1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who thinks we franchise Spencer this weekend?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,094 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Pretty much agree with this (tag and trade), except if we don't get any bites maybe pull the tag or cut him before the season starts, if that is allowed?
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Assuming we restructure Ratliff, Scandrick, etc. and we have the short-term cap room,

I would tag Spencer for 1 more year.

Then, I continue to try and work out a longer term deal and also look to see if I can get something for him in a trade that makes sense.

I think if we restructure the guys discussed above, plus deal with Connor and Free, that choice will be available to us.

I wonder if the Cowboys have given Free an ultimatum similar to Connor?
  3. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,532 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    The only FAs I would spend any big money on are Andre Smith the OL in Cincy and Mike Wallace. Now that it appears Austin is staying, that eliminates Wallace.
  4. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

783 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Spencers's replacement won't come from free agency
    Its coming from this years draft as probably their #1 draft pick.
  5. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,110 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Yeah, why didn't you read the entire thread????? So please, just STOP... The thing is I see franchising him as a way of putting a band-aid on at least 1 position for the year so it allows you to focus in on addressing areas such as DT/S/G/T in the draft. 2012 Spencer was the best player on defense & came through in the clutch time after time down the stretch & had a solid 2011 season as well. Spencer is durable and you can count on him being out there down after down & he has proven to play his butt off the past 2 years on a 1 year deal.
  6. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,876 Messages
    385 Likes Received
    there is another option. you could sign him which is much cheaper
  7. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,535 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    I am in total agreement for the tag and trade, we can't let valuable assets walk with no compensation...
  8. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,876 Messages
    385 Likes Received
    if the [position was only about sacks. the do have about the same number of sacks over the last 3 year, not so close over their careers.l but a ton less tackles. is tackles not important also? i mean you give up over half the tackles form the position
  9. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

866 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    The bears defense was 3 times better than ours. Marrinelli can coach him up and we don't have to spend ourselves into bankruptcy. We can't afford to have all pros at every position. The LB's will make the tackles in the 4-3 so lets just get him and let Spencer go. If he goes we will probaly get a 3rd round pick for him depending on contract he gets.
  10. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,520 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    What about Crawford?
  11. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

2,003 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    Bingo...we have a winner....this is an area the Cowboys truly SUCK at....and need to improve at...Jerry Jones has no poker face when it comes to trading players...the entire NFL knows the Cowboys cant afford Spencer or will release other players....while other teams IE the Bengals, Patriots are able to get high draft picks for aging players..ALA Carson Palmer, Richard Seymore and others.... Yes the Cowboys will trade but they are always on the losing end....ALA Roy Williams or Joey Gallaway trades.....

Need to get the GM busy making deals for old worn out players instead of releasing them for nothing....

Bottom line: the GM gets to attached to his players, loyalty is great but Championships are BETTER
  12. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    He's 29 and about to head downhill. It's happening rapidly with Ware, too. Ratliff's big contract that Jerry gave him at an advanced age.

Just don't commit years to him. Franchise, trade, or let him walk...I'm fine with it.
  13. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,899 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Rather have Michael Johnson from the Bengals. If we are going to spend big money on an DE, it might as well be on a legit 4-3 DE.
  14. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think the Bengals said they were going franchise him.
  15. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,899 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Then I'll take Andre Smith, thank you very much.
  16. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    Somebody in this thread said Carr is better than spencer. And better than him last year too!!!

Hahahahahahaha

Thanks for the laugh
  17. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,410 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    If we can't reach a new deal with Spencer, I would draft his replacement at 18 and sign a G like Levitre, Vasquez or Thomas. Maybe sign a DT like Glenn Dorsey or someone similar. I would then address S, OLB and RB in the rest of the draft.
  18. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,103 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    Does anybody think that paying a good player a premium price (Franchise Tag) a good idea? I don't... If he doesn't sign a fair contract let him go or better yet trade him..
  19. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
  20. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,110 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I do think he is more valuable than signing a couple mid-tier FA's, but if you don't want him back then I agree with the others when it comes to the tag&trade.. I am thinking we would at least get a 3 for him, would be nice if it was a 2.