1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Whitney Mercilus at #14

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Outlaw Heroes, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

2,101 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Does Mercilus at #14 seem like a reach to you? Not to me. I've thought for a while that this guy would shoot up boards as the draft approached. I continue to believe that. Happens every year with these super athletic types that have shown they can rush the passer. The only knock on him, so far as I can tell, is that he was a one-year-wonder. Yep. So was JPP.

Does that mean this guy turns out like JPP? Of course not. But I'm willing to bet that as we get closer and closer to April 26 we'll be hearing whisperings about teams willing to take the chance that he does.

You know what? If Dallas is one of those teams, I'd be ok with that. In fact, I'd probably be pretty happy with it. DeCastro, Ingram, Mercilus. Any one of them would make me happy. Maybe add Poe to the list.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,636 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    I would be ok with Mercilus if Ingram and DeCastro are off the board and we cannot trade back. I value Mercilus and Cox with the same grade but I value OLBs in a 3-4 more than I value DEs in a 3-4. I think we can still get a day one starter 3-4 DE in the 2nd. Mercilus is much better than OLBs that will be in the 2nd round.
    I would much rather trade back and pick up an extra 2nd and draft mercilus then use the 2 2nds on a OG and DE.

1st Mercilus
    2nd Zeitler/Brooks
    2nd Reyes/Crick
    3rd Fleming/Bentley

is a nice draft
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'd prefer Mercillus at 14 to guys including Brockers, Jenkins, and Fitzpatrick. I would not be shocked if Mercillus is picked before our pick either. If other teams deem that Mercillus has more upside than guys like Ingram, he can go top 12.

In fact, my top 4 at 14 include DeCastro, Cox, Ingram, and Mercillus.

With a small trade down, I'm happy with Glenn and Perry as well.

I think it just comes down to whether the Cowboys think he could play OLB in RR's scheme or if they think he is better suited to play DE in a 43. I tend to think he can play OLB in RR scheme given his athletic ability.
  4. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,302 Messages
    1,417 Likes Received
    Boo yea, on that picture Outlaw...that's getting better than a slot machine.:D

I could deal with that outside explosion being released regularly. I hope the excitement hasn't departed from the eyes of the Dallas Scouts, Coaches, and Jason Garrett. I think Jerry already is geared for the ride, so I'm not worrying about that part of the deal...:starspin
  5. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,565 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    We obviously have to do our due diligence on the kid.

If he has good character, a good motor and the proper physical attributes for the position we want him to play he does seem to have the production we are looking for.

My biggest concern for him is his short shuttle time. It was pretty pedestrian at 4.53 and does give me some concern for his ability to be an edge rusher in the pros. His 40 yrd dash at 4.68 was fine as was vertical and broad jump and 3-cone drill.

Melvin Ingram was slightly slower in 40 at 4.78 but had a much better short shuttle at 4.18 and his 3-cone drill was also better by a substantial margin. He also had decent explosion with a 34.5 inch vertical. I think the only thing that holds Ingram back is he is a tich short and has short arms. Of course, Elvis Dumerville has a similar stature and doesn't have Ingram's agility but still has been a very good pass rusher.

The reason I lean towards Ingram is that he seems to offer more versatility as he has shown he can rush the pass, play DE, play DT and drop off into coverage. Unfortunately, it is unlikely he will be on the board when we pick.

In terms of the defensive players who will possibly be on the board I rank them:

Coples
    Ingram
    Cox
    Whitney
    Poe
    Brockers
  6. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Who plays center? Konz or Blake need to be targeted in this draft.
  7. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Blake should be there in the 4th at 27 years old. that's as high as he should go IMO. Plus some people think Bernadaeu may be our Center this year anyway.
  8. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,302 Messages
    1,417 Likes Received
    I'm sorry, I think I would just stay away from Blake, due to projection of returns and short career span that looms now. As we saw in Terence Newman, unless there is a jolting start out of the blocks, that there is a final regret once the end looms ahead in that career.

This offensive unit needs function more than potential at this point of projecting.
  9. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am all for drafting him
  10. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Good post. I like your list. Any one of those guys improve our team substantially.

Aldon Smith who is about the same dimensions as Mercilus from a height, weight, arms standpoint put up 4.5 short shuttle, 4.78 40, and a 7.19 3 cone. Both had 1 great year and flashes in their freshman year. Aldon was hurt some his last year, but you could tell his length and coordination that he would really cause bad tackles problems and good tackles did not do a whole lot better. I'm a big fan of the 3 cone and both put up good 3 cones at 7.19 and 7.17.
  11. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    A good list for defensive players, although I would have to exchange Cox and Poe. If I hadn't actually seen Cox play, I would rank him higher. Unless its JJ Watt, I really don't want a pure 3-4 DE picked this year with #14 and Cox is definitely nowhere close to JJ Watt.

Good chance that Coples, Ingram, and probably Poe will be gone when we pick. Whitney would be an excellent guy to bring in fresh in pass rushing situations for next year til he is ready to take over for Spencer, while Poe and Brockers have potential at NT as TRat gets older.
  12. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,510 Messages
    878 Likes Received
    as the draft gets closer, Mercilus is the player generating the most buzz as he appears to be climbing most teams board...it wouldnt be a surprise to see him selected in the 10-13 range
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,704 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Nope.

I don't think he's a good fit as a 3-4 OLBer on the strong-side. Weakside? I'd consider him, but not on the strong-side.
  14. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    I am starting to believe that Bruce Irvin in the 2nd is a better value that Mercilus in the 1st. Assuming both available at the 'Boys respective picks. Maybe Brockers or Cox at 14.
  15. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,636 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Blake, Jones , or another can be had in the 4th also we have navy, Costa, kills, and the new guy who can all play center. Not saying thats what i want but that's what might happen
  16. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    if we want a pass rusher i'm all for him, if we want a strong side backer for our system then Ronnell Lewis is my guy.

If Rob Ryan cant find a place for a Mercilus or even a Bruce Irvin to rush the passer he should be stoned in public
  17. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,565 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    So many on this board still have this antiquated version of the NFL where the WOLB rushes the passer and the SOLB defends the run and the pass. Maybe that's the way it was in Lawrence Taylor's day but it defeats the whole purpose of the 3-4 where the extra rusher should be able to come from any of the spots but ideally from the OLBs. If the SOLB is not a pass rush threat you have made the offenses job of pass protection much, much easier.

The guy who plays opposite Ware has to be a good pass rusher. He doesn't have to be as good as Ware and Von Miller but he has to be good - much better than Spencer is right now.

So cross Ronnell Lewis, Upshaw and Hightower off the list - they need not apply. The guys who have serious pass rush potential (8-10 sacks per year) are Irvin, McClellin, Whitney and Ingram. This is the group we need to look at and I think they will all be gone by the middle of the second round. If we think none of them are appropriate and we want to wait until next year we should be trading for an extra first rounder so we have more ammunition because we really can't afford to franchise Spencer again. Heck we really can't afford to do it this year but we're doing it anyway.

To all the DeCastro fans - he is not the make-or-break factor for this offense. However, finding a complementary pass rusher is now the make or break issue for this defense. It is a shame we passed on Wimbley but that's the sort of management we have - loves to overpay its own underachievers.

Please let the scouts find us a partner for Ware this year.
  18. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,510 Messages
    878 Likes Received
    What about nick perry?
  19. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,731 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Great post and I completely agree. My top 5 passrushers this draft:

Coples
    Mercilus
    Irvin
    Cox
    Branch

Nick Perry, crazy athleticism, is 6th. He is probably the wild card because he is almost always listed as a 4-3 DE only because his complete lack of instincts in space/coverage.
  20. CarlAllDay

CarlAllDay Active Member

1,835 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Im definitely down for taking this guy. I really think he has a high ceiling and could end up extending Ware's career and be his successor!.. He lead the nation in sacks in a tough conf. And has plenty of potential to be better.