1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why is China pouring so much money into their military?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Jon88, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Are they expecting some kind of showdown vs. the US in the future? What would be the point of investing so much into your military when you could be investing in other things to better your country? They have their share of problems like heavy pollution and plenty of uneducated workers. I just don't quite get it.
  2. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They're trying to become a superpower and that requires a strong military?
  3. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    When have they NOT spent tons on their military? Their military spending has been had double-digit increases year over year for 10-20 years now. Which oddly enough coincides with their rise as an economic powerhouse. More money ya got, more money to spend on the army.
  4. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,235 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    Bingo..........I think we have a winner!!!
  5. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why does that require a strong military?
  6. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So they can overpower whoever they want.
  7. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A strong military is the best bargaining chip that a nation has.
  8. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's why I think we might be headed toward a major confrontation.
  9. Royal Laegotti

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe, the whole world's just a mess with all that going on. Iran and their nuke's come to the forefront of my mind aswell.
  10. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's just like the old saying "The best offense is a good defense". If you have enough power, no one can/will **** with you.
  11. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,571 Messages
    1,663 Likes Received
    Dude. It's an invasion.

When the Chinese launch their surprise attack on US soil, they'll likely capture some territory before they're stopped by US forces. Texas will be among the conquered states. Consequently, you and I will retreat into the Texas Hill Country where we will wage a guerrilla war.

There will be many others with us; however, because they aren't main characters, they will die off rather quickly.

Naturally, you and I will be around until end of the movie...er...conflict, upon which none, one, or both of us may be killed. Of course, our deaths will be meaningful and dramatic.
  12. Royal Laegotti

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received

[IMG]
    Maybe change it to "Texas Thunder".
  13. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Oh I like that! The first part of the story could be me fleeing from Seattle, whose large Asian population has gone rogue, meeting up with some forces in Montana/Wyoming and making my way down to Austin. There my battle weary troops would run into your men and we'd have to hold down a bridge, 'Saving Private Ryan' style. You can be Matt Damon or Tom Hanks, who do you want to be?
  14. Royal Laegotti

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received

:eek:
    Why is it that everytime I post a picture it turns into a box with a little red x in it? What am I doing wrong?
  15. Royal Laegotti

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How about that little coward guy who couldn't shoot the German and let his fellow soldier be killed.:p: j/k
  16. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,320 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    in fairness you could say the same about america. not interested in getting into an argument about the merits of the u.s. military budget just saying that you could apply the part in bold as easily to america as china.
  17. STAR GAZER

STAR GAZER Benched

2,047 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Not too loud. Confronting neurotic tendencies can label you Anti-American.
  18. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,320 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    i would also say the same about the u.k.
  19. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    That's how we defeated the U.S.S.R., military spending and the understanding that we are more than equipped to handle ourselves in physical conflict.

The threat of physical conflict is lessened and with such a bargaining chip/threat, the Chinese can widen their sphere of influence and become a world leader.

Everybody wants power.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,160 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    It is all about power and China wants more. Plus they are still communists and they always want a very strong military to keep power. They know they got power because they were stronger then the Nationalists and they never forget that. And since their military is their insurance that they keep power it always gets what it wants. Add to that the huge presence their military has in factories and such and its no surprise.
    What is different about the current build up just started is the emphasis on naval ships which they never had before. They are even starting to talk about carriers, which realistically they have no need of if they are so called strictly a defensive military. They are also starting to work on long range power projection= which on a small scale only France and the UK have right now outside of us. A LOT of what we spend on the defense budget goes to supporting our infrastructure and power projection capabilities.
    China is going to find out just how expensive that is and how long it takes to build and deploy. If they are serious about carriers they are also going to find out how tough that is to do well.