1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Who is your all time favorite TE that played for the Cowboys?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Big Country, Jul 1, 2006.

1. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,050 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I'm very partial to Bill Joe DuPree and I liked Novachek a lot. But I'll always like the current starter best. So I'd have to throw my hat into the ring for Jason Witten.

David.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Benched

42,886 Messages
    2,400 Likes Received
    Ditka was a wild man- if you thought he was something else as a coach with us then with the Bears you should have seen him as a player. Great hands, always made the tough catches, and was a devastating blocker. He was a key man in the 71 championship team, especially in the playoffs and SB.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and brew... Staff Member

21,602 Messages
    2,344 Likes Received
    Agreed.....
  4. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    What, no Pettis Norman???:D
  5. coach316

coach316 Member

630 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My first choice wasn't on the list - Jay Saldi

So I went with one of my favorite current players - Jason Witten
  6. parchy

parchy Active Member

2,252 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    How you leave Pettis Norman off that list is beyond me. He would have gotten my vote.
  7. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,053 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    It is a strong position, but Witten would be the pick if I were forced to choose.
  8. jasonwitten82

jasonwitten82 Member

320 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No David LaFluer?:rolleyes:
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

56,042 Messages
    8,545 Likes Received
    Draft: 1997 - 1st round (22nd pick) by the Dallas Cowboys
    In 4 years his career stats......85 for 729 yards and 12 td's.
    :mad: :mad: :mad:
  10. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun... Zone Supporter

27,403 Messages
    2,361 Likes Received
    This draft pick you cannot blame on JJ...this is who Aikman wanted...:confused:

And, if my memory is right...the Boyz could have got Gonzales? :eek:

:star:
  11. scottsp

scottsp Well-Known Member

2,313 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    Tiji Armstrong, for sure. Actually, I loved DuPree.

Cosbie was to Danny White what Novacek was to Troy. He always looked to Doug on 3rd and 6, it seemed. Great hands.
  12. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received

LaFluer wasn't a complete bust (he had a number of very productive games), but he was a big disappointment. But hey, he had Troy's seal of approval, so we drafted him.
  13. jasonwitten82

jasonwitten82 Member

320 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was being sarcastic on that David LaFluer coment :rolleyes:
  14. Cogan

Cogan Well-Known Member

1,523 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Jay Novacek, hands down! When Troy Aikman told the press he would quit the same day Novacek retired, he was only half kidding. The guy did it all as a TE. He ran incredibly precise routes, had the best hands on the team, and could always be counted on to get open when we needed a first down.

I remember in the first Bills Super Bowl, XXVII, he got into a wrestling match with a Bills LB. Novacek just stopped dead in his tracks, & the guy flew over Jay's back. He spun around just in time to catch Aikman's pass--first down!

Aikman often mentioned Novacek's blocking ability. Even though he was thin & gangly for a TE, Jay had an uncanny ability to get himself between whoever he was blocking & the RB. Same game against the Bills, and Novacek's in motion, right to left. At the snap, he puts himself in front of a LB, w/a safety positioned outside the LB. He caused the SS to run into the LB, then he rode them both about ten yards away from the play. Emmitt ran right past them for a huge gain. I think that same LB finally made the play, but it was like 15 yds. from the LOS.

Novacek often looked gawky at what he was doing, but he got the job done better than any Cowboy TE I've ever seen.

I love Jason Witten, & he came in a close second. As soon as he learns to do more w/the ball after the catch, and scores more TDs w/the chances he gets, then he will pass Novacek. Not until.
  15. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I would vote for Doug Cosbie.

If he would have gotten to play with Roger or Troy and been on better teams, he would probably lead this poll.
  16. Manster68

Manster68 Well-Known Member

1,692 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Billy Joe DuPree was much better than what he gets credit for. He converted many third downs for Staubach.
  17. Big Country

Big Country Rolling Thunder

3,716 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Gonzales went at 13 to KC in 1997... LaFleur was picked at 22 the same year... Troy went with LaFleur because hell, he couldn't have Gonzales... Dallas had no trade ammo to pick up draft spots... Troy, Emmitt, Irvin, Deion S., Kevin Smith, were all being paid big bucks... no way to trade up and do anything. The rest is history... Gonzales is a future hall of famer hanging out in the off-season before TC... LaFleur is frog gigging in a swamp somewhere.
  18. Da Hammer

Da Hammer The Natural

10,604 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jay Novacek because he was a key part along with many others of one of the greatest Dynastys in sports history. He was just $$$ on 3rd down. Although when we win the Super Bowl this year it will probably change to Jason Witten :cool:
  19. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I will have to go with Jay.

With Jackie Smith a close second, unfortunately he'll always be remebered for the dropped pass in the SB, but thats one of the few drops I ever saw him make, he was sure handed usually and a perfect fit for the boys at the time.

Whitten although I believe he'll be a geat TE, I cant vote for him yet, he's third on my list now but give me a couple years and he'll move up i'm sure
  20. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

29,389 Messages
    2,907 Likes Received
    [IMG]

I haven't seen a lead this big since Seabiscuit...