1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why are we not all over this guy, Danny Watkins?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Pokes12, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Pokes12

Pokes12 Active Member

462 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Patriots Intrigued By Danny Watkins

[IMG]Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
    Watkins (center) during his time with the Eagles.

The New England Patriots would love to solidify their offensive line, especially since the team boasts a mediocre receiving corps at best and projects to be focusing heavily on the running game in 2013.

One player that the Pats are currently exploring to shore up that line is Danny Watkins, as per NFL.com’s Jason La Canfora.

The Canadian native was selected No. 23 overall in the 2011 draft, but never panned out as a right guard along the Philadelphia Eagles front. He was released on Saturday after a tumultuous tenure with the club.

New England is no stranger to reclamation projects and has often taken chances on cast-offs from other teams. The 28-year-old has been playing organized football for less than seven years and didn’t come near his ceiling during his two seasons with Philly.

If head coach Bill Belichick is willing to give him a chance at left guard, Watkins could pay dividends on a low-risk investment.
  2. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,423 Messages
    287 Likes Received
    Pats kick a lot of tires, you only really here about the good ones. Remember Albert Haynesworth and Torry Holt being Patsys?
  3. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,098 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    I live in Philly and I can tell you, that he doesn't really like playing football and he is no better than anyone we have on the roster today. Like Bell, Watkins did nothing in Philly to even waste our time signing him. There is a reason that both Watkins and Bell are not in playing for Philly, they are just JAGs.
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,939 Messages
    3,389 Likes Received
    There are 3o other teams who could be all over him, but there aren't. Ever think about why there aren't?
  5. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    On top if everything else it appears he has some sort of reoccurring ankle injury.
  6. Cumart21

Cumart21 Active Member

275 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Just because the Pats are looking into the possibility, doesn't mean the guy can play. See Tim Tebow....
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,769 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    When first thinking about posting a question like this, ask yourself 'why was he cut?' Then you may get your answer without even having to ask here.

YR
  8. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,006 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    What would Mickey Say?
    Nav22, CowboysYanksLakers and JonJon like this.
  9. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I think a Tackle is more an interest right now. Right?
    Pokes12 likes this.
  10. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,113 Messages
    379 Likes Received
    Tackle, Guard and defensive tackle are all high interests right now for this team
    jobberone likes this.
  11. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    CB,too.... I hope, not convinced Webb is a great option as your #4 in a pass happy NFL
    jobberone likes this.
  12. Pokes12

Pokes12 Active Member

462 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    I would indeed. But we need more 7 th rounders, no?
    iceman117 likes this.
  13. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,012 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    He's not that good????
  14. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    lol, i don't have a huge problem with them stock piling late round picks for guys they picked up off the scrap heap or guys they planned on cutting anyway but kept them to just to trade for picks... for example trading Rosario for a 7th rounder opens a spot on the roster I hope they give to Sterling Moore, I really like him and would like to see him back, he adds much needed depth at corner, I see him as the 4th corner until Webb is really ready. Moore can also play a little safety in an emergency situation which I think will be important because Church hasn't proved to be the healthiest guy in the world and every other safety on the roster is a question mark IMO. Then I would like to see them cut Weems and get a veteran swing tackle, Matt Starks I believe is the best option (if he hasn't gotten picked up yet) I think those two moves add some much needed depth while they added some extra draft picks which you never know they could turn out to be something later but it's fairly low risk/ high reward even if those picks turn out to be nothing.

lol, my long winded response
  15. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,587 Messages
    1,063 Likes Received
    Ochostinko and Tim Tebowdown too
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,992 Messages
    4,848 Likes Received
    I've heard the guy hangs out in Firestations when not playing football. Which means his heart's not in it, and he's also kind of weird.
  17. ClarenceDarrow

ClarenceDarrow Member

44 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    He was drafted in the first round two years ago and was just cut from his team. He's probably terrible and it looks like just about everybody knows it.
  18. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,253 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    How people miss this is beyond me
    CowboysYanksLakers likes this.
  19. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,065 Messages
    1,058 Likes Received

Rumor has it, he cant play.
    CowboysYanksLakers likes this.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,762 Messages
    754 Likes Received
    Wasn't he a fireman before he got drafted? Every fireman I've ever known would rather be at the station than just about anywhere else, they are an interesting bunch.

As far as the OP, I liked Watkins coming out but he always seemed like a bit of a project. I wouldn't have drafted him in the first, but let's be real, we should be scoping all of these guys out at this point. I'm sure the staff has looked into what he could offer the team, but then again, this is also the same team that drafted one offensive lineman and no defensive linemen in a draft rife with them.