1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who gets cut for Tanney?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cowboyz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. cowboyz

cowboyz Well-Known Member

1,737 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Thought he showed something against the cardinals

Had a pocket presen

More than Magee ever did

On par with Matt Moore

Maybe trade him down the road or replace orton next year

Certainly he's got more vslue than the fifth safety or 10th Olineman
  2. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,972 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    Some say if he goes to the PS, another team will grab him...I am not so sure on that. But, he doesn't give the team a better chance to win than Orton, and, I don't see the Cowboys carrying more than 2 QB's on the 53-man roster.

JJ has to gamble if they want to keep this guy
    Zordon likes this.
  3. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,076 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    I would take the gamble and try to keep him. His a bit rough but so was Romo. When Romo retires maybe he can step in and the team won't skip a beat. He reminds me of Romo actually. Cocky and confident and has good pocket presence. In a few years, he will be a player. He will be nabbed by another team if he is placed onto the practice squad for sure.
  4. Boom31

Boom31 New Member

6 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    he have very incredible accurate throws in his videos, that's one of the principal things what you want for a QB, accuracy, I hope the Cowboys give him a chance, and let him learn like Romo did it in his beginning, it's very interesting to see what he can do, the drive for the td give me hope, i want to see more
  5. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,571 Messages
    687 Likes Received
    Next 2 oreseason games, if he continues to roll, then I'm in favor of keeping him. 1 game isn't enough evidence.
    Idgit likes this.
  6. coblue

coblue Member

374 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Orton. You don't win many games with backup QB in this league anyway. Go with the cheaper, younger, talent that is more similar to your number 1.
  7. Cumart21

Cumart21 Active Member

314 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Regardless of how good Tanney plays and how poorly Orton plays, there's no way the keep Tanney over Orton.
  8. coblue

coblue Member

374 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree - and thats an unoriginal, overly cautious mistake by the team.
  9. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,109 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Sure there is. You just cut Orton. Most back up qbs are just like Tanny, young players without much experience. I would be ok with it .
  10. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Since Stephens didn't see any time against the Cards, I wonder if he will see the bulk of time in the last preseason game? And with next week's game being the dress rehearsal and starters and primary backups going longer, I wonder how much more of Tanney we'll see.
  11. Cumart21

Cumart21 Active Member

314 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Yes they COULD cut Orton but they will choose not to. Garrett was even quoted, saying Orton 'has a great grasp on the offense but made a few poor decisions'. Pretty sure he has a soft spot for a veteran backup quarterback for obvious reasons.
  12. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,427 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Yah lets watch him play the next 2 games before we save him a roster spot.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,557 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    I think most of the better teams have a backup with more than rookie experience.
    I would think he could be the QB3 this year and if he shows promise, maybe advance next year.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,042 Messages
    2,272 Likes Received
    I wouldn't keep him.

Practice Squad guy IMOIMO
  15. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    707 Likes Received
    he is way better than mcgee and i do see early tony romo in him but i dont think we can afford on roster spot ,lets hope he can stay on the PS.
  16. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,373 Messages
    811 Likes Received
    With Albright out for the season won't have to cut anyone extra .
  17. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,958 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    Dallas isn't keeping a third string QB on the 53 man roster, practice squad material...
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,742 Messages
    5,902 Likes Received
    He has been cut by 2 other teams and all teams had the chance to sign him this summer. The Cowboys didn't give him any type of above average money to sign. I think there is a good chance that they can slide him the practice squad.

If they do decide to keep him on the 53 man roster, I would just go with 3 TEs. I don't see the value of keeping Rosario and they can keep Andre Smith on the practice squad. They could probably re-sign Rosario later because I doubt that any other team is going to sign him.
  19. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,598 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    Just a reminder - we thought we could get Matt Moore to the practice squad, too.
    AZ_Cowboys_Fan and Romo2Dez4six like this.
  20. Romo2Dez4six

Romo2Dez4six Touchdown!!!!

2,012 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    and just like Moore, Tanney wll not make it either