1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who Should The Cowboys Pick and Who Will The Cowboys Pick

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by fanfromvirginia, Apr 6, 2012.

1. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I'd like to take an informal survey of CZ posters. For both questions -- who should the Cowboys take with their first pick and who will the Cowboys take with their first selection -- please list your top three, in order. I will track the answers and periodically update this thread. I want to see how good as a biased but fairly knowledgeable crowd at predicting (that's the 'will' question) we are as well as who we collectively want and in what order. We've been discussing that in a multitude of threads for quite some time so it might be good to systematically gauge those opinions.

I'm planning on doing this twice -- now and once just a day or two before the draft -- to track how this changes. I want to do it as systematically as possible so I'm only accepting the top three. You can write in as many as you want -- it was really hard for me to get either list down to just three. But I'm only counting the top three. I'll assign three points for first, two for second and one for third. You can say whatever you want in your post but please just give me a clean list up top as that will be easier to track. Same thing with the circumstances -- I think a lot of people are expecting or supporting trades of all sorts. You can explain below the list if you want but please gimme the names in the list. Note that I say the 'first selection' rather than the first round. If you've got, for example, the Cowboys trading all the way down to the 35th selection and grabbing Konz or Shea M, that counts as the first selection. And you can tell us, yet again, who you definitely don't want, if you really feel the need, but that shouldn't be in the lists and won't be counted.

I'll go first. Here are my lists:

Will Select:
    1. Barron
    2. Konz
    3. DeCastro
    Should Select:
    1. DeCastro
    2. Barron
    3. Konz
    My FWIW explanation: I think they could grab Barron at 14 or in a trade down. I think Konz would only be in a trade down and DeCastro would almost have to be at 14. Tons of other guys and scenarios I would be perfectly happy with but those are my top three 'shoulds'. And there is an almost unlimited number of scenarios for what they could do, some or even many of which would leave me anywhere from unimpressed to downright angry.

On edit: Your lists obviously don't have to include the same players. Mine did but that wasn't intentional.
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,273 Messages
    541 Likes Received
    Will select:

Barron
    Cox
    Konz

Should:

Cox
    Barron
    Gilmore
  3. strongbomb3

strongbomb3 New Member

160 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the cowboys should and will select mark barron. This would be awesome for mr because im a crimson tide fan
  4. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,830 Messages
    1,601 Likes Received
    Should select:

Barron
    Mercilus
    Fidel

Will select:

Poe :facepalm:
    Barron
    Fidel
  5. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I like Cox and Gilmore as well. Cox would have been my 4th or 5th.
  6. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    DeCastro if he's available.
  7. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    That's your 'should' pick I take it.
  8. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If DeCastro and Barron are gone, we trade down and keep trading down to the end of the first round. Picking up another first for next year and maybe an extra second rounder next year. Jerry hasn't done a lot of trading in the last few drafts and I think he is starting to get hives from not doing it.

Decastro is a should pick.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    JMO but we trade down.
  10. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I appreciate the input. What's going in the record is DeCastro as your #1 'should' and nothing else until otherwise notified.
  11. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Just realized I should have put this in the Draft Zone. Maybe the mods could move it? Sorry about that.
  12. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,104 Messages
    1,343 Likes Received
    The first round is stacked with talent this year. Would be mind bogglingly stupid to trade completely out of the first round.
  13. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Should select DeCastro but will select Cox. If both are gone they will take Barron or Hightower.
  14. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    This! If anything, move down a few spots.
  15. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I don't see them trading out of the first round. I was just setting up the ground rules. I could, however, see them trading down several spots, or even down toward the bottom of the round. Your 3rd 'will', for example is Hightower. He very likely (though not definitely) could be had in the 20s.
  16. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received
    if Decastro is there take him, if not drop down a few spots and try to pick up an extra second or third, dont get cute!!!!!!!!!!!!

Safe safe safe picks or if you are really comfortable with the team, package your picks and take 2 or 3 guys from the draft and call it a weekend.

Is the draft going to keep that crazy schedule or did reasonable minds out it back?
  17. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,487 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Will pick DeCastro or Barron.

Should pick Cox, Coples, or Gilmore.

Should absolutely stay away from Konz unless it's in round 2.
  18. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Question since it is possible if Melvin Ingram falls to 14 do we take him

I say yes I know there are some Height and arm length concerns
  19. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I'm recording them in that order unless I hear otherwise.
  20. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I'm putting him down as your first choice unless you let me know otherwise.