1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who isn't giving up on the season?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Nov 26, 2012.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,459 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    Blind homerism was never part of the equation.

A person can see the problems with this team and still hang on to the outside chance that somehow, someway the team will come through.

I don't think anyone is proclaiming that Dallas is going to win a Super Bowl. Some of us are merely looking at the road ahead and saying there's still a chance, there's still a shot and I won't stop hoping for it to happen until there's no shot left.

Others have moved on to next season. They might be what the term fan has become, but they are not fanatics for the Dallas Cowboys.

BTW, I did this to find out who like me is still pulling beyond hope for Dallas to make the playoffs, compared to those who have completely given up. I think I've found out more about those who have given up, and how it seems to bother them that they are not fanatics.
  2. gimmesix

9,459 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    Some have a hard problem understanding that.
  3. DABOYZ

DABOYZ Active Member

705 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I am definitely not a fanatic by your definition or interpretation. I actually get annoyed when the team is down 21 and players on the sidelines are smiling as if they were up 21.
  4. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,940 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    If the Led Zeppelin guys aren't giving up, than I'm certainly not going to! :yourock:
  5. gimmesix

9,459 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    I think people are getting the choice to hold on to hope, to unreasonably pull for the team even when the odds are strongly against it, confused with having to like everything about what's happening to/with the team.

Being critical is different from giving up. And it's fairly easy to distinguish those who are critical from those who have waved the white flag and are just watching Dallas now to see what draft pick it gets or if Garrett gets fired, or what disaster might happen next, etc.
  6. gimmesix

9,459 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    I agree with you. Even if Dallas is mathematically eliminated, I could never pull for the Cowboys to lose to secure better draft positioning, etc.
  7. gimmesix

9,459 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    OK, for those whose feelings I apparently hurt by questioning your fanaticism, by using the dictionary definition of it, forget I mentioned that.

Stick to the question: Have you given up on Dallas making the playoffs this season?

I did not intend to start a debate about who's a fan and who isn't. My goal was to find out who's still clinging to hope while there is a mathematically chance of Dallas making the playoffs.

I was hoping that this would be a positive thread, and I do appreciate all those who have made it clear that they haven't given up on the possibility.
  8. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Well-Known Member

1,249 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    I'm not giving up, i know our chances are pretty slim....but that won't stop me from cheering them on and hoping for the best.
  9. utrunner07

utrunner07 Well-Known Member

9,075 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I think you can be a fanatic without having to be stupid. You should title this thread who still holds out unrealistic very unlikely hopes that this team will sneak in to the playoffs.
  10. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,908 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    I think the chances are very small. You can talk about how weak the division/conference is all you want, but the fact is that our team has played poorly since the 2nd game of the season and there is nothing to suggest that we are going to "turn it around" in the blink of an eye.
  11. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,888 Messages
    1,871 Likes Received
    I'm not...still mathematically alive....never give up, stranger things have happened to 5-6 teams.....didn't the Steelers win it all from a 5-6 record one time not too long ago.

I don't want to hear or read...
    I'm the realist, I'm being practical....blah, blah, blah....that's a lame excuse, or you're just trying to be PC in terms of being a FAN...a FAN should never give up....

Yes the team lost many players to injuries....but so have other teams. so let's see what happens, and if we are eliminated [I know the comments will be when we are from the negatives] then we can speculate about the off season.
  12. gimmesix

9,459 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    What I see is that the team still is in the playoff pursuit even though the odds are against it because of inconsistent play, injuries, etc.

What I see is that this team has the ability to beat every team that remains on its schedule, even with the inconsistent play, injuries, etc. Having the ability doesn't necessarily mean it will, simply that it can and if it does, and possibly even if it loses one more game, it will make the playoffs. And if it makes the playoffs, it's only a few steps away from the Super Bowl, even if the odds are against it.

My hope is that it will, and I cling to that. I refuse to wave the white flag on a game or a season until it's over.

It's kind of like that Washington game Thursday. I clung to the hope that Dallas would come back and win the game until the onside kick was secured by the Redskins. We have other Dallas Cowboys fans at my office who had given up on the game, but I can't bring myself to ever do that. (My wife doesn't understand that, especially when the "inevitable" outcome happens and I'm disappointed by it.)

That doesn't make me some kind of special fan (and I never meant to indicate that), it's just the type of fan that I am. And with this thread, I was merely seeking for those who feel the same way to speak up.
  13. gimmesix

9,459 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    Definitely, I don't think I've seen a post in this thread where anyone has stated emphatically that Dallas is going to make the playoffs.

It's more about the hopeful and the hopeless. :)
  14. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    You asked a question on an opinion based forum and told people to stop posting when they had opposing views
  15. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,704 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Excellent post!!!!
  16. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,267 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    I'm still in it to win it, not going down without a fight
  17. gimmesix

9,459 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    That's because I didn't feel this thread was the place for opposing viewpoints.

I asked the question, "Who isn't giving up on the season?" By nature of it, if you didn't respond, then I would assume you have an opposing view. I was trying to rally the troops, so to speak, not incite the dissenters. (And again, I apologize if my use of the word "fanatic" did that.)

I guess I don't understand why some people feel the need to offer an opposing view in a thread where it's not necessary or even warranted. I mean, if people want to debate their opposing views, there are plenty of threads on this forum that are just asking for it.

But again, this isn't what the thread is about. It's simply about "uniting" those who are holding on to hope that Dallas can make the playoffs.
  18. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I haven't. Until we get the 7th loss, I'm all in.
  19. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,730 Messages
    1,942 Likes Received
    I've given up on this franchise. It's been over for nearly 17 years. When I see a real QB come through here, and a real coach, then and only then will I believe in this team.
  20. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I will still watch every game and cheer for my team. However,the time for this feel good ra ra ra bs has passed. We are in hell fellas I'm not sure it will ever change.