He is the latest in a string of White House officials to head for the exits.

Friday was the last day of work for political strategist Karl Rove. Others who have left since Democrats won control of Congress are counselor Dan Bartlett, chief White House attorney Harriet Miers, budget director Rob Portman, political director Sara Taylor, deputy national security adviser J.D. Crouch and Meghan O'Sullivan, another deputy national security adviser who worked on Iraq.

Snow has been undergoing chemotherapy after doctors discovered a recurrence of colon cancer in March.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,911 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    $168,000 a year is not much when you have to live and work in DC. He has several children that will be going to college in the next few years. Not to mention he has to consider the distinct possibility that he will not live much longer due to the cancer; so he wants his family to have as much money as possible. I think he would have stuck without this cancer situation.
  3. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think, in retrospect, he probably regrets taking the gig in the first place.

Even though it's not his fault, this Administration has gone steadily downhill the whole time he's been there.

Tony's a solid conservative, and he's had to defend some pretty lousy stuff during his time there... can't be a good feeling.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,911 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    Yeah, it must have really been tough during the Immigration fight. Snow totally was against any type of amnesty when he was with Fox News.
  5. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    While I'm sure he does need the money...I'm sure that's not the only reason.

As Danny said I'm sure he's tired of defending stuff he probably really doesn't believe in.

Just another person getting off the Titanic known as the Bush administration before it goes under.

[IMG]
  6. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,639 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    :lmao2: You call him being in the white house for 8 years a sinking ship .....

:lmao:

What a victory for you libs ......
  7. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't call it Titanic, but this Administration has been a big disappointment.

Maybe this is a more apt movie still to use:

[IMG]
  8. zrinkill

32,639 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    From some of the post on here I think it should be this

[IMG]
  9. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The ship is sinking...but it was a slow leak.:D
  10. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Bush and Cheney should be forced A Clockwork Orange style to watch that movie over and over again for the next year for what they have done.:p:

[IMG]
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,629 Messages
    2,646 Likes Received
    If you are a true conservative or a left wing nut liberal makes no difference.

It was a horrible administration.

The only people I can see that liked it was Neo-cons and bush friends.

I feel bad for all of the Press Secretaries under the Bush admin as so many stories would break and they were left out in the wind without knowing about it.

Well...I don't feel bad for Ari as that guy was scum IMO.

Snow just wants to get some time away from it all and be with his family.

Hard to fault a guy who has been battling cancer and still going up and doing what he was doing.

Did not always care for his attitude but at the same time I can understand it due to his health issues.

Good luck to Tony Snow and I hope things work out for him and he beats the cancer.
  12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,449 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    The Bush legacy in a nutshell: they were good at winning elections but lousy at governance. Once Rove became a prominent player in enacting policy, the bi-partisan strategy that worked so well in securing the passage of No-Child Left Behind was abandoned with crippling consequences.
  13. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,209 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Well at the beginning of his presidency it seemed the country was all for a more conservative government and getting away from the Clinton years. The republicans at one point held the majority in every facet of the federal government. It is because of a backlash against Bush that the dems took over the house and senate and have a decent shot at the presidency in 2008. That is a sinking ship if not a extremely quick disaster such as the Titanic.

It is similar to the Titanic in some ways. The builders of the Titanic went with style over substance. They built the largest ship, but took short cuts to get there. Bush does a lot of talking and poor follow through. I think he is poor representation of true conservative government and just a poor leader in general
  14. zrinkill

32,639 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    I totally agree with that. But I do not think we have a good one since Reagan.
  15. zrinkill

32,639 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    Thats better bud ...... :laugh1:
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well the Titanic reference wasn't really about the speed of the sinking as it was about the Huge disaster...which I think is definitely comparable to the Bush administration.:p:
  17. zrinkill

32,639 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    Unfortunetly we have put up with almost 16 years of disaster ..... :p:
  18. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd relish the possibility of a Bush/Clinton-less White House after 2008, but I think that's highly unlikely.

And then, what happens if Jeb runs after Hillary is through?
  19. zrinkill

32,639 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    Alot of people think that the Bush's and the Clinton's conspire on how to keep their 2 families in power.

I don't think so .... but it would not surprise me.
  20. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Didn't your ilk often refer to Bill's time as the Titanic?