1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

White House ridicules Cheney over criticism of Obama

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Mar 16, 2009.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

29,030 Messages
    437 Likes Received
    Looks like this administration is adopting the Scientology view... attack every one that attacks them...

We have more important things at hand...

Link

White House ridicules Cheney over criticism of Obama
    By Matt Spetalnick

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration issued a scathing response on Monday to criticism from former Vice President Dick Cheney, calling him part of a "Republican cabal" and saying his economic advice should be ignored.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs used his daily briefing to ridicule Cheney, who said in a CNN interview that President Barack Obama's revamped policies on terrorism suspects would make the United States more vulnerable to attack.

"I guess Rush Limbaugh was busy so they trotted out the next most popular member of the Republican cabal," Gibbs said in a sarcastic tone, referring to the conservative radio talk-show host whom Obama's fellow Democrats have depicted as the new leader of the Republicans. :rolleyes:

Soon after taking office on January 20, Obama started rolling back some of Republican predecessor George W. Bush's most divisive national security policies.

He ordered the closing within a year of the internationally condemned Guantanamo Bay military prison in Cuba and an end to harsh interrogation of terrorism suspects held there.

"The president has made quite clear that keeping the American people safe and secure is the most serious job that he has each and every day," Gibbs said in defending Obama's decisions.

Cheney, who under Bush became one of the most powerful vice presidents, had championed tough interrogation methods implemented after the September 11 attacks of 2001, and was also an architect of the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

"He is making some choices that, in my mind, will, in fact, raise the risk to the American people of another attack," Cheney, in Sunday's interview, said of Obama.

Gibbs pushed back hard on that point. "For seven-plus years, the very perpetrators that the vice president says he's concerned about weren't brought to justice," he said.

"The president in the very first week of his administration chose to change that, to take ... these that had committed terrorist acts, and to finally bring about, instituting a process to bring about swift and certain justice," he added.

Asked about Cheney's suggestion that the White House was trying to take advantage of the economic crisis to expand government, Gibbs said, "I think not taking economic advice from Dick Cheney would be maybe the best possible outcome of yesterday's interview."

Asked whether his caustic tone in responding to Cheney was proper, Gibbs said, "Sometimes I ask forgiveness rather than for permission ... I hope my sarcasm didn't mask the seriousness of the answer."

Also...they should put the actual quote from Gibbs...

"I ummm.... guess uhhh... Rush ahhh... Limbaugh ummmm... was uhhh.... busy so ummm... they uhhh... trotted out the ummmm.... next most ummmm... popular member of uhhhh....the Republican uhhh... cabal,"

and did he really say "cabal"?
  2. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    For those who didn't see it...

[youtube]xat5951SZ9I[/youtube]
  3. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,386 Messages
    2,557 Likes Received
    This behavior is absurd and will backfire. By evoking and castigating Rush Limbaugh at every opportunity, the White House is only creating an atmosphere of sympathy for both Limbaugh and his views.

Eventually, the White House is going to start conjuring images of gadflys and hemlock.
  4. trickblue

29,030 Messages
    437 Likes Received
    Told you... ;)
  5. ScipioCowboy

15,386 Messages
    2,557 Likes Received
    Hilarious.

In the background, there's one person laughing loudly in hopes of masking the fact that no else is laughing.
  6. trickblue

29,030 Messages
    437 Likes Received
    [IMG]

ummm... ohhh... ahhh... ummm... ooohhh... mmmm.... ooorrhhh... aaahhh...

[IMG]

Approves!
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,431 Messages
    2,175 Likes Received
    Tell it to the Vets and their families. I'm certain they would love the opportunity to hear from the President right about now.
  8. mmurray21

mmurray21 Member

184 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So you guys don't recognize that he is joking about the Rush part. You may not think its funny, but he was clearly joking.
  9. ScipioCowboy

15,386 Messages
    2,557 Likes Received
    Have you been paying attention to any of the rhetoric disseminated from the White House over the past few weeks? They've made several prominent and disparaging remarks about Rush Limbaugh.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,431 Messages
    2,175 Likes Received

Maybe we can get Will Ferrell to play Gibbs too. I hear he has some free time on his hands now that W is back in Texas.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,409 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    Using the term "Republican Cabal" is the only thing note worthy in my opinion.

The fact that the Dem's have control right now doesn't mean they should just feel free to start slinging these umbrella terms around just like they didn't want Rep's doing it when they were in control.
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,409 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    The Geico caveman is actually quite eloquent, hence the humor of the commercials. You should have kept searching Google images. ;)
  13. trickblue

29,030 Messages
    437 Likes Received
    Well I figured he would enjoy the language from the old country... ;)
  14. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,497 Messages
    1,494 Likes Received
    i don't understand it. i really don't. they only empower rush more with every attack. if you don't want someone to matter, quit paying attention to them.

i swear the radical left acts like 7 year olds.
  15. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,727 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Team Obama is the thinnest skin administration since Nixon. Their continual whining would have a little more merritt if the Dems did not control everything in DC. They have absolute power to do anything they want. They need to quit crying.
  16. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    You joke with your friends, you denigrate your ideological opponents. It's a natural law of politics older than you and I.

A guffaw accompanying it doesn't change that there is some measure of sincerity in it's delivery.