1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why Barron ?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jnday, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I have been away from the board for a while and haven't read much draft news . I am surprised to see Mark Barron as a potential pick at 14 . What has happened ? It was only a month ago that Barron was a second round prospect . Is there some new game film or combine numbers pushing him up draft boards ? No, it isn't . Looks like people are thinking that the top safety in this very poor class will be some big improvement . Barron just doesn't stink as bad as the other safety prospects . This doesn't translate to him being a legit first round talent . Barron can not cover the deep pass . Is this really the safety that the Cowboys need in todays pass-happy NFL ? I have read that he would have been graded between Allen and Burnett in the 2010 draft class , well behind Thomas and Berry . Let's face it , this is not the second coming of Ed Reed . Nothing has changed with Barron . Why the love ? What has changed ?
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,552 Messages
    1,417 Likes Received
    Apparently the words of Nick Saban.
  3. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,133 Messages
    659 Likes Received
    I have my reservations,we should be really looking for a FS and not a strong safety.
  4. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Does a guy have to be the second coming of Ed Reed to be worth a first round pick?

What makes you say that he can't cover the deep pass? I've seen him do just that in college.
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,355 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    i challenge anyone to find a more ludicrous draft myth than "player x will be overdrafted bc the rest of the safety class absolutely sucks"...

yeah, teams reach on players that arent good because the rest of the class sucks too..
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,001 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    Good coverage ability, good ball skills, smart, athletic, good tackler, can play single high free safety or in the box strong safety.

He's basically everything you want in a safety and it's a position of need. That = no brainer.

PS, no one thought Ed Reed was the first coming of Ed Reed when he was in college.
  7. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fixed it for ya.
  8. jswalker1981

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This. I would love to get DeCastro, but I can't imagine us taking him with us signing two guards and drafting two last year. Barron fills a need that we've been putting a band-aid for years now. First it was Hamlin, thought we figured it then, but he was a flash in the pan. Went with Anthony Ball, failed. Went with Abe Elam, got better, but still not good. Now we have Brodney Pool. Probably better than Elam, but still not good. Barron will fix that.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I have seen him burnt on the deep pass in college and I have missed only two Bama games in the last couple of years . Barron may not be an Ed Reed , but IMO a first round pick at safety should have above average coverage skills . Barron doesn't .
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I would like a long term solution to the safety position myself , but Barron is nothing more than average in coverage and most of his faults were covered up by a great Bama passrush . At 14 , does average pass coverage look appealing ?
  11. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    Barron's coverage skills are more than adequate. He doesnt excel at it, but he won't hurt you. His tackling ability and instincts are what makes him stand out. So no, he's not the 2nd coming of Ed Reed but I think Adrian Wilson would be a good comparison for Barrons potential.
  12. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,649 Messages
    305 Likes Received
    Alan..
  13. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,649 Messages
    305 Likes Received
    If it were pick 14 in the 2nd I would be ok with him not having great coverage skills.
  14. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,976 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    Show us where he got burned many of those times you speak of so badly.

If anything it's Dre Kirkpatrick who was helped by the pass rush you talk about and I see many plays where Barron comes out of know where to snag a pick on a jump ball Kirkpatrick may have lost 1 on 1 with the WR.

He's a safety, not a corner. Remember that.

He has to be able to support the run, blitz the QB from time to time, break up passes and cover the back end of the LB's and DB's.

Barron does it all and I don't get what people are expecting from safeties now adays.

If we're looking for 4th, 5th and 6th corners put them out there and watch the oppositions o-line, TE's, FB's and running backs punish them in the run game.

Barron's the type of player that does not have to come off the field, is always where the ball is and impacts each play.
  15. jswalker1981

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    See how forgettable he was?!
  16. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    Not every safety needs to have great coverage skills. Guys like Adrian Wilson and Troy Polumalu have made great livings not having superior coverage skills while still having a huge impact on their defenses.
  17. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,370 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Everything I've read and heard contradicts "good coverage ability" and "can play single high safety"...however, everyone says he's smart and has good ball skills, which means he can catch it, and "in the box".
  18. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,370 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Exactly....but they are in the box safeties, where Sensy excels, who was just resigned...we need a safety who can cover a slot receiver from time to time and play the deep patrol. Who is going to play deep center field, Sensy or Barron?

If Barron, you take him away from what he does best, IMO.

I believe signing Poole tells you the type of safety we're looking for, a guy who excels in coverage.
  19. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,001 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    You're reading the wrong sources then.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,950 Messages
    9,035 Likes Received
    This just in - Gerald Sensabaugh excels playing in the box.

What a physical presence he is. We're lucky to have him.