1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who gets cut for Tanney?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cowboyz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I don't think Rosario has looked very good at all thus far and would be fine with cutting him.

I like Smith better but might be inclined to keep him on the 53.

I think the spot he takes should be Philip Tanner's spot.

The problem with Tanney to the PS is that QBs are highly valued in this league. Once there is footage out there showing a young QB who can play at this level some team will pounce on him should he hit the waiver wire. This is what happened to us with Matt Moore as a UDFA. He came here as an unheralded UDFA but had a good preseason and then got claimed by the Panthers when we tried to sneak him onto the PS. That was a mistake and it would be a mistake to assume we can get Tanney onto the PS.
  2. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,048 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    Moore just signed a two year contract to backup Tannehill for the Dolphins. He's been in the league since 2007- since we tried to get him to the practice squad. I would argue he looks at least as good right now as Orton, and he has always been better than McGee. If the team finds a prospect, it can always dump the current backup for the prospect, or carry three QB's. I would say having a backup who isn't good enough to start is the rule, not the exception. At least Tanney might develop into a starter, not so for Orton. Like Moore, he's had his chances and has settled in as a backup.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,209 Messages
    3,037 Likes Received
    Does he skin Cows in his spare time?
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,846 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    I agree, I think there is a good chance he gets cut and makes the PS. He is on the old side for an NFL developmental QB, 25-26.
  5. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,218 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    Nobody.

Practice squad guy.
  6. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    Orton won't be cut because they restructured his deal in the off-season, so he's guaranteed money already this season so need to ditch him. There won't be any teams lining up to claim Tanney off waivers like some think, he should make the practice and be able to grow as a player over the next year. A year as a PS QB could do wonders for him.
  7. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,965 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    I hope so, there is something about this kid that catches my eye, of course my eyes aren't always that good because I felt the same about Henson.
  8. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,299 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    The risk is very high in waiving this kid, but the roster is jam full of kids we want to keep (Holloman, Webb, Randle, Beasley, Magee, Selvie, Escobar, Rosario/Smith, Wilcox, Johnson, etc.) and I think we roll the dice here to get him on the PS. May luck be on our side. I like this kid he may have the right ingredients for a starter here one day.
  9. davey999

davey999 Well-Known Member

1,345 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Mistake to cut this guy, IMO.
  10. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,299 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    If he plays well in these next two games it will make the decision much easier. It's like he would become a draft pick at that point, someone you somehow stuff on your roster (like Webb.)
  11. AZ_Cowboys_Fan

AZ_Cowboys_Fan Member

516 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Bingo! If you want Tanney you're not gonna get away with putting him on the PS after the way he played yesterday. If you really like him and feel he has potential then he needs to make the 53. I personally love the kid. He has some things you can't teach.... accuracy, arm strength and pocket presence. I really hope we keep him.
  12. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,819 Messages
    957 Likes Received
    Good thing you guys who say cut Orton aren't the GM. Ever think about the scenario where it's the NFC Championship game and Romo goes down with a concussion and the Cowboys are up by a TD at the start of the 4th quarter? You'd still want Tanney over Orton?
    CopenhagenCowboy likes this.
  13. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,590 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Garrett has usually kept three. McGee was the last cut last year. If Tanney plays that well next time he gets in there, he will be on the 53. I think they will only keep 3 running backs. The battle there is between Tanner and Randle.
  14. Tawney88

Tawney88 Well-Known Member

615 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    No one. The guy is practice squad material.
  15. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,496 Messages
    910 Likes Received
    I agree. We don't need 4 rbs. I like Tanner but he should go to PS. Also 4 TEs is enough. I'd go with 6 wrs to get Armstrong in there plus I'd put tanney on the 53.
  16. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

896 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Normally I would say keep him and develop him on the practice squad, but he's played well enough that I think another team will pooch him away. That makes me wonder what's the point of a practice squad if another team can just snag players away, but that's another issue. In this case I think Tanney has shown enough to be our 3rd QB. The team's gone with 3 QBs before. In fact Romo was a 3rd stringer at one point and he's worked out pretty well. I'm not anointing Tanney as the next Romo or the next Kurt Warner just yet, but I want the team to keep him. There's some chance he could develop into Romo's successor. Again, that's far from a certainty, but it's possible. He may develop into next year's number 2. That in itself is reason enough to keep him. I don't think the practice squad is enough. If we do that, I think he ends up elsewhere.
  17. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,390 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    i doubt we can put Tanner on the PS,he was active for a lot of games.
  18. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,386 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    I wouldn't get too excited about Tanney he's playing mostly against backups and bubble players. He did absolutely nothing in the first 2 games completing under 40% of his passes. I'm not saying he doesn't have some potential but those who want to dump Orton in favor of him as the backup need to slam on the brakes.
  19. Romo2Dez4six

Romo2Dez4six Touchdown!!!!

2,010 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    FYI I was saying that Tanney wouldn't make it to the practice squad lol.. Sounds like you took it as in the league ;)
  20. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,983 Messages
    251 Likes Received
    We'll agree here again.

Orton can be released. He has no future here and I think the reps he's getting could be better used on Stephens, whom I also like and Tanney.