1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who is your favorite actor and/or actress and why?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by TheCount, Jun 25, 2009.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    I've got two actually:

[IMG]

Daniel Day Lewis

and

[IMG]

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Neither of these guys know how to make a bad movie. Both are extremely versatile and stay away from the usual Hollywood BS. Seymore especially doesnt get a lot of hype because he doesn't necessarily look like a movie star, but dude can act his *** off.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,342 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    Harrison Ford though he is getting old and isn't what he used to be. The guy just made great movies. Starwars, Indiana Jones, Airforce One, even in that chick flick Sabrina he was good. Loads more movies.

Runners up: Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglas
  3. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,435 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Don Cheadle

[IMG]

Kimberly Elise

Whether they are playing small or leading (which have been rare unfortunately) roles, both actors deliver performances which touch my heart practically every time. They seem to always play roles which are utterly human and true on screen. They aren't the best actors in my opinion, but they are my personal faves.

[EDIT!!!]

[IMG]

Ellen Page

She has quickly become my personal favorite young actor. I see her career track being similar to what Jodie Foster's was. Smart, witty and cute. I had thought that Dakota Fanning would've become the next big child star who would transition to (long-term) big adult roles, but now I feel it will be Page instead.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Don Cheadle's a good one, I'm interested in seeing how he does in Ironman 2. I like Terrance Howard too, but he didn't really do much with the character, whether it was by design or not.

I've also always liked Forest Whitaker, although he's been in some questionable movies.
  5. Sam I Am

31,342 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    I was a big Forest Whitaker fan awhile back. Not so much over the last few years. I really liked him in Good Morning Vietnam.
  6. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,291 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received

I agree with just about the whole list thus far.

Forest was great in The Last King of Scotland.

Add for me:

James Earl Jones - commanding presence
    Deniro, Pacino - see above
    Meryl Streep - can do anything
    Vivica Fox - just because
    Roselyn Sanchez - see above
    Tom Cruise - no hate here - "he has just got it" no wait, he "took" it
    Denzel - although in some movies he over-acts, still a big fan
  7. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Al Pacino is the greatest actor of our time, it ain't even close...
  8. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I really like Phillip Seymour Hoffman, because you totally buy into whatever he's doing.

Clint Eastwood because he brings a ruggedness to whatever he's in.

Gene Hackman. He can just flat out play anything.
  9. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    I really like Ed Norton. he seems to really get into his roles.
  10. Sam I Am

31,342 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    Eastwood and Hackman are always great. Especially when they play in the same movie. Unforgiven being one!

I really liked Hoffman in Charlie Wilson's War. From the movies I remember with him, he always seems to play the same part though. Almost Famous, Wilsons War. Usually a scrubby dude who is intelligent. (I've only seen a few of his movies)
  11. Sam I Am

31,342 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    I like Al Pacino. He has made several great films, but I think you're going a bit overboard calling him the greatest actor of our time.
  12. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,291 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received

True. He has acted in some of the greatest films ever made.
    He has acted the greatest in those films.

But he is not the greatest of all time. In the top 10 for sure. He has had some clunkers and similar "yelling/acting" parts in different movies.

What ever happened to that nice quiet Michael Corleone, the man of few words, rarely got aggravated. Didnt want to get mixed up family business etc?

:laugh2:
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    I love Pacino but he's become a characriture of himself.
  14. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't...

Just watch the scene from Heat, where the young hooker that Waingrove murdered is found, and the girl's mother comes on the scene... not a word is spoken, it's all done with their eyes, and it's beyond gripping... you feel the horror, down to your soul...

I could give you literally dozens of examples just like that... "I have so many NAMES"... the dance scene in "Scent of a Woman"... "Attica! Attica! Attica!"...

Even bad movies are good when Pacino's in them...

I like lots of other actors, Gene Hackman can play a bad guy or a good guy equally well, Morgan Freeman always brings dignity to any role he plays... I don't really care for DeNiro, to me all his roles, even his comedies, are basically the same character...

And I'll tell you what, Robin Williams is an extremely underrated actor... I'd like to see him do more dramas...

But none of them comes close to Pacino...

Not even Chuck Norris... :D
  15. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,612 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    Christian Bale, when he's not starting in big movies, is an incredible actor.
  16. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Heat was an awesome, awesome movie. Pacino and DeNiro just nailed their roles, Kilmer was pretty good as well.
  17. MrMom

MrMom Well-Known Member

1,608 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Since a lot of the big names have already been dropped I'll go with one of my underrated favorites. Joseph Gordon Levitt. It makes me sad to see him take on G.I. Joe later this summer, but 500 Days of Summer should redeem him.
  18. Sam I Am

31,342 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    What? No Jon Lovitz?!?!?! You *******!

[IMG]
  19. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,103 Messages
    1,335 Likes Received
    Currently, I'd say James McAvoy. Dude's good.

DDL is probably the best out there right now, but I couldn't say he's my "favorite" as he's typically not that endearing as an actor (though his roles typically aren't intended to be).

PSH is great fun to watch, but does tend to fall back into his typical acting style.
  20. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,279 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    Jamie Foxx is an excellent actor.

Will Smith is very good and vastly underrated, largely because he's done a number of summer blockbusters.

And, as much I dislike his insufferable ego and naivety, Sean Penn is an awesome actor.