1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who I'd rather have selected than Hitchens

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Aliencowboy, May 21, 2014.

1. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    The reason they were enamored with Shazier is they thought he could also be an edge rusher.
    JoeyBoy718 likes this.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    Interesting. I noticed that Will Smith rushed more often than the average 4-3 LB. It was more middle blitzes, but he didn't shy away from full speed contact with OLinemen.
  3. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,392 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    Would be interesting how we would have played him. I know Denver had their best pass rusher play SLB in a 4-3. Though it's likely we would have had Shazier play WLB.
  4. JoeyBoy718

4,392 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    Don't forget we have Wilber. He was a decent edge rusher at OLB in the 3-4. He even rushed a little at SLB in the 4-3.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    Yes, they gave him some chances to rush from from the SLB spot last season. In some formations that position becomes similar to a 3-4 OLB.
  6. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I think someone here said they quit doin that because it was workin.
  7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,195 Messages
    2,792 Likes Received
    Haha, love the avatar. Chachi, lol.

As for your picks:

No to Thomas
    No to Desir
    No to Vereen
    I liked Louis, but the team clearly wanted more size and toughness than him. Still, I probably would have taken Louis over Hitchens.
    No, no, no to Savage.
    No to Webster.
    I liked Shembo but he isn't as good a LB as Hitchens.
    No to Hart.
    No to Telvin Smith. He's just too light.
    I did Like Yankey too, but we really, really needed LB.

I understand why you would want those guys, but Louis might be the only one I'd take over Hitchens.
    Aliencowboy likes this.
  8. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,195 Messages
    2,792 Likes Received
    They want him to bulk up to that this season? Man that is quick.

I've always kind of felt like you can put on a few pounds each year, but more than about 7 or so is too much and you lose to much speed, movement, athleticism, so to speak.
  9. JoeyBoy718

4,392 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    I thought Wilber did a good job rushing from the SLB position. I guess I could see why they wouldn't do it consistently though. Marinelli has his whole "rush men" philosophy. He gets 95% of his pressure from his front 4. Denver ran a slightly different version of the 4-3. They had their lead rushers at the WDE and SLB positions. Their SDE was a 320+ pound guy who would take up blockers so Von Miller could rush the passer. Kinda like how Seattle would do it with Red Bryant at SDE. But that's what I liked about Rob Ryan. He wasn't afraid to switch it up and hit you with something you weren't expecting. Marinelli seems to be more simplistic and old school. His front 4 rush, his LBers chase down and make tackles, and his secondary plays zone.
    theSHOW likes this.
  10. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I figured there was some kinda draw back to having Wilbur over there too much like teams just audibling to a screen to that side. I liked some of the stuff Ryan did too, I'd like to know the inside story on why he was fired. I think he pissed someone off.
  11. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Funny, the Black Mamba would have been my choice.

Aliencowboy likes this.
  12. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I think he would have been a good choice instead of Randle last year if that was possible but after another year of signing other teams cast offs to play defense in December I don't know if they had a choice to pick anything other than defensive depth. I think Carter put an extra scare into em with his issues, his future is a little more fuzzy this year than it was last year too. Anthony is a burner, it's hard to believe Snoop Dog has run a pop warner league long enough for players to be gettin into the NFL now.
  13. bodi

bodi Active Member

725 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    SHOULDA WOULDA COULDA

MEANING LESS POST

WHY REHASH THINGS

WE KNOW NOTHING OF HOW ANY OF THESE GUYS WILL TURN OUT

MAYBE WE GOT ANOTHER ALL PRO - MAYBE A BUST
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,675 Messages
    9,902 Likes Received
    Hey, it's cool guys. Our entire war room was smiling.
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,598 Messages
    2,476 Likes Received
    Hey guys its not cool. Risen Star has more snark and no substance to his takes.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,675 Messages
    9,902 Likes Received
    There's too many to list.

To draft a backup/special teams player in the 4th round is just awful value.
  17. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    interesting view
  18. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

611 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Disagree. Watch him. He is talented in his blocks coming and getting to the second level and has the movement and could play guard in ZBS. We still have no depth at OG and LG is now still weak.
  19. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,782 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    For me, if you were to replace the Hitchens pick with Telvin Smith, I'd have given our draft an A+. I hated giving up a 3rd to move up but I get that Lawrence was the last real 4-3 edge rusher. I felt Will Smith was a bit of a reach but you can take those kinds of shots in the 7th round. The Hitchens pick baffles me.

Time will tell but we've been pretty bad in the 4th round more times than not the last few years.
    Floaty likes this.
  20. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,195 Messages
    2,792 Likes Received
    Hey, at least you're taking a wait and see attitude. That's all anyone can ask.

What I don't like is when people condemn the player before he's ever played a down for the team, acting like they know for a fact that the guy is gonna suck.

Just about every UDFA who ever played well wasn't expected to be much of anything. Romo, Austin, Victor Cruz, and many others all played way better than anyone thought.